Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much what you can expect from this match-up, a low quality titanic chess battle. Monfils should have won all three sets, but since this is a final he managed to find a way to lose two of them. 5-17 in finals now :worship:

Also, who is the TennisTV commentator who called Monfils an intelligent player somewhere at the end of the match? We need to start a petition to get him fired.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
Simon :woohoo:
:inlove:

Finally. First title in over a year :D

·
Registered
756 Posts
Lol... I'm legit done. Another loss for Monfils in a match he should have won, I expect so much from him and he never delivers, I can't take it anymore, he will never live up to his potential and that's something I just have to accept. It's as clear as day to see, the problem with Monfils is his shot selection... He doesn't know when to defend or attack, he doesn't know when to just get the ball in play instead of blasting a winner. His shot selection cost him the match.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
I really wanted Gael to win that. :(

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Simon absolutely deserved to win. So pleased for him, he was generally the player controlling the point although of course Gael had a lot of winners from the defensive etc.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Damnit. Monfils really needs more titles.

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
Actually Monfils strategy wasn't too bad. Especially if we consider that his groundstrokes are very bad ATM.
Drop shots were nice little addition and Gilles certainly hates drop shots ( see his matches vs JJ)
I think Gael needed this more, but congrats to Gilles :)

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
very happy to see gilles get a title again. didnt play that well this week but did enough to get it done.

gaels record in finals is truly pathetic. 5-17....wow.surely he has to have one of the very worst records in finals in history

·
Registered
62,565 Posts
Pretty sure this match violated some part of the Geneva convention

Incredible pushing, especially by Monfils, whose best tactic was hit with 0 pace and try to draw Simon to net (Simon was like 10/30 at net), and his tactic otherwise was to hit with 0 pace and just see what happened.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
so funny tactic, find a coach

worst pushfest ever

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
La Monf looked promising IMO, especially on the beginning. But this guy definitely have to use much more power in his game, especially when you have Simon on the other side. :help: In some situation winner was demand, but no, he prefers to push. :facepalm:

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
It's good that Gael isn't playing Dubai and DC.
De Witt will help him with strategy.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I actually think Gael's tactics weren't bad in this match, incorporating the drop shot and bringing Gilles to net was a great strategy. Gilles' game just matches up so well with Gael because he can't blow Gilles off the court and Gilles will stay out there all day in those grueling rallies.

So happy for Gilles, he's had such a great last 6 months after the terrible first half of last year.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Gilles is so clutch and the ultimate match player. His most aggressive shot was the FH bomb DTL to get the tie break back level, so smart to pick his moments when to add in the pace. He really only had 2 sets of energy in him and the 2nd he let slide knowing it. So happy for him, what a professional.

Monfils, well what can you say, he served so well that final set but my god some of his shot selection defies belief sometimes!

Title #12 must feel so sweet for Gilles as this time last year his career was looking like it might be on the slide.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Hopefully Clownfils manages o get 20 finals lost.

Congratulations to SImon, he was CLEARLY the lesser of two evils here

12 titles, the first since 2013. He does not have a lot to defend this year. I can see him in the current position of Feliciano López if he manages to get fine results in GS

Tennis is saved

1 - 20 of 49 Posts