Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Felix evolving in front of our very eyes in the first set. So many similarities to his final against Monfils in the first set...forehand errors after errors and not serving well. He then started constructing the points and won 5 games in a row to take the set. Second set was anti-climatic...I believe neither player had a BP? Anyway, Felix raised his level in the TB and won it very comfortably. Looking forward to tomorrow's final!

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
AA was too much for old Simon

·
Registered
814 Posts
Too bad Simon couldn't close out that first set. Probably wouldn't have changed the outcome but still. Well done FAA, he's gonna spank poor Stef once again tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
Well done, Felix. Beating a non clown Frenchman on a French indoor court is bigger than beating Rogie at Wimbledon. :p
Seriously, though, I had my doubts based on his opponent as well as on what I saw from him in the past few rounds. Glad he proved me wrong. He steadied the ship after a shaky start and never looked back.
Simon kinda squandered the business end of both sets, but once FAA found his FH range, there was really not much Gillou could hurt him with.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I've arrived at the conclusion that Felix is a much better player than Denis. He's certainly more mentally tough, calmer and more centered. Where Denis is flashy, Felix is measured and in control. I also think he'll likely have the better career unless Denis fixes these issues. Well done for Felix and he really gives Canadian tennis a huge boost. Allez!

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Always difficult to follow Tennis matches when football is in full flow on Saturday Afternoons so didn't see much of second set as my team was playing.

Did see a chunk of first set and Simon tactics were working well. Then he choked at 5-3 and FAA gained the momentum. Was that awful miss from Felix drop shot at 5-3 or 5-5?

Good win for Felix. Should be a good final v Stefanos.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I've arrived at the conclusion that Felix is a much better player than Denis. He's certainly more mentally tough, calmer and more centered. Where Denis is flashy, Felix is measured and in control. I also think he'll likely have the better career unless Denis fixes these issues. Well done for Felix and he really gives Canadian tennis a huge boost. Allez!
Felix actually gave a Shap esque performance for most of that first set from what I saw. Not great on return and lots of UEs once the exchanges went above 10 shots.

Ultimately got things together right at the end which young players need to learn against vastly experienced and tactically smart players like Giles Simon.

·
Registered
13,794 Posts
He was aided by a pretty significant choke from Simon at the end of the first set but that may have been Felix's best match since last summer. Good sign.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
The stars aligned as I hoped they would for the final ?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Expected no??????????????? Simon can't beat 2 or 3 younsters in row (esp. now). Simon is veteran + very old for such wars. He still can beat ONE of them (like Ferrer was).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts