Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Matches where you had to choose among your 2 fav players & later regretted the choice

Have there been instances where you had to choose between supporting two of your favourite players in key matches...where your choice ultimately won, but you regretted it later? I'll go with a couple of matches that i remember first...

1. Federer v/s Roddick Wimbledon 2009: This was Roddick's third Wimbledon final and even then it seemed like it would be his best chance. On the other hand Federer was going for history and for his 15th slam. Through the match I find myself almost cheering for both players at different points in time. Was happy when roddick won the first set, but had my heart in my mouth when he had 3 set points in the second and was happy that he flubbed them, because federer was never going to come back from 2 sets down. Then was happy when Roddick played a great 4th set and equalled the match again. But finally in the 5th set, went with supporting Roger, as a second fifth set loss and a second final loss at wimbledon would just be too heartbreaking. Even then, was sort of happy that the match kept going on and on in the fifth set. Eventually was happy at that point of time that federer won but in hindsight later was a little bit unhappy because roddick never made it that far ever later

2. Federer v/s DelPotro Indian Wells 2018: Went with supporting Del Potro in this match because it just isnt fair that del potro never had a masters title. For a while it looked like a straight set win, but was happy Roger could push it to a third. Then when Roger had match points, for the first time ever, I actually wanted him to choke it. And well he did oblige :) But this match turned out to be the almost the end of Roger's late career renaissance and turned out to be a turning point of sort for his 2018. He probably may never win a masters again, so that's another regret.

·
The special one
14,173 Posts
Re: Matches where you had to choose among your 2 fav players & later regretted the ch

I was pretty split when nole and Kei played in that USO SF in 2014, I was leaning towards Kei tbh, but after seeing how he crumbled in the final and the likely hood is if nole had won he would've likely went on and beat Cilic in the final and been closer to Fedal in the GOAT race, so its sometimes a regret rooting for Kei

·
justice for all
13,379 Posts
I was pretty split when nole and Kei played in that USO SF in 2014, I was leaning towards Kei tbh, but after seeing how he crumbled in the final and the likely hood is if nole had won he would've likely went on and beat Cilic in the final and been closer to Fedal in the GOAT race, so its sometimes a regret rooting for Kei
Your point is moot cause this monstrous version of Cilic would have crushed the Serbian player.

·
Premium Member
9,079 Posts
Re: Matches where you had to choose among your 2 fav players & later regretted the ch

Is the same thing when you hate both players and regret cheering for one applies with this Thread ?

Because if it is, I regret every time I rooted for Federer in Fedal when hating Nadal and his manners, before realizing in later stage like 2015 who is by far the better human being of both.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Also is there a reverse scenario where the player you supported lost, you were sad about it then but subsequently about it? For me, that would be the Federer Del Potro final in USO 2009. Though I was already a fan of Del Potro after 2009 RG SF ( a high quality match) with Roger, I was supporting Federer completely in this one. Though was very sad then that roger had lost, was subsequently happy about it considering its the only slam Del Po has won

1 - 6 of 6 Posts