Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Federer won on Madrid hc, Shanghai replaced Madrid. Madrid was moved to Hamburg's spot. Federer had won Hamburg. So I believe it is only Rome and Monte-Carlo that he needs to complete a set.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
29,033 Posts
Technically speaking.. Federer is yet to win only the 3rd Masters1000 of the season to complete the set

in 2012, Madrid was placed in the 4th spot and Rome in the 5th... so since he won it (on blue clay), Federer might complete it

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Federer won on Madrid hc, Shanghai replaced Madrid. Madrid was moved to Hamburg's spot. Federer had won Hamburg. So I believe it is only Rome and Monte-Carlo that he needs to complete a set.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Nice logic. I have heard the same logic applied to Rafa that because Rafa had won Madrid back when it was played on hard surface, he does not need to win Shanghai now after Madrid was moved to clay.

But, no, the old man must win Monte Carlo, Shanghai, and Rome; Nadal must win Miami, Shaghai, Paris; and Djokovic Cincinnati to complete what one can call "Career Masters".

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Monte Carlo and Rome. Federer has Madrid HC and so does Nadal, which was replaced by Shanghai.

·
Registered
12,632 Posts
Nice logic. I have heard the same logic applied to Rafa that because Rafa had won Madrid back when it was played on hard surface, he does not need to win Shanghai now after Madrid was moved to clay.

But, no, the old man must win Monte Carlo, Shanghai, and Rome; Nadal must win Miami, Shaghai, Paris; and Djokovic Cincinnati to complete what one can call "Career Masters".
Seems you're the only one who agrees with your faulty "logic"

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts

So you're saying Djokovic needs to win both Cincinnatti and Madrid indoors to complete? And perhaps Hamburg as well? Looks like no chance, then. Too bad for him.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
monte carlo, rome , an shanghai

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
So you're saying Djokovic needs to win both Cincinnatti and Madrid indoors to complete? And perhaps Hamburg as well? Looks like no chance, then. Too bad for him.
And there goes that logic of Jolyon.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Fed can win Monte Carlo while Nadal is holding Cincinnati.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Not just Nole, it's too bad for Rafa too as they both can never win Madrid on blue clay to complete the master's set. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
I think Nadal also needs the World Tour Finals to complete the "official" masters set, but I could be wrong about that. Need to check with ATP about that.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
That's exactly it. Nadal won the October MS1000 event back in 2005 and just because ATP changed where the October MS1000 event is played since that time doesn't change the fact that Nadal has won the October MS1000 tournament at least once. The similar reasoning applies to Federer or any other player - MS1000 aren't unmovable tentpoles like the 4 majors are, therefore winning all 9 is counted differently.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
That's exactly it. Nadal won the October MS1000 event back in 2005 and just because ATP changed where the October MS1000 event is played since that time doesn't change the fact that Nadal has won the October MS1000 tournament at least once. The similar reasoning applies to Federer or any other player - MS1000 aren't unmovable tentpoles like the 4 majors are, therefore winning all 9 is counted differently.
2005 Madrid was played under roof. Is Shanghai being played under roof, maybe an invisible roof? :rolleyes:

Are you saying that all homeless in this world are living in their homes since an invisible roof is hanging over their heads unknowingly to them? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 119 Posts