Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since 2009 tennis hasn't changed. It's gotten so boring that there are no longer any exciting match ups.

Why?

- Because top 10 players play each other about 20 times a year
- Players below 15 flatout suck
- Zero players have broken through on a consistent basis

Back in 2009

- Matches between the top 10 hadn't been done to death. The top 10 aside from a few legends was exiting and young. Most had only been around for about 2 years max (Tsonga,Del Potro, Simon) unlike Nishikori who prior to his top 10 breakthrough last year had been around since 2008.

- Upsets. Players below 20 were capable of playing exiting tennis and beating players above them. Examples in 2009 include Cilic,Verdasco,Monfils,Baghdatis etc. Currently everyone below 20 is dire meaning zero upsets, meaning seeds play each other over and over again. I mean a declined Cuevas is in the top 30?? Cuevas back in 09 was barely top 60.

Typing anymore is going to give me a headache

Reason i made this thread is because the headline on ATP TOUR was 'Murray sets up blockbuster clash with Berdych'. This isn't a blockbuster match for me even though it should be (top 10 match up). I see them play each other every 2 weeks and it's almost always the same..

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Reason i made this thread is because the headline on ATP TOUR was 'Murray sets up blockbuster clash with Berdych'. This isn't a blockbuster match for me even though it should be (top 10 match up). I see them play each other every 2 weeks and it's almost always the same..
Not strictly true. Second meeting this year, didn't play each other a single time last year. Not quite every 2 weeks.

·
29,283 Posts
Isner (22nd) just beat Raonic (6th) and Nishikori (5th).

You can cherry pick stats all day about lower ranked players not winning, but they still are at the same rate.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not strictly true. Second meeting this year, didn't play each other a single time last year. Not quite every 2 weeks.
Does Murray vs Berdych excite you?

Better yet...

Does it excite you like it did in 2011?

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Eh, there are some exciting lower-ranked players. The Aussies immediately come to mind - Kyrgios, Tomic, and Kokkinakis are possibilities for upsets when they play. Monfils is always good for some excitement, and Tsonga could at any moment start playing like Toronto last year and beat 3 of the big 4 in one tournament. Meanwhile, you NEVER know what Fognini is going to do. And Dolgopolov (when he's playing well) could cause upsets as well.

I could go on...

For me, most of the exciting matches at Slams are between lower-ranked players anyway. I do agree that it can get old seeing Berdych vs Anderson for the 18th time. So watch Smyczek vs Sock then (to pick a random example).

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Does Murray vs Berdych excite you?

Better yet...

Does it excite you like it did in 2011?
Murray doesn't excite anybody mate.. Use another example

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Murray doesn't excite anybody mate.. Use another example
Djokovic vs Berdych then

or vs anyone in the top 10

Delpotro vs Nadal, Murray or Djokovic is the only match up between big name players that raises an eyebrow. That's only because Del Potro has been injured for most of the last 5 years. Even then he managed to play Federer almost 50 times

In 2008,2009 top 10 players like Simon,Tsonga,Delpotro, Soderling vs Big Four was exciting because matches were rare. It hadn't been overdone. The tour was more than 10 players. Experienced top 20 players like Gasquet,Roddick,Gonzo,Davydenko,Nalbandian,Berdych,Blake etc (look at that depth!), unseeded vets who could explode - hewitt,baghdatis,Haas, Ferrero, Kohlscreiber, Ancic, Robredo (who had just been top 5 a year ago), then your young guns like Nishikori,Cilic,Monfils,Almagro, Gulbis,Isner

The reason i bring up all those names is because they are why we didn't get sick of matchups in that era. Heck even the big 4 match ups were exciting because that group had only lasted a year if that. It was exciting, they had all too play for. Now 5 years later they are still going at it, except they've played 50 million times and already won everything. No longer exciting, need new faces!!

There is no depth today and that's why tennis has become boring :)

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Isner (22nd) just beat Raonic (6th) and Nishikori (5th).

You can cherry pick stats all day about lower ranked players not winning, but they still are at the same rate.
you're cherry picking yourself though. Isner is the exception in this tournament, not the norm. even he is a terrible example as this is the first tournament of any significance in like a season or 2 that he's stepped up and been beating higher seeds

very uncommon in the last couple of seasons for lower ranked seeds to regularly upset higher ones. that naturally is the case in a weak era with limited depth. Although frankly this has been the case since maybe 2010

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone excited for Djokovic vs Murray?

I'm not, they seem to have played in every tournament since Murray returned from injury...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts