Mens Tennis Forums banner

What is your pick for the Match of the 2010s Decade?

• [2010 WTF SF] - Nadal vs Murray

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [2019 RG R4] - Wawrinka vs Tsitsipas

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
46,605 Posts
2 more underrated 2 set matches

Murray def. Djokovic SF Olympics 2012

JMDP def. Djokovic R1 Olympics 2016

Don't sleep on these Olympics matches, players seem to always bring their best. Nadal 08 Olympics F vs Gonzalez probably his finest HC level

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
It's not an easy choice. One has to account level of play, drama and significance. In terms of level of play USO11 final would be one of my favourites but in terms of drama one has to favour 5-setters (i.e. Djoko-Wawa AO'13, Nadal-Djoko RG'13) and in terms of significance most important GS finals (like. AO'17, Wimby'19). There's no doubt that AO'12 had all of these factors so I'll choose it. That was a battle of absolutely epic proportions between two titans at their physical prime.

BTW I'm a bit surprised that AO'17 final has so many votes while Wimby'19 final (even more dramatic and equally significant) so few. Had the roles at Wimby been exchanged the poll would probably look completely different, methinks. It's also because Djoko fans chose other matches involving him (it was a tough choice).

·
justice for all
12,175 Posts
AO 2012 final is an extremely overrated match. The only thing worth remembering from it was its duration and some drama in the 5th. In fact both faker and dull were playing too defensively and far from their best in this match and that's one of the reasons why this grindfest lasted so long.

·
Your visions will happen
46,605 Posts
Finished watching 17 AO finals again. Too many early breaks and one sided sets for me. Only one set even went to 6-4.

Their 09 final was much better quality wise.

As for 2019 Wimbledon F, also very high quality, but I put it the same level with Wimbledon 07. 3 all time sets, 2 sets were meh

If we are talking about consistently high level from both players for the entirety of the match, AO 12 F and Olympics 16 F are the only two that have it. All these other matches have some lull for a set or two

·
Your visions will happen
46,605 Posts
Finally finished watching all of them

My final list

AO 12 F Nadal-Djoko
Wimbledon 18 SF Nadal-Djoko
Olympics 16 F Murray-Delpo
RG 13 SF Nadal-Djoko
RG 17 SF Murray-Wawrinka, most body destroying match ever arguably

Honorable mention to Doha 17 F, best 3 setter of the decade imo

That's my list and sticking to it. Only Fed match worth considering is RG 11 SF, this decade was Rafole decade with Murrinka mixed in

·
Registered
662 Posts
Isner Mahut of course, nothing can beat 70-68

In all seriousness I liked Djokovic Wawrinka AO 2013 cause Wawrinka went god mode and dragged Djokovic across the court like a puppet on a string and Djokovic found a solution and fought back to make every set a nail biter after the first and of course the 12-10 ending was crazy too. Not sure if it was the very best but it was a good match nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
7,022 Posts
One match that I haven't seen mentioned here.
Murray vs Del Potro Davis Cup 2016 (I think). It was in the same year as their Olympic final. The Olympic final was played at a really good level, but their Davis Cup match made it pale in comparison.

·
Premium Member
7,022 Posts
Lool at nosetards overrating the 2017 AO final. That wasn't even a GOOD match, let alone the best of the decade. Rafa played at 60% of the level he displayed against Divamug and the SA#1 was an error machine for half of that match. And most of the times he missed by miles.
That match was mediocre at best, but having it rated as highly just proves that Nosetards just care about the result and have no idea what great tennis looks like.

·
Premium Member
7,022 Posts
RG SF 2013 decider and USO F 2011 third set were the best quality sets I watched, but overall the matches didn't have the point by point quality (RG 2013) or drama (USO 11) to be regarded as the best of the decade.
The best matches from that list are:
Djokovic vs Wawrinka AO 13
Djokovic vs Rafa AO 12
Rafa vs Divamug AO 17
Rafa vs Djokovic WB 18

You have to give it to Djoker, he has an uncanny ability to win epic matches.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's not an easy choice. One has to account level of play, drama and significance. In terms of level of play USO11 final would be one of my favourites but in terms of drama one has to favour 5-setters (i.e. Djoko-Wawa AO'13, Nadal-Djoko RG'13) and in terms of significance most important GS finals (like. AO'17, Wimby'19). There's no doubt that AO'12 had all of these factors so I'll choose it. That was a battle of absolutely epic proportions between two titans at their physical prime.

BTW I'm a bit surprised that AO'17 final has so many votes while Wimby'19 final (even more dramatic and equally significant) so few. Had the roles at Wimby been exchanged the poll would probably look completely different, methinks. It's also because Djoko fans chose other matches involving him (it was a tough choice).
This x 10000

Level-wise, there were probably a few better (RG11 SF, USO11 F, AO13 R4), but this one had the best combo.
I’m not a huge fan of gladiator -tennis, but you can’t deny that it was a mesmerizing athletic performance from both.
To be honest, as a Fed fan, that day I thought it was over for my man. Tennis had entered a new era. But then Nadal became human again 2 years later...

·
Your visions will happen
46,605 Posts
Finally finished watching all of them

My final list

AO 12 F Nadal-Djoko
RG 13 SF Nadal-Djoko
RG 17 SF Murray-Wawrinka, most body destroying match ever arguably

Honorable mention to Doha 17 F, best 3 setter of the decade imo

That's my list and sticking to it. Only Fed match worth considering is RG 11 SF, this decade was Rafole decade with Murrinka mixed in
Have to add Davis Cup 2016 Murray vs. Nishikori and vs. Del Potro into the top 5

AO 12 F Nadal-Djoko
Davis Cup 16 SF Murray-Delpo
Davis Cup 16 RR Murray-Nishikori

RG 13 SF Nadal-Djoko
RG 17 SF Murray-Wawrinka
AO 13 R16 Stan-Djoker
RG 11 SF Fed-Djoker
AO 14 QF Stan-Djoker

Probably my top 10

·
Rankings Master
15,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
One match that I haven't seen mentioned here.
Murray vs Del Potro Davis Cup 2016 (I think). It was in the same year as their Olympic final. The Olympic final was played at a really good level, but their Davis Cup match made it pale in comparison.
It was mentioned in the nomination thread, but ultimately didn't receive too many of them to qualify here.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I had a very hard time choosing between AO 2013 R4 and AO 2017 F, but that final set in AO F and Wawa not challenging that ridiculous out ball on BP in AO 2013 R4 just tipped the scale and I went for AO 2017 F.

Surprised not to see AO 2014 QF here, that match was almost as good as the one the year before and also a ridiculously high quality match, yeah the MP was crap but that 5th set had all the drama in the world and some very high quality play.

·
Premium Member
7,022 Posts
I had a very hard time choosing between AO 2013 R4 and AO 2017 F, but that final set in AO F and Wawa not challenging that ridiculous out ball on BP in AO 2013 R4 just tipped the scale and I went for AO 2017 F.

Surprised not to see AO 2014 QF here, that match was almost as good as the one the year before and also a ridiculously high quality match, yeah the MP was crap but that 5th set had all the drama in the world and some very high quality play.
2014 AO Djokrinka was nowhere near as good as the 2013 one. The first sets were littered with errors.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think there are a lot of "overrated" matches in this list. Typically, for me the OA 2012 (Djokovic/Nadal), RG 2013 (Nadal/Djokovic) and the OA 2017 (Federer/Nadal). We can add this year's Wimbledon final as well.

The OA 2012 and RG 2013 are the same battle. In each of these two matches, the winner of the game should have won in 4. Miraculously, the other manages to push him into a 5th set, has the chance to win, but does not succeed. At RG 2013, Nadal clearly dominates Djokovic, just as Djokovic dominates Nadal at OA 2012. At OA 2017, Nadal is physically blunt and Federer plays well every other set.

I think we can remember: the OA 2013 (Djokovic/Wawrinka), Wimbledon 2013 (Djokovic/Del Potro), RG 2011 (Federer/Djokovic) or the Wimbledon 2007 and 2008 between Nadal and Federer.

Too many matches are considered "mythical" because we only remember the level of the last set and/or because we only remember the dramaturgy and not the tennis level during the whole match (The best example is the Wimbledon 2019 final where Djokovic is absent for 2 sets. We would almost forget him because the fifth set overshadowed him).

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Finished watching 17 AO finals again. Too many early breaks and one sided sets for me. Only one set even went to 6-4.

Their 09 final was much better quality wise.

As for 2019 Wimbledon F, also very high quality, but I put it the same level with Wimbledon 07. 3 all time sets, 2 sets were meh

If we are talking about consistently high level from both players for the entirety of the match, AO 12 F and Olympics 16 F are the only two that have it. All these other matches have some lull for a set or two
W´19 final 2 sets were meh because djokovic made a few more errors and fed punished him left and right. To be perfectly honest. Comparing their level of play fed should’ve won all 5 sets there. He had break points in the first and even a set point in the third while djokovic couldnt generate break point until deep in the fourth. This match will haunt him and his fans forever. solely lost on Weak nerves

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
2014 AO Djokrinka was nowhere near as good as the 2013 one. The first sets were littered with errors.
I remember the first set as Wawa starting very well, getting BPs but not converting, then Nole raising his level immensely and kinda deflating Wawa. I remember thinking "well this match is over". Then Wawa played much better in the 2nd.

Anyways I will agree on one thing, only one of them played well in each set till the 5th.

W´19 final 2 sets were meh because djokovic made a few more errors and fed punished him left and right. To be perfectly honest. Comparing their level of play fed should’ve won all 5 sets there. He had break points in the first and even a set point in the third while djokovic couldnt generate break point until deep in the fourth. This match will haunt him and his fans forever. solely lost on Weak nerves
This wound is still too open for me to discuss :(

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Tough one but I'll pick 2013 AO R4 match. Great effort by both players.

Surprised to see 2012 AO final lead the poll, but I would rate it number 1 if we only rate the drama factor.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts