Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sad news as matthew barton, former #201 player in the world(last year), dediced to call it a career

after improving on the future tour, slowly but not stopping, had a breakthrough in aussie summer last year, winning a challenger title and playing all grand slam qualies in 2013 too

injuries stopped his progression, and after months out, he tried to play again, but not successfully. then more months out, and just came back to play some more futures, winning 3 consecutive doubles titles just 1 month ago

he had to retire on his last match as a pro, 2 weeks ago

i ve been following matt since he started playing futures, he came to spain to train with kubler being coached by felix mantilla, and have followed him through slam qualies as well. there are no words to express what i feel right now

i will miss you, matty :sad:

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
surprising. I felt like he was good enough to be able to hang in there around the 150 range once he got there, but those injuries stopped him. Sucks.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Source?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Sometimes it is odd how quickly things can change. Early last year things looked really good for him, even raise to top 100 wouldn't have surprised me a bit. Yet a bit over year later from that there is nothing left of that but promise that shown from past :rain: . Not like I still particulary liked about this guy though, just another challenger level guy biting dust tbqh :shrug: , absolutely nothing to see here as life goes on as always.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Thanks for ruining my day mate.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
For once, you mention the retirement of a notable player... He is/was an interesting player to watch. Too bad he had this injury (knee if I remember well?) last year, he was on his way to the top 100 before that in my opinion (1 CH + 2 SFs at the beginning of 2013).

This decision is quite surprising considering his age, but you could also feel that he was struggling a lot to come bakc this year and never was the same. I guess he couldn't train as he wants to.

Good luck to him :yeah:

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Oh no, I thought this was the "Bartoli retires" thread and I wanted to laugh at her recent exploits...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts