Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I remember watching Nadal vs Santoro in Doha some 5 years ago and thinking to myself there is no possible scenario where I can see Santoro defeating Nadal. It was in fact a moment when I thought to myself if they had just faced each other say 10 times Nadal would surely get a golden set against Santoro. Specially on clay.

It was the slice machine vs the slice killer. Trying to defeat Nadal without pace is surely impossible?

In any case, I just tried to imagine another matchup where surely never a player could defeat said other player. Needs to be kind of profilic players, or else it does not count. Any big server cant possibly be part of this, because they have the ability to win matches by only winning some important points on TB and being outplayed the rest of the match.

So far I have not been able to figure out a matchup so uneven as NAdal vs Santoro. Some that I had in mind that comes close:

Bautista Agut vs Federer
feels incredibly uneven the few time they have played.

Nadal vs Gasquet
feels just wrong in all kind of ways, Gasquet's BH is pulvarized by Nadal's FH and then what does he have left? I could include Haas vs NAdal aswell, but Haas got more weapons (better serve+FH+volleys) and I could see him get a win on Halle grass (if he ever returns to old abilities).

Nadal vs Monaco for obvious reasons. I think there is a mental problem involved however. If Nadal would play truly horrible and Monaco at his peak and somehow get rid of mental problems I could see Monaco get a win. But that is a big IF.

Added:

Nadal vs Robredo There is absolutely nothing Robredo can do to damage Nadal.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Nadal vs Federer right now

Federer vs any steady, rhythm-reliant grinders who lack a big weapon (Ferrer, Agut, Coric, etc...)

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nadal vs Federer right now

Federer vs any steady, rhythm-reliant grinders who lack a big weapon (Ferrer, Agut, Coric, etc...)
No way. I would put Federer even as favourite if they were to face indoors or Cincinatti or on Halle grass.

2013 was an oddity, tables have turned around and Nadal is now the one in a deep hole.

Ferrer can outplay Federer for 1 set, Coric showed himself capable of irritating Federer. They are not on Agut level.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Djokovic-Berdych
Djokovic-Murray
Federer-Goffin
You are not taking this seriously, I mean you really think Berdych and Murray wont ever defeat Djokovic again?

Federer-Goffin maybe. But I think Goffin could defeat a rusty Federer on clay.

This is turning into another tard war in disguise....

Stop mentioning big names, we all know Murray is in a mental hole against Djokovic but I doubt everyone will be so sure Murray wont defeat Djokovic if they were to face in a WImbledon final this year.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Murray vs. F. Lopez
Lopez has one of the biggest serves in tennis and can easily take Murray to several tiebreaks. He could most certanly defeat Murray.

This is certanly not Murray vs Joao Sousa (but Sousa is not profilic enought to be part of this thread).

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Federer had a bursted blood vessel in his hand that affected his groundstrokes. Seppi had purple patch that day where his forehand was actually very lethal. Anomaly.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He's not a grinder, but not a ballstriker either. So don't go defending Federer's loss, he's just not what he used to be.
Federer vs Seppi would almost count in this thread, that is the kind of loss that got me baffled. However Seppi got enough weapons to certanly be ranked above Agut and he also is a big guy, Federer and Nadal loves to play small guys.

I have seen Seppi at times play at a great level against the likes of Djokovic on big occasions, so there is a highest level he can play which means he can cause trouble even to Federer. Still that loss was very surprising.

Its probably akin to Nadal losing to Haas, I can see this happening on extraordinary events, Haas also getting alot of luck and playing on his perfect surface.

Robredo vs Federer was another one that had my jaw dropping.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
No way. I would put Federer even as favourite if they were to face indoors or Cincinatti or on Halle grass.

2013 was an oddity, tables have turned around and Nadal is now the one in a deep hole.

Ferrer can outplay Federer for 1 set, Coric showed himself capable of irritating Federer. They are not on Agut level.
I didn't say they can't trouble Federer in a short-periods of a match. I'm just saying that in the finish line, I can't see Federer losing to them even on a off day.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't say they can't trouble Federer in a short-periods of a match. I'm just saying that in the finish line, I can't see Federer losing to them even on a off day.
Federer can most certanly lose to Ferrer. Federer has so far been pushed against a wall against Ferrer on several occasions. It is the kind of matchup where you just wonder how many more matches he can go on winning before Ferrer finally gets one.

Coric is improving quickly and Federer was playing at his peak level in Dubai, I can see Coric winning against Federer easily already this year on a slower surface.

Federer vs Youzhny on the other hand...

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Federer can most certanly lose to Ferrer. Federer has so far been pushed against a wall against Ferrer on several occasions. It is the kind of matchup where you just wonder how many more matches he can go on winning before Ferrer finally gets one.

Coric is improving quickly and Federer was playing at his peak level in Dubai, I can see Coric winning against Federer easily already this year on a slower surface.

Federer vs Youzhny on the other hand...
i hope you are not serious. :confused:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts