Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"for the first time in three years, I feel the gap's going my way." -- Andy Roddick, December 8th, 2006

"Prepare for an upset, say Borg and Wilander, as Federer looks at home"-- Guardian, June 8th, 2008

The two poignant examples of this era.....Any other instances??

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Well, technically, the statement before RG 2008 wasn't made by Federer. I'd say the RG 2007 applies more since after Hamburg he said he found the formula to beat Nadal on clay or something.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, technically, the statement before RG 2008 wasn't made by Federer. I'd say the RG 2007 applies more since after Hamburg he said he found the formula to beat Nadal on clay or something.
"I would have hoped, of course, to get more today than four games,” Federer said in French in a quiet, slightly sheepish voice as he addressed the crowd." New York Times, June 8th, 2008
Federer was still deluded, though :shrug:

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Obvious example was RG last year. Remember 5 out of the 7 ESPN "analysts" thought he was going to win after beating Rafa in Rome?

·
The Last Mohican
24,737 Posts
Oh how nice of you PileDrive... You made me a tribute thread. :angel:

Anyway the biggest bubble of delusion to be popped was at its pinnacle right after the Fedull SF in AO'14. Sampras made comments like Nadull was not looking to surpass Pete, but surpass Roger. His fans on MTF were incredibly arrogant and majority of small polls showed public opinion thinking that Nadull would surpass Roger in time.

After Stan man handled Nadull, that's the point in history where Nadull for all intents and purposes lost the GOAT race. Wasted momentum with USO/AO double, 2 CGS, going for 15 at RG - and ended in tears. After that match, all of the investors to this ponzi scheme withdrew their life savings that they mistakenly put on the wrong horse - and that caused the ponzi scheme to be exposed to the public. The jig was up, and the Fed(s) investigated this case of a fraudulently run enterprise.

·
The Last Mohican
24,737 Posts
Anyway, the reason Stan won that match was because Roger was simply supposed to be the greatest. Things were just meant to happen this way.

Roger Federer is supposed to be the greatest of all time. It was meant to be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts