Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

”It was the toughest victory in my life because Dominic is a really tough player to play,” said Medvedev. “I think today he was at his best… That's what I felt during the match. He was really close to winning it [in the] second set. I managed to stay there. I felt in the third set that I was really tired physically, for sure, but I felt like he started to miss some balls, he started to run a little bit slower because he was tired.

”To make Dominic tired in a three-set match, not a five-set, I think is a great achievement. All these small things, Dominic is playing as [of] today [as] one of the best players in the history [of the sport], not yet maybe by the titles and Grand Slams, but as I say, playing [with the form of] today.”

Quite a claim to make.

·
Read Only
138 Posts

”It was the toughest victory in my life because Dominic is a really tough player to play,” said Medvedev. “I think today he was at his best… That's what I felt during the match. He was really close to winning it [in the] second set. I managed to stay there. I felt in the third set that I was really tired physically, for sure, but I felt like he started to miss some balls, he started to run a little bit slower because he was tired.

”To make Dominic tired in a three-set match, not a five-set, I think is a great achievement. All these small things, Dominic is playing as [of] today [as] one of the best players in the history [of the sport], not yet maybe by the titles and Grand Slams, but as I say, playing [with the form of] today.”

Quite a claim to make.

·
Registered
17,890 Posts
Lot of nicebotting and euphemism in recent final reviews by the winners though.
Thiem played at a high level, no doubt, however claiming as having played as of yesterday as one of the best players in tennis history considering all levels is quite a stretch.
I get that it is difficult to make Thiem tired in a Bo3 match and this is what Medvedev also referring to, but this is an exaggeration.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
22 ue off the fh...Yeah,great lvl by Dom xd

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Not even close to being true, Thiem's performance was nothing special at all. The serve worked well, just like it did in the entire tournament, but other than that he was really mediocre. ROS was meh at best, again just like in the entire tournament, and his biggest weapon, the FH, let him down dramatically. In the sole service game in which he got broken he must have made like five bad FH errors, and the virtual MP he wasted in the 2nd set was also a missed FH putaway. It's becoming a theme with Dominic that his level drops in the final of a big tournament, that his best match is always the semi- or quarterfinal, and that honestly starts to worry me a little bit.

·
Bring it Home
20,484 Posts
Medvedev wasn't very good, I think it was his worst match in the tournament. He actually gifted the 1st set and also tried to gift the 2nd, but Thiem refused to take it.

Daniil played a good TB in the 2nd set and was the smarter player in the 3rd though.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Both didn´t play their best tennis in that final.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Medvedev wasn't very good, I think it was his worst match in the tournament. He actually gifted the 1st set and also tried to gift the 2nd, but Thiem refused to take it.

Daniil played a good TB in the 2nd set and was the smarter player in the 3rd though.
For me, he wasn't better or worse than against Rafael Nadal. It was probably a bit below his level from the group stage although we have to consider the worse matchups...

·
Super Moderator
12,293 Posts
Interviews are a great chance for a player to put "foot in mouth" , most of the time a lot lost in translation :censored:

·
Registered
601 Posts
I think from the Russian's perspective the match was all the more difficult that he had to overcome the slice strategy and constantly come to the net, which is unnatural for him. So that's why he said that. But yeah Thiem played better matches than this one.

·
justice for all
16,221 Posts
Nice words from Daniil but not really true. Dominic was playing far below his peak, especially in set 3.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thiem game is extremely physical and he gassed out. He was close to gassing out against Djokovic too, but Novak refused to hit with more pace, so Thiem was left free to hit as many winners as he likes. No such luck with Medvedev.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts