Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching the final between Nishikori and Medvedev and was caught by similarity of Davydenko and Medvedev. Both have that crushing style baseline style that is attack forward and taking the ball on the rise.

Medvedev has a superb backhand and an above average slingshot forehand. He hugs the baseline and has a booming serve like Roddick or Kyrgios. It seems like Davydenko, his biggest weakness is variety and when people mix it up on him. But when he gets into baseline to baseline exchanges he turns into Playstaionevdev and can "press X" for a flat shot that will pain the line or a "press B" for a top spin shot that will take his opponent way out wide to the rafters.

Anyone else agree with this comparison or do you disagree?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I loved Davydenko's groundstrokes, they were "mechanical", but so fluid at the same time. As for Medvedev I'm not of a fan of his technique, but I have to admit that he has a lot of touch in his shots. So I'm surprised that his tennis is quite one-dimensional, he doesn't use this touch in other shots like volleys, slices, dropshots.

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Playstation had a better forehand, but Bratvedev has a sexier backhand. I kinda despise the guy's attitude but love his funky style at times.
Definitely. I feel they both kind of had/have a funky style. Davydenko was more compact, but both guys seem to be superb movers and have that capbility of playing lights out aggressive baseline tennis.

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Conservative version of Flo Mayer with better serve
But Funky Flo is an all court player. Their strokes and techniques are sort of similar, but their play styles seem pretty far apart.

·
Banned
1,518 Posts
A little more wiry and longer limbed than Davydenko but good comparison.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Doesn't look anything like Davy to me.
Davy was a much much smaller guy who had incredible movement and incredible timing.

Med moves well for 6'6" and obviously has good timing, but nothing like Davy. Davy took the ball way earlier.
Med has a huge serve also.

Sorry, don't see it.

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doesn't look anything like Davy to me.
Davy was a much much smaller guy who had incredible movement and incredible timing.

Med moves well for 6'6" and obviously has good timing, but nothing like Davy. Davy took the ball way earlier.
Med has a huge serve also.

Sorry, don't see it.
I don't accept your apology.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Lots of Eastern Europeans play this type of tennis that is more "robotic" and relies heavily on timing and taking the ball on the rise. It's just the way that tennis coaching happens over there, it's more about fed balls and volume early in their development. It's one of the reasons why Eastern European women are so dominant in the sport, as that basically is the game on the women's tour.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
you could just say "a giant version of Davydenko" -- without the "reincarnated" part. Davydenko's not dead. :shrug:

·
justice for all
13,091 Posts
OP - it's a big stretch to compare the two. Davy's style was different. He took the ball earlier more consistently and his FH technique was much cleaner. He was a much better mover too. Maybe Medvedev has got a better serve but that's about it.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Playstation had a better forehand, but Bratvedev has a sexier backhand. I kinda despise the guy's attitude but love his funky style at times.
I thought the guy as your avy was the brat , didn't get that from Medvedev at all, ever, but the usual cold distant russian behaviour who doesn't care for interactions and reacts if bothered like what happened in their incident :scratch:

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I was watching the final between Nishikori and Medvedev and was caught by similarity of Davydenko and Medvedev. Both have that crushing style baseline style that is attack forward and taking the ball on the rise.

Medvedev has a superb backhand and an above average slingshot forehand. He hugs the baseline and has a booming serve like Roddick or Kyrgios. It seems like Davydenko, his biggest weakness is variety and when people mix it up on him. But when he gets into baseline to baseline exchanges he turns into Playstaionevdev and can "press X" for a flat shot that will pain the line or a "press B" for a top spin shot that will take his opponent way out wide to the rafters.

Anyone else agree with this comparison or do you disagree?
Basically

1) Medvedev game is more based on power than Kolya's which was more based on rythm (taking ball early à la Djokovic).

2) Medvedev main asset is his serve when Kolya's was return which basically made Daniil more of an attacking and Kolya more of a defensive counterpushing player.

I guess if Medvedev was born in Samoas nobody would have even compared

·
Registered
619 Posts
Not at all for me. Davydenko was an incredible defensive player who took the ball earlier, his weakness was his serve. Medvedev is not a defensive player, he attacks the ball, has a good serve and can make many UE because he takes too risk.

·
3,235 Posts
I thought the guy as your avy was the brat , didn't get that from Medvedev at all, ever, but the usual cold distant russian behaviour who doesn't care for interactions and reacts if bothered like what happened in their incident :scratch:

Medvedev got defaulted for racism, and threw coins at an ump.

·
Registered
14,074 Posts
Um, I see no resemblance?

Medvedev is a funky just solid baseline type player with a huge serve, Davy was a baseline monster on both wings with a lacking serve.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Medvedev got defaulted for racism, and threw coins at an ump.
Medvedev got defaulted for racism for saying - "I know you are friends (umpire and Young), I'm sure of it". Racism my ass.
He didn't threw coins at the umpire directly, but by the foot of Umpire's chair, which is a gesture, not violence. Umpire was Mariana Alves, one of the most corrupt umpires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts