Mens Tennis Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Varieŕy and attractiveness mean nada

The goal is to win
Individually, this is true. However, from the point of view of the health of the sport, variety and attractiveness are very important. If you have a player who is winning everything but whose style is boring and unappealing to most people, you will get less spectators, less sponsors, less money etc...

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
They might as well be hitting against a wall or against a ball machine. Nothing appealing, just the typical baseline game of hitting flat, deep and hard, ball after ball. Medvedev and Zverev are like the Lindsay Davenport of men's tennis.
I know you like Nadal. Isn’t Nadal game also similar?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Individually, this is true. However, from the point of view of the health of the sport, variety and attractiveness are very important. If you have a player who is winning everything but whose style is boring and unappealing to most people, you will get less spectators, less sponsors, less money etc...
Health of the sport he said

Tennis fans will remain tennis fans and obsession with casual tennis fans will bring only ruin for tennis in the future

·
Registered
863 Posts
Health of the sport he said

Tennis fans will remain tennis fans and obsession with casual tennis fans will bring only ruin for tennis in the future
I certainly don't agree with bending over backwards to try and accomodate casual fans. I completely disagree with any suggestions that slams should be played best of 3 sets, for instance. However, I do think organisers could look at speeding up courts to try and shift the balance back towards attack a bit. I understand why the courts were originally slowed down but I think it has gone too far in that direction now.

·
Registered
508 Posts
To be fair, I think every coach in the world teaches their players to emulate Djokovic's game. It is the most effective and viable option for 99% of the tennis players. Play solidly, defend while and go for winners when you are in a good position. Novak and Murray have a very well-rounded game so if guys like Zverev and Medvedev can play like that yet also have a bit bigger serve due to their height, it is a great combination.

Nobody can emulate Federer because he is just so naturally skilled that it can't be replicated, while Nadal's is so unorthodox that it can only work for him.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
To be fair, I think every coach in the world teaches their players to emulate Djokovic's game. It is the most effective and viable option for 99% of the tennis players. Play solidly, defend while and go for winners when you are in a good position. Novak and Murray have a very well-rounded game so if guys like Zverev and Medvedev can play like that yet also have a bit bigger serve due to their height, it is a great combination.

Nobody can emulate Federer because he is just so naturally skilled that it can't be replicated, while Nadal's is so unorthodox that it can only work for him.
Does that include slice-botting / pushing and bh error-botting?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I certainly don't agree with bending over backwards to try and accomodate casual fans. I completely disagree with any suggestions that slams should be played best of 3 sets, for instance. However, I do think organisers could look at speeding up courts to try and shift the balance back towards attack a bit. I understand why the courts were originally slowed down but I think it has gone too far in that direction now.
Just be careful what you wish for

Let's give these monster men quicker courts 🤔

·
Premium Member
62,445 Posts
Djokovic has Amazing game with more Variety than Fakerer and breathtaking to watch like of course players are going copy him great for longevity as well.
A problem with that statement, while beauty is in the eye of the individual, variety is not. Federer has more variety than Djokovic, this we can state with absolute certainly. Whether or not you want to see variety is another thing. I'm sure opinions differ.

As for longevity, Federer has lasted reasonably well for someone who started out with a back problem, wouldn't you say?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
A problem with that statement, while beauty is in the eye of the individual, variety is not. Federer has more variety than Djokovic, this we can state with absolute certainly. Whether or not you want to see variety is another thing. I'm sure opinions differ.

As for longevity, Federer has lasted reasonably well for someone who started out with a back problem, wouldn't you say?
I agree with Federer having a more beautiful game …. Even being a Djokovic fan.

Federers game is widely admired as aesthetically beautiful — and I agree with that. It’s also effortless - Federer always seems to be spending less effort to win points.

Reactions: Jack Theripper

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I agree with Federer having a more beautiful game …. Even being a Djokovic fan.

Federers game is widely admired as aesthetically beautiful — and I agree with that. It’s also effortless - Federer always seems to be spending less effort to win points.
Therein lies a paradox, even though I agree with you, I still enjoy watching the way Djokovic constructs points more than the way Federer does it.
Tennis is weird in the sense that most fans equate more power with more aestheticism.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yes, of course. I personally prefer Federer's game, but it's up to you whether you find Djokovic's game more beautiful. Beauty is subjective per definition. You can investigate what the majority of people find beautiful, and probably Federer's game would be ahead of Djokovic's in such a survey, but that doesn't mean someone who has another view is wrong. Actually, the world would be extremely boring if everyone had the same taste.
Would you believe there are guys who eat sheet?? It`s true, I swear:eek::eek:

·
Registered
Nadal
2,418 Posts

Federer just serveboting with outdated baseline game don't see more Variety than Djokovic at all so it's not Absolutely Certainly only in your eyes lol. Djokovic-Nadal games is more modern & beautiful than Federer who just serveboting & Error-botting, Also that more Variety are you on about?. there's not a shot that Federer does that I not see Djokovic also do himself or Nadal, simply saying Fakerer has more Variety without giving example is weak Argument 😉.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts