Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mcenroe: "My top 4 are Laver, Sampras, Roger and Nadal, but Novak is #5. Above Borg."

:haha: :haha: :haha:

ROFL - WHAT AN INSULT TO BORG

No offense to Djokovic, i don't especially like him but I still have a great deal of respect for him and he is a great player. Fantastic performance today to stop Federer for #18 :worship::worship::worship:

But top 5 is set in stone right now with 11+ slams and Djokovic isn't even close to their accomplishments: Borg, Fed, Laver, Nadal, Sampras (no particular order).

Djokovic needs minimum 2 slams (1 being the FO) to EVEN be in the discussion. He would still be behind in my book Laver (double CYGS :bowdown:) and Borg (all time dominance at FO and WB, AO wasn't important than).

Once he gets to 11 the discussion can begin. If gets to 12+, then yes, he can safely claim to be top 5 all time. For now, this comment is absurd.

Of course, Mcenroe is a gloryhunter that follows who has been winning recently.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Re: Mcenroe on ESPN: Djokovic is already top 5 all time

I wish mugs would stop comparing eras when the game was completely different.

·
Federer Fan & Dull Hater
11,399 Posts

Typical bandwagoning.

Mcenroe, Wilander clowns of the highest order.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

:yeah: to McEnroe for telling the truth. Federer also said Djokovic is top 4 (see my signature).

I would take opinion of 24 slam winners over opinion of butthurt haters on MTF any day. :wavey:

Reactions: Sham Kay Adams

·
6,610 Posts

Typical bandwagoning.

Mcenroe, Wilander clowns of the highest order.
They are clowns with 7 Slams a piece, and hence more qualified to judge than you and I.
Novak has just leapfrogged a whole bunch of 8 Slammers, that is not a bandwagon, but facts.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

They are clowns with 7 Slams a piece, and hence more qualified to judge than you and I.
Novak has just leapfrogged a whole bunch of 8 Slammers, that is not a bandwagon, but facts.
Agreed, but he is still not close to top 5 all time. You can still make an argument for various 8 slammers being better than Djokovic (Agassi - all 4 slams + olympic gold, Lendl - more weeks at #1 and more grand slam finals, Connors - longevity). I agree Novak is better than them but you can make an argument for them. You can't realistically make an argument that Novak is better than any of the current top 5 without the FO and being 2 slams behind.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
Re: Mcenroe: "I'd put Djokovic up there in the top five all time. I'd put him with Bo

Borg > Sampras

·
Banned
1,606 Posts

:yeah: to McEnroe for telling the truth. Federer also said Djokovic is top 4 (see my signature).

I would take opinion of 24 slam winners over opinion of butthurt haters on MTF any day. :wavey:
Did you give him the same credence when he said Nadal was the GOAT a few years back?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Re: Mcenroe: "I'd put Djokovic up there in the top five all time. I'd put him with Bo

So disrespectful to all those ahead of Nole in GSs. Just like with Serena - disrespecting Steffi and Smith-Court. Sure the future looks bright but anything can happen. Wait until it does happen.

·
Federer Fan & Dull Hater
11,399 Posts

Agreed, but he is still not close to top 5 all time. You can still make an argument for various 8 slammers being better than Djokovic (Agassi - all 4 slams + olympic gold, Lendl - more weeks at #1 and more grand slam finals, Connors - longevity). I agree Novak is better than them but you can make an argument for them. You can't realistically make an argument that Novak is better than any of the current top 5 without the FO and being 2 slams behind.
Thanks for the answer but you won 0 slams and since Mcenroe and Wilander have won 7 anything they says is a fact apparently.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks for the answer but you won 0 slams and since Mcenroe and Wilander have won 7 anything they says is a fact apparently.
You think Djokovic is better than Borg? He's not even in your signature for a reason as a grand slam legend in the top 5.

·
Banned
2,160 Posts

2015 Mcenroe: "I'd put Djokovic up there in the top five all time. I'd put him with Borg"

2016 Mcenroe: "I'd put Djokovic up there in the top four all time. I'd put him above Borg"

2017 Mcenroe: "I'd put Djokovic up there in the top 2 all time. I'd put him above Sampras and Nadal"

2018 Mcenroe: "I'd put Djokovic up there with Fed as both the greatest of all time"

2019 Mcenroe: "Djokovic is the undisputed GOAT"

2020 Djokovic: "I know"

·
Registered
7,042 Posts

Djokovic has a solid claim for being in the top 5 of the Open Era now though, along with Federer, Sampras, Nadal and Borg.

·
Federer Fan & Dull Hater
11,399 Posts

You think Djokovic is better than Borg? He's not even in your signature for a reason as a grand slam legend in the top 5.
I was being ironic and making fun of DerekHV. ;)

Of course Novak is not in the top 5.

I think he can get there but he isn't.

Also despite Wilander and Mcenroe being great champions they hype anything and everything, that's their job working in tennis media. They try to promote tennis by hyping new players and bandwagoning the players that are at the top at the time.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts

djoker is the undisputed goat. only a matter of time before he cements it by winning the majors. believe me folks it hurts me to say it but its the truth.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

He is open era top 5 if you discount Laver. 9 Majors says it all.
But, today's game is different than past eras, I can see number of double digit major winners growing in the future, surface differences are gone, 4 majors per year(instead of 3 Borg time), and players has longer peak.

a lock for top 5 now, maybe no so some year down the road.

·
Registered
695 Posts

:haha: :haha: :haha:

ROFL - WHAT AN INSULT TO BORG

No offense to Djokovic, i don't especially like him but I still have a great deal of respect for him and he is a great player. Fantastic performance today to stop Federer for #18 :worship::worship::worship:

But top 5 is set in stone right now with 11+ slams and Djokovic isn't even close to their accomplishments: Borg, Fed, Laver, Nadal, Sampras (no particular order).

Djokovic needs minimum 2 slams (1 being the FO) to EVEN be in the discussion. He would still be behind in my book Laver (double CYGS :bowdown:) and Borg (all time dominance at FO and WB, AO wasn't important than).

Once he gets to 11 the discussion can begin. If gets to 12+, then yes, he can safely claim to be top 5 all time. For now, this comment is absurd.

Of course, Mcenroe is a gloryhunter that follows who has been winning recently.
How exactly is Nadal above Djokovic set in stone?

#StopDelusions2k15

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

As big a Novak fan as I am I wouldn't say he's top 5 just yet, at least achievement wise. Game and level wise he's undoubtedly top 5.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts

I would put him ahead of Sampras and Federer now. Needs an RG to overtake Nadal.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts