Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
11,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tennis is pretty unique in the fact that there is no shot clock and you are in control of when you win or lose.

The difference between the locker room and another set and or losing the whole thing..
boils down to just a point here or there.

If someone is lucky they have the match points on the serve and have more control, sometimes its against the server...

Maybe we have some statistics gurus here, but Im curious if there is a statistic out there with how someone won or closed out a match?

Was it on an ace, forced error, winner , or the opponent hitting an unforced error?

Do you think you should go for the shot and risk your one chance at losing the match, be patient, or keep the ball in until the opponent misses?

·
11,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also this is not a 40-15 Federer thread... a general question.... if this turns into Federest vs. Djokovic fans, will be locked.

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Great thread.

I think it cant be answered unless knowing thec2 in question

·
Banned
11,000 Posts
Made this thread last year, maybe it helps a bit.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Depends on the circumstances, the opponent and the player himself. If the opponent is known to get tight in crucial moments put pressure on him, don't go for unnecessary risky shot. It will also depend on the player strengths and of course what is the score, who is serving etc...
There is no formula really

Reactions: Budadiii

·
Registered
16,148 Posts
You do what got you there or what you do best generally, or feel your confidence levels, or feel the moment if you suspect s certain rally could yield an error or beneficial position.

·
Your visions will happen
48,510 Posts
Great stats

62% of the match points ended in either a winner or a forced error. This says what I've always known. You gotta go for it. Doesn't mean you play reckless but you approach the point with an aggressive mindset

·
11,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great stats

62% of the match points ended in either a winner or a forced error. This says what I've always known. You gotta go for it. Doesn't mean you play reckless but you approach the point with an aggressive mindset
Its super tough though, because sometimes you are over eager and go for something instead of setting up the point with another shot or two.

Federer has been victim a few times, but as has everyone. One that comes to mind.... THAT is not 40-15 is Vs. SAFIN AO 2005. He went for a tweener , instead of a turn around forehand or lob..

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
When Jarkko Niemien was facing match points on his own serve he almost always did the same thing. More often than not match points are faced on the ad court. Nieminen, who rarely serve and volleys would hit a semi hard side spin first serve out wide with his lefty serve and then go in for an easy volley in the open court. He saved countless match points like this. Its smart, first of all because it gives him a routine, he doesnt have to wonder what kind of point he is gonna play. Secondly, when you have a match point on return and opponents has a first serve you are expecting the opponent to go for a big serve, thus you are very tense and you try to return neutrally to get into the rally. Its hard to go from that mindset to trying to hit a winner of a lefty first serve.

Back in the day (2012-ish) Nieminen had the most match points saved on tour. So I think routine is very important, as well as a change up to get a free póint. Nieminen also often used the same strat to save important break points

·
11,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depends on the circumstances, the opponent and the player himself. If the opponent is known to get tight in crucial moments put pressure on him, don't go for unnecessary risky shot. It will also depend on the player strengths and of course what is the score, who is serving etc...
There is no formula really
You do what got you there or what you do best generally, or feel your confidence levels, or feel the moment if you suspect s certain rally could yield an error or beneficial position.
Of course it depends on the match, situation and player.

One thing I find interesting is when ball bashers go into pushing mode on match point. Or the flashy player is ok with rolling the backhand back into play.

I feel like Monflis has been a victim of match points for his whole career. How many times has he pushed the ball and gone for a 10 point rally instead of blasting a forehand or hitting a powerful backhand?

·
11,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When Jarkko Niemien was facing match points on his own serve he almost always did the same thing. More often than not match points are faced on the ad court. Nieminen, who rarely serve and volleys would hit a semi hard side spin first serve out wide with his lefty serve and then go in for a. He saved countless match points like this. Its smart, first of all because it gives him a routine, he doesnt have to wonder what kind of point he is gonna play. Secondly, when you have a match point on return and opponents has a first serve you are expecting the opponent to go for a big serve, thus you are very tense and you try to return neutrally to get into the rally. Its hard to go from that mindset to trying to hit a winner of a lefty first serve.

Back in the day (2012-ish) Nieminen had the most match points saved on tour. So I think routine is very important, as well as a change up to get a free póint. Nieminen also often used the same strat to save important break points
Only you and two other people in the world probably know this stat :ROFLMAO:

·
Your visions will happen
48,510 Posts
Its super tough though, because sometimes you are over eager and go for something instead of setting up the point with another shot or two.

Federer has been victim a few times, but as has everyone. One that comes to mind.... THAT is not 40-15 is Vs. SAFIN AO 2005. He went for a tweener , instead of a turn around forehand or lob..
That one is overrated imo. Roger was well out of the point at that moment, he was losing the point regardless. See for yourself at 18:20

·
11,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That one is overrated imo. Roger was well out of the point at that moment, he was losing the point regardless. See for yourself at 18:20

Yeah I've seen it. Stil two other shots he could have hit.

One thing I've learned in tennis is make your opponent play another ball. Safin and or anyone else can always net an over head or hit the put away volley in the alley.

He wasn't in a winning position anyway shape or form , but should you go for the tweener down the line winner?

·
11,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This honestly would be a fascinating idea if done for the decade and also seeing what type of player hit each shot.

Was it Gilles Simon hitting a backhand winner or Wawrinka winning on an unforced error. Or Djokovic winning on a forehand winner return.. great way to see into the psychology of a players mindset on match point!

·
Your visions will happen
48,510 Posts
Yeah I've seen it. Stil two other shots he could have hit.

One thing I've learned in tennis is make your opponent play another ball. Safin and or anyone else can always net an over head or hit the put away volley in the alley.

He wasn't in a winning position anyway shape or form , but should you go for the tweener down the line winner?
Eh, I dunno, think Safin had it. Still think you should go big. Like Djokovic 2011 USO SF "The Shot"

2 MP he saved vs Fed in 2010 SF were both FH winners by Djoker as well iirc

·
11,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Eh, I dunno, think Safin had it. Still think you should go big. Like Djokovic 2011 USO SF "The Shot"

2 MP he saved vs Fed in 2010 SF were both FH winners by Djoker as well iirc
I cant be bothered to look, but I wouldn't be surprised if Djokovic is the Match Point GOAT.

AO 2014 he hit a lazy volley and idk... rarely is Djokovic on the receiving end of some terrible match point

·
Your visions will happen
48,510 Posts

·
11,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 22 Posts