Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mats Wilander, a former world No.1 who is presenting [email protected] during The Championships, has created his ideal Fantasy Wimbledon player. Here’s the competitor he would create if he had an unlimited budget – game users cannot spend more than 1,000 stars.

SERVE: "I would take Milos Raonic because his serve is very consistent. He gets a lot of power, and because of his technique, there's consistency, too."

POWER: "I'm going to take Novak Djokovic for his groundstrokes."

RETURNS: "Definitely Novak Djokovic again. What makes his return so effective is that he takes the ball early on both sides. And he sometimes runs around his backhand and attacks a second serve with his forehand. He can do that because of the way he hits his forehand. He has a lot of options."

NET PLAY: "Radek Stepanek."

MIND: "I would take Maria Sharapova's mind in the women's game. From the outside, her mind seems to be stronger than anyone else's in the women's tournament. The signals she sends on the court, Sharapova seems to have the perfect mind for tennis. In the men's game, you would go for Rafa Nadal, even when he's having a bad day."

·
10,272 Posts
Mats Wilander, a former world No.1 who is presenting [email protected] during The Championships, has created his ideal Fantasy Wimbledon player. Here’s the competitor he would create if he had an unlimited budget – game users cannot spend more than 1,000 stars.

SERVE: "I would take Milos Raonic because his serve is very consistent. He gets a lot of power, and because of his technique, there's consistency, too." :lol: Not picking Isner or Karlovic

POWER: "I'm going to take Novak Djokovic for his groundstrokes." :lol:...Umm Del Potro, Tsonga, Berdych, Wawrinka, etc.???

RETURNS: "Definitely Novak Djokovic again. What makes his return so effective is that he takes the ball early on both sides. And he sometimes runs around his backhand and attacks a second serve with his forehand. He can do that because of the way he hits his forehand. He has a lot of options." :worship:

NET PLAY: "Radek Stepanek." :worship:

MIND: "I would take Maria Sharapova's mind in the women's game. From the outside, her mind seems to be stronger than anyone else's in the women's tournament. The signals she sends on the court, Sharapova seems to have the perfect mind for tennis. In the men's game, you would go for Rafa Nadal, even when he's having a bad day."
Lol

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Wilander is right; Djokovic has power, more than simple minded tennis folk realise / appreciate.... however to choose him over Wawrinka for attribute, is ludicrous.

·
Registered
322 Posts

about Fantasy Wimbledon. :devil:

·
Banned
109 Posts
djokovic for power? seriously?
i've just watched him lose 4 straight slam matches to Nadal including US Open.
not much power to be seen.....when compared to the ball-bashers.
he seems to win points with his running and stretching more so :eek:

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Is he confusing "power" with something else?

Safin, Delpo, Tsonga, and Berdych all hit harder than him. Even Federer's forehand used to be harder than Novak's current one.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
Wilander is right; Djokovic has power, more than simple minded tennis folk realise / appreciate.... however to choose him over Wawrinka for attribute, is ludicrous.
I think he meant Novak plays the ball more cleanly and sharply, apart from producing power when he needs it.
And clearly he has the best groundstrokes in the game.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wilander's perfect competitor will fall to pieces once Serena Williams is on the other side of the net. Maria Sharapova for mental... really?

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
I think he meant Novak plays the ball more cleanly and sharply, apart from producing power when he needs it.
Berdych should have been his pick then because nobody hits harder and cleaner than him.

·
Banned
109 Posts
let me get this straight......Djokovic is known as the best returner in the game......but you say he also has the best groundstrokes? :eek:

so why does Nadal lead the tour in all the returning stats for 2014?
is it because Nadal has superior groundstrokes, or superior return? neither? :confused:

·
Banned
9,211 Posts

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
Berdych should have been his pick then because nobody hits harder and cleaner than him.
Berdych hits hard and flat, but that doesn't mean he has the best groundstrokes, because he hasn't. Nor does Del Potro or Wawrinka.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts