Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
6,296 Posts
For Nole, 2014 Wimbledon is certainly up there.
But I also think that the crushing loss to Stanimal at RG 2015 was also very important, as it was the catalyst and motivation for the Nole Slam.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
For Nole, 2014 Wimbledon is certainly up there.
But I also think that the crushing loss to Stanimal at RG 2015 was also very important, as it was the catalyst and motivation for the Nole Slam.
I had not thought about it like that. Perhaps W 15, USO 15, AO 16, and RG 16 does not happen had Djokovic won RG 15. He was chasing RG for so long, that some burn out was to be expected.

Imagine this alternate timeline: Djokovic wins RG 15; Federer wins the following three slams. Instead, Djokovic wins four in a row - three against Federer. In hindsight, it was very good for Djokovic that he lost at RG 15.

·
10,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

Here is another one.

Murray goes on to win a bunch more tournaments and solidify himself as a threat on the tour.... while Gasquet slips down to mediocrity.

Both were 10 and 11 retrospectively , but now one guy will be forgotten , while the other has made British History...

Reactions: guitarra

·
Registered
948 Posts
Wawrinka AO 2014 QF for the better and Tsonga 2013 FO SF for the worse (although with him, injuries played their part as well) are a few great exampled mentioned already.

It would be easy to mention those that hampered Federer against Nadal and Djokovic but we all know them, so here are a few others:

2009 Wimbledon Final; Roddick did well enough in 2010, especially during mini-power vaccum that happened at the sunshine double (the failed promise of variety offered by the late 2009 and early 2010 season in general is absolutely staggering; we've had a decade of unprecedented monotony at the top of the game since then), but it utterly destroyed his belief to win a slam again; losing in 5 to Cilic in AO 2010 QF was his best grand slam performance after that.

2015 Monte Carlo final; this was the final nail in the coffin for Berdych. He had pretty decents results until late 2016 but after that loss, he was utterly hopeless against top opposition even more than before, with the exception of Miami 2017, where he got close, and Wimbledon 2017, where he got lucky with Djokovic's elbow problems.

2010 AO QF; Davydenko completely killed all the momentum he had built for himself there, although I would think the wrist injury he picked up shortly after that was even more crucial to his downfall.

Cilic's freak loss to Pella at Wimbledon 2018 after dominating the first two sets is also curious; after the best clay season of his career and the Queens win against Djokovic, he was a contender for the title more than on any occasion before. After that, it first seemed like a blip (he lost to Nadal in Toronto after a dominant first set, played Djokovic close in Cincinnati, won after being two sets down against De Minaur at the US Open), but his tenure at the top of the game has been over.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts

Here is another one.

Murray goes on to win a bunch more tournaments and solidify himself as a threat on the tour.... while Gasquet slips down to mediocrity.

Both were 10 and 11 retrospectively , but now one guy will be forgotten , while the other has made British History...
Dammit you....you stole my OP for tomorrow's classic match thread! ;)

That match changed the perception a little between Murray and general British public, I'll mention it more when I put up the thread on Monday.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
2008 AO semifinal, Djoker vs Federer.
Federer was defending champion and had beaten Nole in the R16 the year before.
Nole turned the tables, prompting "the King 👑. is dead 💀 cries" from Nole's parents.
Pivotal moment. Went on to claim AO throne & has matched Fed’s WB tally. And they claim the Serb only beat post prime Fed.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts