Mens Tennis Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and stand a serious/genuine shot/chance at making a career defining, first, Roland Garros semi final.

There is no way I see anything else other than a straight-forward, fluent and comprehensive win for Nando tomorrow.

Who else is with me? I cannot see why anyone cannot see this potential BEAT-DOWN coming?

Yes, on a claycourt, Andy really is living on the edge and the only reason he survives against players on it is for his tennis IQ/smarts, character and will/desire to win.

We all know Andy's second serve is an absolute shocker and with the low percentage of first serves he's been making all this tournament, particularly yesterday and today against Kohlschreiber, you really can't see how he's going to be finding it at all easy to continually hold serve? It's already easy enough as it is on clay for players that can generate power to get ontop of balls as the surface eats up pace (Slowing it down) but with Murray's second serve, it's going to be even easier for Nando, we'll see it head straight into Verdasco's forehand strike-zone?

Ontop of this Murray struggles with generating pace on the forehand wing on clay, his topspin forehand has looked extremely off, particularly against Kohlschreiber and he's coming in against a guy that's high off momentum from the 2 set comeback against Cuevas... I'm sure he'll also be bouyed from the Gasquet beat-down he served up too.

Really sensing this will prove to be one of those matches where a lot of people will be in shock and think what a crappy anti-climax, anyway, when/if it happens he has Monfils in the following round, who has fitness issues and a passive game Verdasco could deal with if he kept his mind focused, which leaves for the potential of a mouth watering semi-final against Nadal. (Who isn't at his best on the red-dirt yet)

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
I agree :shrug: The OP is no troll. Well maybe not really crush, but definetly my money is on Verdasco tomorrow

·
Registered
57,608 Posts
I think Verdasco wins-it's a bad match up for Murray, it's clay, he's out of form- but I dunno about crush. Verdasco is always inconsistent and prone to mental lapses. I think Murray probably gets a set or at least a 7-5 or 7-6 set

·
Delicious
3,558 Posts
I hope Andy Murray defeats Nadal in the semifinals.

·
Registered
15,736 Posts
maybe not crush but yeah, only Trolldasco can save Clayray here unless Andy serves at 75%

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is a thread dedicated to this match already.

Ram your attention seeking shite in there, doll :yeah:
I figured since it always deserves a thread for the everytime Nadal publically states the ATP should make the nets taller or increase the time between points to 40 seconds or reduce the number of hardcourt tournaments etc... rather than put those all in their own threads... that this vivid vision I have of a Murray beatdown also deserves it's own too.

:)

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
I've got Verdasco too, but not sure about "crush."

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I figured since it always deserves a thread for the everytime Nadal publically states the ATP should make the nets taller or increase the time between points to 40 seconds or reduce the number of hardcourt tournaments etc... rather than put those all in their own threads... that this vivid vision I have of a Murray beatdown also deserves it's own too.

:)
The majority of posters think Verdasco will win.

I want a scoreline.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think Verdasco wins-it's a bad match up for Murray, it's clay, he's out of form- but I dunno about crush. Verdasco is always inconsistent and prone to mental lapses. I think Murray probably gets a set or at least a 7-5 or 7-6 set
Yeah, he certainly wins the matchup on clay. It's equal on grass, but clay is def for Nando, greater net-clearance and a margin for error on his rally ball, which will serve him much better in "neutral" rallies.

Having said that I think the matchup will hinge predominantly on the fact and factor that Murray's second serve will be a lot more attackable than Nando's, who has that left outswing and inswing which Murray won't be able to get on-top off, if he can keep it to Andy's forehand.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The majority of posters think Verdasco will win.

I want a scoreline.
I would not be suprised at 3 sets to love, honestly, I think Murray's got an inherent strength all the current era of grandslam champions have and for that reason alone, I would have to say 3 sets to 1, but I don't see the sets Nando wins as last anymore than 30 minutes.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Verdasco won't crush him but I do agree he'll win, Murray is not the same man post Wimbledon win/post surgery/post Lendl.
Nothing to do with this, Murray's always been a liability on clay, it's nothing to do with the back injury anymore or Llendl, he's fully over all that, well possibly not entirely Llendl, but it's certainly not as much of a hindrance as you may think.

The issue is Murray, particularly on his forehand side struggles to hit topspin, I've noticed it, his forehand topspin rally ball, when deep and not inside the baseline, is poor and he's struggling to generate the pace off it. On other surfaces he can atleast absorb some power but on clay, it's a different kettle of shit. Nando will need to ensure he goes inside out and not go into the Murray backhand too much with his lefty forehand. Also the serve, 2nd, it's just meat and drink for Verdasco, Verdasco is a headcase, I know but in slams he seems to click.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.