Look at "your" mental giant Rafael Nadal in years 2003-04:
Code:
Bastad:       Lapentti		6-3 3-6 6-7(6) - 5 MPs, 5th on serve
US Open:      El Aynaoui	6-7(6) 3-6 6-7(6)  - 3:0 in 1st & 3:1 in 2nd TB
Basel:        F.Lopez		6-3 3-6 6-7(4) - 5:2* in 3rd
Lyon:         Hrbaty		3-6 5-7 - 5:1* in 2nd & 4 SPs wasted
Auckland:     Hrbaty		6-4 2-6 5-7  - 4:1* in 3rd
Indian Wells: Calleri		4-6 6-3 6-7(10) - 2 MPs, one on serve
Stuttgart:    Ferrer		3-6 7-6(3) 5-7 - 3 MPs, all on serve at 5:4 (40/0)
Cincinnati:   Chela		4-6 6-4 6-7(3)  -  5:2* in 3rd
:wavey:
seriously? teenage Nadal is brining down the following ten years?
maybe you should take a closer look at Federer and Djokovics teen years... :eek:

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
oh my god and Robredo is in your top 5? these stats are absurd, you are over weighting certain things

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
60.25 vs. 60.00

^ It doesn't matter, Ferrer loses today 6-3 5-7 2-6 to Nadal, while Fed beats D'Joke 6-3 4-6 7-6 and the Swiss is above.

Six columns are more important than detailed percentages. I read the list more by columns, it tells me much more than the fact Isner is 54.75 while Gasquet 50.75. In 2015 it may be otherwise.
let's be logical here Voo
it's clear that your analysis is very flawed if someone using stats you can put Ferrer as mentally tougher than Federer.... Ferrer certainly isn't mentally tough with his records against the top 5 and with his last 7 consecutive losses in finals :facepalm:

absurd

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
oh my god and Montanes is # 5 hahahahhaha

why would you not add any calculation that takes in effect the number of matches players have been involved in, how long they have been playing, who they played against, etc. etc. etc.

this list of 'mentally strongest' is incredibly off due to what you DONT gauge

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Fed just played his 523rd tie-break in career against Djokovic overcoming Sampras' 522.

Fed & D'Joke still the best in tie-breaks in history %-wise, Nadal is fourth.

·
Super Moderator
62,002 Posts
let's be logical here Voo
it's clear that your analysis is very flawed if someone using stats you can put Ferrer as mentally tougher than Federer.... Ferrer certainly isn't mentally tough with his records against the top 5 and with his last 7 consecutive losses in finals :facepalm:
Why are you harassing this informative thread? If it is not for you, leave without comment. I find it very interesting myself.

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
^ Because he's Nadal worshiper and felt unwell when I displayed Nadal's tight defeats in years 2003-04, only because it's something Djokovic & Murray didn't experience at the beginning of their careers. He took it personally as an assault on his god-like figure.

·
Registered
27,177 Posts
Interesting stuff. I have noticed that Haas wins a lot of 7-5 sets despite being a mental gimp half the time.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
top two are Djokovic and Borg. No doubt.

Nadal is also near.

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
top two are Djokovic and Borg. No doubt.
Two strongest IMO - my general impression from the above-this thread view.
Nadal third.

·
Registered
21,262 Posts
^ Because he's Nadal worshiper and felt unwell when I displayed Nadal's tight defeats in years 2003-04, only because it's something Djokovic & Murray didn't experience at the beginning of their careers. He took it personally as an assault on his god-like figure.
This. It's quite sad.

Show some dignity, Mountaindewslave, you probably didn't even read the entire OP either.

·
Registered
27,177 Posts
mountaindewslave seems to PMS over the most random things at times.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Re: Matrix of mental toughness: 250+1 Open era players (psycho-stats)

So you're talking about every tennis match.
Sure, but you're not using "every tennis match" as an indication of mental toughness, you're using five setters and contriving them.

It's amazing how personal you seem to be taking this. I actually really enjoyed your other threads, and just had a small qualm with the content of this one. Had I known you'd be this sensitive to criticism, I would have passed on saying anything to begin with.

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)

Sure, but you're not using "every tennis match" as an indication of mental toughness, you're using five setters and contriving them.

It's amazing how personal you seem to be taking this. I actually really enjoyed your other threads, and just had a small qualm with the content of this one. Had I known you'd be this sensitive to criticism, I would have passed on saying anything to begin with.
Misinterpretation.

This thread is about every single match, it's about what happened and about what could have happened. It's manifested in all the numbers.

If you haven't understood read carefully this post, maybe you've overlooked.

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Top 10 players with the most wins in tight best of 3 matches:

Code:
64 - Sampras, Pete      (29+35)
58 - Rusedski, Greg     (25+33)
57 - Connors, Jimmy     (23+34)   
54 - Federer, Roger     (26+28)
53 - Chang, Michael     (21+32),    Tanner, Roscoe  (21+32) 
     Gomez, Andres      (15+38),    Alexander, John (14+39)
52 - Ivanisevic, Goran  (24+28)
51 - Roddick, Andy      (26+25)
"tight" means they won as many matches as you see being 8 points away from defeat or closer (it's explained in the opening post which scorelines are counted).

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
:facepalm:

it has nothing to do with my liking Nadal and I certainly don't 'worship' Nadal, in fact I am far more critical of him than many Nadal fans on this board

it's the absurd nature of taking stats and using them in such an arbitrary manner

Nadal's numbers are arguably better than Djokovic and Murray's. you chose the stats, you chose what to present. its a discussion board and I think you have truly lost your mind if you have somehow compiled numbers that put Montanes and Ferrer as drastically more 'mentally strong' than Federer. maybe you should have taken a look at your actual results before posting this, because anyone with any sense would have realized how silly the list is

Robredo at #1....... :facepalm:

remember, if you make, say, the finals of tons of 250s and play lots of 5 set matches in early rounds of Grand Slams, its going to hugely exaggerate your numbers in a thread like this

obvious reason, a player like Robredo doesn't last more than 3 sets against quality opponents and certainly has a hugeeee bulk of his statistics and numbers taken from 250s and tournaments of the like, the events he played most at it in his career

I respect statistics and information but what I don't respect his clowning around and picking certain stats and acting like your own whims on compiling them are fact

at any rate, if you can't swallow some grumpy posts from the likes of me then it's good you put me on ignore I suppose :wavey: good luck with doing that with people in real life

·
Registered
14,627 Posts

Misinterpretation.

This thread is about every single match, it's about what happened and about what could have happened. It's manifested in all the numbers.

If you haven't understood read carefully this post, maybe you've overlooked.
oh please :eek:

as though there is any full proof logic in what you picked and chose

entirely subjective, what matches and situations constitute more mental strength/weaknesses than other unknowns (fitness, strategy, matchups)

you're full of it

61 - 80 of 109 Posts