Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Bring it Home
20,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed many posters generally use the H2H to say when a player has an advantage in a determined matchup. Well, many times the H2H doesn't tell us the truth IMHO.

Some examples:

Nadal 7-0 Gulbis - Gulbis dominated most of the matches and should've won at least 2 or 3 of those matches. He matches up Nadal well even on clay, despite the fact he never defetead him.

Nadal 12-2 Wawrinka - Well, that's explainable by the fact Wawrinka is mentally unstable and he was actually never a top player before 2013, but I think 12-2 is just too much.

Nadal 4-2 Fognini - Fognini obviously is a terrible matchup for Nadal, this could be at least 3-3 or 4-2 for the Fog, but he wasted many opportunities at RG 2013 and choked a incredible match later in Beijing.

Gasquet 4-0 Dimitrov - I watched 3 of the 4 matches, only one Gasquet dominated was Rome. Dimitrov controled the play in that RG's 2012 matche before cramping (7-5, 5-4 and serve) and also served for one match in one of those indoor tournaments and choked (also had match point on Gasquet's serve if I'm not wrong). Could be easily 2-2.

Any more matchups when the H2H is deceptive?

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Fedtards are gonna love this thread :lol:

Doesn't Gasquet also own Nishikori?

·
Bring it Home
20,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Fedtards are gonna love this thread :lol:

Doesn't Gasquet also own Nishikori?
Yes, but in this case the H2H tells the truth IMHO.. Well, I only watched one of the matches, but Richard was dominating the play.

Nadal 7-0 Nishikori
Djokovic 11-0 Monfils
Ferrer 15-0 Almagro
:lol:

Well said, Almagro choked at least 3 of those matches, including the biggest choke ever. :lol:

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Yes, but in this case the H2H tells the truth IMHO.. Well, I only watched one of the matches, but Richard was dominating the play.

:lol:

Well said, Almagro choked at least 3 of those matches, including the biggest choke ever. :lol:
Cincy 2006 - Missed 6 MPs in 2nd set
Valencia 2008 - was leading 5*-2 in 3rd set
Madrid 2012 - Missed 3 MPs
AO 2013 - Served for the match 3 times

·
Registered
12,675 Posts
I've noticed many posters generally use the H2H to say when a player has an advantage in a determined matchup. Well, many times the H2H doesn't tell us the truth IMHO.

Some examples:

Nadal 7-0 Gulbis - Gulbis dominated most of the matches and should've won at least 2 or 3 of those matches. He matches up Nadal well even on clay, despite the fact he never defetead him.

Nadal 12-2 Wawrinka - Well, that's explainable by the fact Wawrinka is mentally unstable and he was actually never a top player before 2013, but I think 12-2 is just too much.

Nadal 4-2 Fognini - Fognini obviously is a terrible matchup for Nadal, this could be at least 3-3 or 4-2 for the Fog, but he wasted many opportunities at RG 2013 and choked a incredible match later in Beijing.

Gasquet 4-0 Dimitrov - I watched 3 of the 4 matches, only one Gasquet dominated was Rome. Dimitrov controled the play in that RG's 2012 matche before cramping (7-5, 5-4 and serve) and also served for one match in one of those indoor tournaments and choked (also had match point on Gasquet's serve if I'm not wrong). Could be easily 2-2.

Any more matchups when the H2H is deceptive?
You basically created this thread only for this. Its enough sad.

·
Registered
14,476 Posts
Agree about the OP's examples with Gulbis and Wawrinka but not the one with Fognini :lol:
Fognini was lucky he played Nadal twice this year.

Nadal - Federer 23 / 10

Truth : GOAT cant be a Turkey so there must be something w!ong

The real H2H should be something like 25:5 for Nadal IMO. That would be more reflective of these players talents :p

·
Bring it Home
20,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Berdych 4-3 Gulbis - Ernie straightsetted Tomas at FO and Wimbledon.
:worship:

And those were complete dominations.

Good to see some posters are adding material to the thread instead of saying the OP is just taking a hit at their favorite players. :angel:

Agree about the OP's examples with Gulbis and Wawrinka but not the one with Fognini :lol:
Fognini was lucky he played Nadal twice this year.
I'm not completely sure. But I think Fognini served for the first set in that RG match and also was a break up in the 2nd. And he was destroying Nadal for a set and a half during the Beijing's match.

Anyway, the thread is not to say H2H should be X-Y and not a A-B, this is secondary. The point is to show matchups when the H2H can be misleading.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Djokovic vs Nadal. First of all, two of Nadal's victories over Djoker were because Djoker retired form injury. Second of all, most of them were before Djoker 2.0 showed up. Then there were incidents like another missed overhead at the 2008 Olympics, Djoker having match points against Nadal on clay and missing them, the contact lenses debacle.

Since then, Nadal has lost to Djoker more than he has won and many of his wins have been lucky. If Djoker hadn't have played in 2012 after his Grandfather slowly passed away, I doubt the streak would have ended. That is just for starter too. 2012 FO, Nadal and Toni demand play stops overnight as Djoker is battering Nadal. 2013 FO net touch, then Djoker chokes embarassingly at Montreal and the U.S. open. Then last year at the FO, he was winning and then his illness took hold.

·
Registered
14,476 Posts
I'm not completely sure. But I think Fognini served for the first set in that RG match and also was a break up in the 2nd. And he was destroying Nadal for a set and a half during the Beijing's match.

Serving for one set in a best 5 match doesn't mean that much. In Bejing Fog got breadsticked in the 3rd set and in the other two matches he lost he got destroyed.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
H2H doesn't matter much, Wawrinka never won against Nadal, but won easily in AO14 Final.
Exactly. Who cares about all the others when Stan beat him in their slam final? Much more important :worship:

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Fognini vs. Dimitrov 2-3: should be 5:0, Grindertrov was outplayed in all 5 matches, yet he fluked 3 wins.
This!

Also Wawrinka-Bulgariantrov is another travesty to modern tennis.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts