Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scotland Yard has ended their investigation and their report about match-fixing in tennis will be revealed just before or during the French Open. Finally no more insinuations, but plain facts :)

Here's the article from The Guardian

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/tennis/story/0,,2265015,00.html#article_continue

Belgian journalist and former player Filip Dewulf commented on this article in his weblog. Quite shocking to read the ATP is trying to put pressure on Gilles Elseneer (who revealed he had been offered €100.000 to fix a match, which he didn't) in order to shut up about it...

Some excerpts (free translation):

"A spontaneous 'Hooray' past my mind this morning when I read the results of the Scotland Yard detectives about gambling are being put in a report at this moment and will be revealed during Roland Garros. Finally we will know wich matches were fixed, which players are involved. Those two detectives have travelled around the world since the beginning of this year and interrogated a number of players. You would think something should come out after such an investigaton"

"I have my doubts. I had Gilles Elseneer on the phone. In september he revealed, through me, that he was offered €100.000 to lose his first round match at Wimbledon 2005 against Potito Starace. What he obviously - knowing Gilles Elseneer pretty well - didn't respond to. After his allegations he also was interrogated by the detectives. Even more, together with a camera crew he went to talk with big ATP chief Etienne De Villiers to talk about the problem. This meeting will be broadcasted - just before Roland Garros? - at a French television station. (as soon as I know more I'll tell you about it)

In the months after this meeting Elseneer was confronted with five unexpected drug tests. Gilles doesn't want to link these facts, but it's quite bizarre that a player who played only four tournaments previous season and dropped to ATP 300 and lower got so many drug test controls, while a player like Christophe Rochus (ATP100-200) didn't have to do any test at all. It looks like - again my own impression! - that the ATP was putting Gilles under pressure to get rid of the whole thing. In which they succeeded, because Gilles told me some shocking things off the record, which sadly enough aren't for publication... Maybe in may in that report?"

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So Dewulf is making this all up just to get a little bit of attention?? No seriously, Dewulf knows Elseneer pretty good, so I believe it's true what he's writing. And I also follow his logic linking the meeting with De Villier with the number of doping tests Elseneer had to do after the meeting... I'm very curious to see the images of the meeting between Elseneer & De Villiers. And what's in the report of course ;)

sidenote: semi-final in Roland Garros, 2 ATP tournament victories... many players would sign for these achievements :devil:

·
May All Beings Be Happy!!
12,245 Posts
I am not shocked at De Wulf's revelations', I am sure The ATP is corrupt to the core. It doesn't look after the players it only looks after it self. This was evidenced by last years fiasco in Las Vegas with Blake.
As for De Wulf, I have watched him play and he was very good. I often thought what happened to him. Why did he quit pro tennis?

·
Registered
13,295 Posts
So they need a couple of detectives to travel around the world for a few months in order to say which matches are fixed?

A big fat lol

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
No real news there.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Whole lot of nothing to revealed.

·
Registered
217 Posts