Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Eurosport commentator just said he is "Pushing like a bully in a school playground" lmao.
Anyways, i'm really impressed with him, especielly the serve, he already fired like 30 aces in the match (the final against Yevgeny) :eek:

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
So, Verkerk becomes the third title debutante this year after Davydenko and Lee... this can only be good for the depth in men's tennis.

It may be silly at times, but I quite like the way he visibly urges himself on during points even if it does result in a few odd faces pulled - and it certainly worked, considering he beat Enqvist, one of the best ever indoor players, the defending champion Sanguinetti, a fellow big server in Ljubicic and Kafelnikov, a former winner here with 26 titles to his name.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

Sunday February 2, 07:46 PM
Martin Verkerk of the Netherlands reacts after beating Yevgeny Kafelnikov of Russia to win the Milan Indoors ATP tennis tournament, in Milan, Italy, Sunday, Feb.2, 2003. Ververk won, 6-4, 5-7, 7-5. (AP Photo/Luca Bruno)

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
His backhand is pretty good, and he has a good net game as well. Not a definite weapon besides his serve as of yet. BUT, Ive seen him three times now (Auckland round 1 vs Guga, semifinal and final Milan) and his game is definitely going forwards. He is getting better and better, on vertiginous spead.
Congrats!

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
not spead, speed. :eek: ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Am i right in tabulating that Martin is now around the 45-50 range in the rankings??He just needs another good run in Rotterdam or Copenhagen and he can then have a crack in the TMS events. I like this guy; he provided two above-average first rounds in the USO vs Roddick and AO vs Phillipoussis. Holland might need him what with Kraijcek being so fragile and Schalken ultimately a choker in the big matches,

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I heard that he would be 60ish? (I suppose that I could check the rankings right now - but eh - too far;)).

IN which case he really only needs one more big result and he'll get in to the main draw of all the masters evets - he'll already get into Miami, assuming that they don't use the entry ranks from months before like some tournaments seem to ..

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
Verkerk has been going up the rankings lately since he has been practicing harder. It seems that tennis wasn't always his priority, but with a new coach and more practice it's starting to pay off. Good for him. His serve really helped him trough this tournament.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts