Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simon really shouldn't have been broken 3 times in the 2nd set but at least he won:D

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
The 2nd set was a complete mental lapse by Gilles, but I think he might be mentally tired this is his 3rd week in a row playing and 8th match plus a doubles. Still he has a couple of weeks off after this so he can rest and recoup ready for IW/Miami.

Also this was his 8th MD win this season, it took him until mid May last year in Nice to do the same. Nothing to defend at IW or Miami.

Coric tries hard and wants it bad, but he needs to improve the FH, Gilles got wise of that and played to that side a lot more in the final set.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Unfortunate for Borna. I was expecting it to be over by the end of the 1st set but he managed to win the 2nd. Against a player like Simon it was always going to be tough to out play him from the baseline. Coric has no weapons to hurt Simon. That forehand :facepalm:. I'm being too harsh. Borna did play some good tennis and works the point very well. Physically he is very developed for someone of 18. That puts an end to 'the reason why there has been no teens coming through the rankings due to the physicality of the game debate'.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Coric has long way to go..That FH is just a puff variety at this point..He's still very young and it good that he's fighting deep through matches vs. established guys, winning some and losing some others.Better than drifting in wilderness of challengers..Obviously the win against in October was more function of Rafa's supreme crappiness than Borna's state of development..The Clay season will allow for better understating on that front..

·
Registered
285 Posts
Good experience for the young croatian.
top 50 by the end of year is definitely possible.
He'll improve, get used to the atp matchs, get more power in his shots, i think he'll toy with the likes of Simon within 2 years...

·
Registered
976 Posts
toy is exagerated, but yes he'll routine the likes of simon...definitely
Coric will have a career Simon can only dream for...
Lol, He may eventually end up having a better career than him but Gilles doesnt get consistently routined by anyone

·
Bring it Home
21,337 Posts
Coris is really solid for his age, but he also has a huge trouble with hitting with power.

I'm not sure if this will ever change much, since he's not a big or massive player, who will gain a lot of power until his full development.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
With Tsonga out he is certain to be in the Davis Cup squad and must have a decent chance of playing.
Still that is 2 weeks away if he makes say SF here.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts