Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any matches come to mind? I remember a match where Federer trolled Del Potro by drawing him to the net a billion times. Any matches where players have done this as a gameplan?

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,556 Posts
Any matches come to mind? I remember a match where Federer trolled Del Potro by drawing him to the net a billion times. Any matches where players have done this as a gameplan?
Ouahab - GGL this year in Casablanca. That was some spectacle. GGL was ousted as the defending champion with Ouahab's crazy arsenal of shots, played Nishikori's returns, Djokovic backhands, Murray's lobs, Federer's volleys, and these dropshots...not only that he sometimes followed them in with lobs and volleys.

start from 5:17. There was even a dropshot to set up MP that nearly killed GGL trying to get to it. (he slipped badly)

·
53,556 Posts
Another one not quite the same, but Tsonga - Nadal AO SF 2008. Tsonga wasn't using dropshots per se but closed the net with drop/stop volleys and Nadal was scrambling but could never find range on them.

·
Registered
22,598 Posts
any match with Janowicz in it

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
^ I can't believe it took four matches for a Janowicz mention. Watch any match of his from Paris '12 especially.

Albert Portas frequented it against Juan Carlos Ferrero to win Hamburg in '01.

Muray used to abuse it as well when he first came on the scene. He toyed with Roddick in the Wimbledon 2006 with the drop shot, and used it persistently against Nadal in AO '07.

More recently, wasn't that much of Djokovic's gameplan against Wawrinka in the RG Final?

Melzer used to use it very well also. I think he's even called it his favorite shot, but I can't think of any one match where he abused it.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
exactly the match that comes to mind when speaking drop shots :)

interesting enough, only one of those DSs was on Pony's FH side. must be a strategy, never thought about that, hmm.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Djokovic-Dolgopolov in 2011 on some HC, can't remember which tournament exactly, but I remember Dolgo annoying the hell out of me for hitting dropshots for the entire set on almost every point. Still, Novak won that match.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts

Also there was one match between Murray and Simon in MC I think. Simon injured his ankle but kept playing. Murray trolled him with drop shots for the rest of the match and was booed like crazy :lol:

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Djokovic-Dolgopolov in 2011 on some HC, can't remember which tournament exactly, but I remember Dolgo annoying the hell out of me for hitting dropshots for the entire set on almost every point. Still, Novak won that match.
Probably their USO 2011 match? Don't remember about the dropshots but they had a very lengthy tiebreak.

·
Registered
642 Posts
If I am remember correctly

Coria Nadal 2005 Rome Final. Coria used this against Nadal and pushed him to five sets (only 4 people did this in bo5 + soderling won in 4)

Djokovic Nadal past years especially this years RG Djokovic used dropshots quite often ( as well as against Wawrinka)

·
53,556 Posts

Also there was one match between Murray and Simon in MC I think. Simon injured his ankle but kept playing. Murray trolled him with drop shots for the rest of the match and was booed like crazy :lol:
Really? Quite sadistic from Murray (even so taking advantage, the guy's hampered enough in rallies as it is)

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Ljubicic tried to do the same thing to him when he cramped up in Paris one year and Simon won the match. :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts