Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Commentators of any kind should always keep quiet during the points. That's one thing I've noticed from seeing clips of matches that were on US TV, they tend to keep on chattering during long and exciting rallies.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mary has some good things to offer, especially in the gossip department. But she's clueless that her job as a commentator is to help build the tension of a point, a game, a set a match. She needs help. She should watch old matches called by Pat Sommerall. She should hire Billie Jean King. If players can continue to improve their professions (game) Mary can as well.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
The three point plan for commentators everywhere:

1. No talking during points.
2. No mentioning the score after every single point (this also tends to happen on US TV, although if the score was kept on screen in the corner the whole time then this wouldn't be an issue)
3. No more lazy cliches. OK, so that's an impossible dream.

Reactions: tinuviel_estel

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,738 Posts
Mary is a good commentator, and used to be better. I can't fathom why she rattles on and on and on and most of the time not even about what is happening on the court.

She's like my nightmare person in a seat next to me. One who just talks and talks and talks and not even about the tennis.

I put it on mute.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sjengster said:
The three point plan for commentators everywhere:

1. No talking during points.
2. No mentioning the score after every single point (this also tends to happen on US TV, although if the score was kept on screen in the corner the whole time then this wouldn't be an issue)
3. No more lazy cliches. OK, so that's an impossible dream.

LOL. Hey Sjengster. Where the heck is Sjeng Schalken? Love to see him play.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
LOL. Hey Sjengster. Where the heck is Sjeng Schalken? Love to see him play.
Outside the Top 200, and probably returning to the Challenger circuit sometime soon. I think 2003 was his last gasp as a Top 20 player, sadly.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
star said:
Mary is a good commentator, and used to be better. I can't fathom why she rattles on and on and on and most of the time not even about what is happening on the court.

She's like my nightmare person in a seat next to me. One who just talks and talks and talks and not even about the tennis.

I put it on mute.

Exactly how I felt, I too put it on mute. It's like watching a good movie and during each exciting scene there's a chatter box. I find myself yelling shut-up to the TV, that's when I put it on mute! :(

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,738 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: It's best to take corrective action when you find yourself yelling at the TV.

Of course, I was talking to Andy quite a bit, but that's not the same thing, is it? :angel:

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Today Mary was a Godsend
Who was that other ass commentating? She gave a bit of balance to his midwestern corn-fed rahrah US patriotism

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seles3 said:
puhlease....she has the best things to say. NEXT!
Mary has great things to say. She should just SHUT UP when the points start. Or, are we tuning in for a 2 hour Mary Carillo monologue?

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
wcr said:
Mary has great things to say. She should just SHUT UP when the points start. Or, are we tuning in for a 2 hour Mary Carillo monologue?
Yes, that's all we're asking for, not for her to stop talking, just shut-up during points! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
I think Carillo is burnt out on tennis, and she talks non-stop to keep herself amused. She didn't do this in the early 90s.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts