Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time I saw Mayot and I can say I am impressed. Yes - he lost, but it's not easy to play such an experienced veteran in your first match on tour level (I guess, haven't checked). Simon was dragging Mayot in that cat and mouse pushy 30-stroke rallies like he is used to and young Harold was going toe-to-toe with him and he was the one who was more dictating. He seems like a very self confident young fella, but without being fucked up like Fokina or Wild or Moutet. If not a bad tiebreak from him - who know how would it end.

I was trying to compare him to some older French guy and the first one that came to mind was Pouille. Top100 future no doubt, Top50 most probably, the rest is the riddle and depends on many factors.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
First time I saw Mayot and I can say I am impressed. Yes - he lost, but it's not easy to play such an experienced veteran in your first match on tour level (I guess, haven't checked). Simon was dragging Mayot in that cat and mouse pushy 30-stroke rallies like he is used to and young Harold was going toe-to-toe with him and he was the one who was more dictating. He seems like a very self confident young fella, but without being fucked up like Fokina or Wild or Moutet. If not a bad tiebreak from him - who know how would it end.

I was trying to compare him to some older French guy and the first one that came to mind was Pouille. Top100 future no doubt, Top50 most probably, the rest is the riddle and depends on many factors.
It was for me also the first time I saw him, I did not see the whole match but I was impressed by what I saw, the guy has already a very nice backhand, can mix up with good slices (it is not often that you can see such a young guy slicing so well), has a decent volley, and good forehand. Of course Simon was a tough task but I really liked what I saw, he is probably the best hope for France in years (probably since the Tsonga, Monfils and Gasquet generation).
Still, I don't like your comparison with Pouille as even if I have nothing against Lucas, he is boring as hell and Harold has a very enjoyable game to watch, I hope to see more from him in a near future.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still, I don't like your comparison with Pouille as even if I have nothing against Lucas, he is boring as hell and Harold has a very enjoyable game to watch, I hope to see more from him in a near future.
Yeah, I was just trying to find similar Frenchman and was thinking....Monfils, Simon, Tsonga, Mannarino, Humbert ?? And noone was even close, so Pouille came to my mind just as the most similar Frenchman, just to explain to someone who hasn't seen Mayot yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts