Mens Tennis Forums banner

What is your pick for the Match of the 2010s Decade?

• [2010 WTF SF] - Nadal vs Murray

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [2019 RG R4] - Wawrinka vs Tsitsipas

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
46,468 Posts
So I have a list of matches to watch here:

Already watched

1. AO 12 F Nadal-Djokovic
2. AO 13 R16 Djoko-Wawrinka

Need to watch again:

3. WTF 10 SF Nadal-Murray
4. RG 11 SF Fed-Nole
5. USO 11 SF Fed-Nole
6. USO 11 F Rafa-Nole
7. RG 13 SF Rafa-Nole
8. Wimbledon 13 SF Nole-Del Potro
9. AO 14 QF Nole-Stan
10. Wimbledon 14 F Fed-Nole
11. AO 17 F Fed-Nadal
12. Wimbledon 18 SF Nadal-Djoko

Honorable mention

13. 2016 Olympics Final Del Potro vs. Murray, prob gonna watch that one again too

·
Premium Member
9,535 Posts
Djokovic vs Del Potro was the best match in recent years at Wimbledon for me. A matchup of contrasting styles. Aggressive shotmaker vs defensive pusher. So sad the result had to go in Djokovic's favour. Del Potro played the match of his life.
Yeah this is my second vote. This one is right behind Djokovic vs. Wawrinka

·
Registered
27,104 Posts
Where's big Hass vs tiny Isner RG 2013 you massive faults?

·
Registered
117 Posts
So I just rewatched Nadal-Djoker AO 12 F and Nole-Stan AO 13 R16

And, I'm sorry, but Nadal-Djoker AO 12 blows it out of the fucking water. Wawrinka had 6-1 3-1 before letting Djoko off the hook. Stan has too many defensive holes in his game to be able to compare to the relentless attack, defense, angles, and ferocity of the AO 12 war. There were more great shots and points in the first set of the AO 12 F than the entire AO 13 4th round. Come on people.

You've lost your mind, that 13 AO match was not even the best match of that year, the RG 13 SF was. Nadal-Verdasco AO 2009 SF goes down as one of the all time matches in terms of level of play. And we don't have to wait until 6-1 3-1 before we have a match. AO 12 and AO 09 were high level from the first shot.

By the way, Rome 2006 was the best match of the previous decade.

Don't know why everyone is overrating that 13 AO match. I found myself waiting for it to be over around 7-7 in the 5th. You cannot have a match of the decade that was not even the match of that year. Besides, their 14 AO match was better
Agassi vs Blake USO 05, was probably the best match of the last decade.

·
Your visions will happen
46,468 Posts
Some notes:

WTF 10 SF Nadal-Murray, excellent match but only best of 3 and only SF

RG 11 SF Fed-Nole, very high level of play, Roger was moving so well and striking that ball so cleanly, wow. Only 4 sets dampens it a bit for me and Djokovic level was not always consistent

RG 13 SF Rafa-Nole, similar to the AO 13 vs Stan, Djokovic fell asleep for a set and a bit and thus the match was not always played at peak level. Only 4 of the sets, like the Wawrinka match. Neither compares to AO 12 still for me

Olympics 16 F Murray-Del Potro, 2 guys both playing insane tennis at the same time for 4 sets, Delpo served for the 4th to send it to a 5th where it had chances to be the best match ever quite honestly, so I rate this one probably #2 after AO 12

Still have to rewatch:

1. USO 11 SF Fed-Nole
2. USO 11 F Rafa-Nole
3. Wimbledon 13 SF Nole-Del Potro
4. AO 14 QF Nole-Stan
5. Wimbledon 14 F Fed-Nole
6. AO 17 F Fed-Nadal
7. Wimbledon 18 SF Nadal-Djoko

Agassi vs Blake USO 05, was probably the best match of the last decade.
Yes that one is a good one. Last decade is another can of worms and the Youtube highlights get a little bit grainier, but a quick list from the top of my head with no wikipedia consultation:

2000 AO SF Agassi vs Sampras, very high level especially 4th set TB

2001 Wimbledon R16 Sampras vs Federer, changed the guard

2001 Wimbledon F Ivanisevic vs Rafter, match that personally began my own love affair with the game

2002 TMC F Ferrero-Hewitt, just ridiculous tennis

2003 USO SF Roddick vs. Nalbandian, Nalbandian arguably robbed but for me Roddick save the MP fair and square

2004 Wimbledon F Federer vs Roddick, best chance Roddick ever had for Wimbledon imo

2004 USO QF Federer vs Agassi, first 2 sets played at night, rained out, next day played in hurricane

2005 AO SF Federer vs Safin- probably the one many would choose

2005 USO QF Agassi vs Blake- as you said, very good match

2006 Rome F Federer vs. Nadal- Greatest Clay Court Match of all time and set the tone for their rivalry for a decade

2007 Wimbledon F Federer vs. Nadal- First 3 sets stand up just as impressive if not more so than their 08 brother

2008 Wimbledon F Federer vs. Nadal- GOAT match, some say over rated, I say it is rated as it should be, best match ever or at the least, among the very best. Look no further than the first point of the match

2008 Olympics SF Nadal vs. Djokovic- Very very emotional match for both guys, was a great standard of play as well even though as we know only 3 sets

2009 AO SF Nadal vs. Verdasco- Pretty sure both guys combined for like 180+ winners between them, was incredible this one

2009 AO F Nadal vs Federer- Not as good perhaps as the SF but still epic

2009 RG R16 Soderling vs Nadal- The Atomic Bomb

2009 RG SF Federer vs Del Potro- Nothing was going to stop Roger winning RG this year, his only real chance his whole career

2009 Wimbledon F Federer vs. Roddick- Poor Andy, goodness gracious, but what a sportsman

2009 USO F Delpo vs Federer, Delpo FH howitzer is born

Top 19 matches of 2000-2009 for me, 6 happening in 2009. I'm sure I could dig for more but I just went year by year off the dome

·
Registered
163 Posts
I cant decide which one was the best, some had more drama or importance while others had higher quality overall. I still think quality wise us open 2011 final had the best quality (the third set was insane)but nadal at some patches, especially the 4th set was underwhelming and the conditions were really slow, it felt like a clay court match. Their AO 2012 final had more drama and nadal played better overall. The 2013 FO was amazing as well, I would rate it on the same level as their 2012 AO level wise.
Drama wise, the wimbledon final this year wins. The novak-stan meeting in AO 2013 is their best one I think, and the final set was just to good.
Nadal vs federer 2017 was astounding as well, but nadals defence clearly declined by this point. Federer vs djokovic fo 2011 meeting probably had the highest quality in their meetings this decade although everything considered their 2014 wimbledon final and UO 11 semi were just as good(maybe not level wise). Nadalovic wimbledon 2018 was on an incredibly high level too.

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
The AO 2017 final is at the top in terms of hype and history but the actual quality wasn't very good. Nadal was not at the level of the Dimitrov match and managed a couple of sets mostly thanks to Fed going walkabout and making a million errors, once Fed tightened up his game in the middle of the 5th it was a formality. The quality of their recent Wimbledon match was probably higher in fact.

Groove is right that AO 13 takes too long to get going, but once it does it was a barn-burner. Bonus points for me being able to enjoy it without my fav involved.

I think the real answer is AO 12 final though. Titanic battle with both at their peak. Also why is something like RG 11 there but not USO 2019 final?

Looks like I pressed the wrong poll option...

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
2008 Wimbledon F Federer vs. Nadal- GOAT match, some say over rated, I say it is rated as it should be, best match ever or at the least, among the very best. Look no further than the first point of the match
It was over rated, Federror was dumping forehands into the bottom of the net with alarming consistency. He lost 15 matches that year, compared to 5 in 2006; clearly the mono had taken its toll.

·
Rankings Master
15,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The AO 2013 Wawrinka-Djokovic epic and the AO 2017 Federer-Nadal showdown are now neck and neck at 18 votes. Thanks for the 2000s suggestions, those are really great matches too. Perhaps we can do a 2000s thread as well, that is if there wasn't one on MTF 10 years ago already.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a Nadal fan and I picked the 2012AO final as heartbreaking as it was that he lost it. I watched it with my brother and never had before or since seen such incredible shotmaking and physicality from both players over such a long stretch of time as that epic match.

·
Your visions will happen
46,468 Posts
The AO 2013 Wawrinka-Djokovic epic and the AO 2017 Federer-Nadal showdown are now neck and neck at 18 votes. Thanks for the 2000s suggestions, those are really great matches too. Perhaps we can do a 2000s thread as well, that is if there wasn't one on MTF 10 years ago already.
Fedtards overrating AO 17 NID

Also, that 2000's match list was off the top of my head, I'm sure we could dig and find some more gems, probably a top 30

It was over rated, Federror was dumping forehands into the bottom of the net with alarming consistency. He lost 15 matches that year, compared to 5 in 2006; clearly the mono had taken its toll.
Oh please. It was an all time epic match that shifted epochs in the game. Just cause your guy lost doesn't mean it was overrated

I still have AO 12 as the GOAT match this decade despite my fave losing

Last decade probably gotta go with 01 Wimbledon F, 06 Rome F or 05 AO SF

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Federer - Nadal AO 2017. The drama, the fact they were coming from injuries and made the final, Federer winning a slam again after ages, coming back from a break in the fifth, beating Nadal again, etc.

Djokovic - Nadal in Wimbledon was epic as well and both Djokovic - Wawrinka AO games.

Nalbandian - Hewitt 2011 AO was insane too and should be in the poll at least.

·
Your visions will happen
46,468 Posts
Federer - Nadal AO 2017. The drama, the fact they were coming from injuries and made the final, Federer winning a slam again after ages, coming back from a break in the fifth, beating Nadal again, etc.

Djokovic - Nadal in Wimbledon was epic as well and both Djokovic - Wawrinka AO games.

Yes, I remember Nalbandian and Hewitt had a crazy AO 5 setter, several iirc, maybe another one in 08 or 10? Gotta check now

Edit: it was was actually back in 2005, QF

Shame the 2011 one was like 1st or 2nd round

·
The special one
13,500 Posts
Yes, I remember Nalbandian and Hewitt had a crazy AO 5 setter, several iirc, maybe another one in 08 or 10? Gotta check now

Edit: it was was actually back in 2005, QF

Shame the 2011 one was like 1st or 2nd round
Yeah good shout guys, i actually forgot about the Hewitt/Nalbandian match myself. What made it even better was these two really hated each other off court as well.

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
For best non-5 set match of the decade I'd like to put forward Berdych-Nadal A012 QF. Just rewatched highlights and it was absolutely insane stuff by both. Berdych probably would have beaten anyone else that day.

·
Your visions will happen
46,468 Posts
Forgot about Doha 2017 F Murray vs Djokovic. Probably the best best of 3 match of the decade, that and their Shanghai encounter in 2013 or was it 2012

For best non-5 set match of the decade I'd like to put forward Berdych-Nadal A012 QF. Just rewatched highlights and it was absolutely insane stuff by both. Berdych probably would have beaten anyone else that day.
That one was pretty good too

·
Your visions will happen
46,468 Posts
Just finished watching USO 11 SF Fed-Djokovic, and got curious and watched their 2010 match there too

Both times 3 of the 5 sets were high quality. Roger pretty much conserved energy in 2 of the sets in each match. Of course we all know what happened. The Shot. But no one talks about the same Shot Nole hit at 0-1 Roger serving 40-40 in the 3rd. Roger was broken in that game and the comeback was on

Still have 6-7 more matches to watch

·
Your visions will happen
46,468 Posts
3-4, 30-40 in 3rd set of USO 11 F probably one of the best points of all time. And another one at 6-5 15-15.

Too bad Rafa was climbing uphill the entire time, you never really felt he was really in there, such was the impossible level of Djokovic in that match.

Was AO 12 lite is what it was. Crazy battle, both guys injured at the end in that 4th set. Match went 4h9m, including only 4 sets and 2 were 6-1 and 6-2, tells just how tough the points were regardless of score.

Still have AO 12 and Olympics 16 finals as my top 2 this decade, followed by USO 11, RG 11, RG 13, AO 13, all behind

21 - 40 of 68 Posts