Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
The thread title presupposes that Federer's legacy needs saving which is nonsense. In the world at large, this is a non-issue: witness Federer's world-record breaking Americas tour and annual Fan Favorite award. A result of a legacy built on his unmistakably beautiful yet ruthless style of play that has amassed scores of astonishing records and made him the most loved and popular player in history.

With his legacy secure, then the notion that he's only playing now to protect his legacy doesn't make sense. The simple truth is that no player in history has ever retired while in the top 10, so it would be ridiculous to expect Federer, who loves the game as much as anybody, to be the first one to do so.

So matches like the AO17 Final, or Federer's recent defeat of Djokovic at WTF only confirm his legacy. Even his loss in the longest Wimbledon final in history where a virtual 38 year-old has match points on a six-year younger #1 adds to his legacy, not detracts from it. The question would be more appropriately phrased: "Matches which best defined Federer's legacy".

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
So far what still mantains Roger at the status (goat) given a decade ago is his longevity, to be able to perform at top 3 level and make certain "stops" "keep in checks", as you say, to players much younger than him at the tender age of 38 y.o. is nothing short of astonishing and is what's keeping his legend alive. You can't ask for more, he certainly can't give more than that. No doubt . It's still majority agreement in the world of tennis/fans beyond h2h with co-legends and their success in this decade that's passing by.

However, it's not a given anymore or sure thing. All it takes is the taking over of his records.

If Nadal and Djokovic have a remotely as great aging then count on it, as sad as it'd be . The "worst" (inverted commas alert) part for Roger is that it will be "in his face" , so no excuses afterwards. He had a complete decade (the 10's) where he "failed" to sustain/protect his legacy with him playing (here age won't matter no more).

In turn having fought , competed until the end make him in my opinion one of the GREATEST competitors of all sports

Regardless All will be defined in the 20's anyway so bring it on.
Here I mean of course for the general public view and seek of "the one". In all fairness what they did with Borg as soon as Sampras won a couple more slams and with Roger afterwards.

My non fanboy opinion, I sustain it that the 3 are already goats at their respective stuffs

Peak Fed in fast courts (Indoor fast-Grass)
Peak Nole in mid-paced (HCs)
Peak Nadal in slow courts (Clay)

Tennis knowledgable fans should take a look at this perspective, remember? tennis has this variables unlike other sports. That's why it's unique
It's crazy to see so distinctive characteristics for each kind of court dominance and all coinciding at the same time.
It's like they perfected the game in all its variables and to a level we won't see again.

·
Your visions will happen
46,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Here I mean of course for the general public view and seek of "the one". In all fairness what they did with Borg as soon as Sampras won a couple more slams and with Roger afterwards.

My non fanboy opinion, I sustain it that the 3 are already goats at their respective stuffs

Peak Fed in fast courts (Indoor fast-Grass)
Peak Nole in mid-paced (HCs)
Peak Nadal in slow courts (Clay)

Tennis knowledgable fans should take a look at this perspective, remember? tennis has this variables unlike other sports. That's why it's unique
It's crazy to see so distinctive characteristics for each kind of court dominance and all coinciding at the same time.
It's like they perfected the game in all its variables and to a level we won't see again.
Next time we see some 3 players like this will be another 50 years

1954-1970 we had Gonzales, Rosewall, Laver
2004-2020 we have Federer, Nadal, Djokovic

I expect to see "mug eras" for the next several decades where we have multiple 5, 6, 7 slam champs etc., but I don't see anyone winning 10 for another 20 years, and 20 for another 50 years

·
Your visions will happen
46,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
but that's not how it works, does it? even i will happily admit fed being GOAT if he's still ahead at the slam count when all 3 of them are finally retired, but until then it's up for debate and rightfully so. history will remember the numbers, not superior score at a popularity pageant.
Absolutely I agree and Roger needs several more performances to keep Rafole at bay

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
He needs to do more to save his legacy. Beating Djokovic and Nadal in slams in 2020-2021 again.

I dont think he wants to retire from tennis easily being #3 seed. If he struggles to be in top 10 then is feasible.

In some matches like Wimb2008 he could have played better but choked all the BPs and shanking.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Definitely his epic match against Andy Roddick at Wimbledon.

·
Registered
135 Posts
but that's not how it works, does it? even i will happily admit fed being GOAT if he's still ahead at the slam count when all 3 of them are finally retired, but until then it's up for debate and rightfully so. history will remember the numbers, not superior score at a popularity pageant.
Not sure : Before Sampras, very few had in mind Emerson’s record. For the mainstream followers, Borg was the goat, and maybe Laver was for the most educated.

So all in all, popularity may have a better chance to pass the test of time than raw numbers.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts