Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL at the AO playoff Mark withdrew in his match againt the aussie junior leaving mark 1-2 and not making QF thus meaning doubt any wildcard thus meaning hes injured again thus meaning bye bye tennis prolly.

:(

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
why am I not suprised over this one?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Mark Wahlberg?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
hmmm... i think this "injury" is one of those precautionary/rest injuries. The match against the young replacement player today meant nothing because Mark is automatically awarded the win due to Alun Jones pulling out.

If things go accordingly with the points don't be surprised if Mark is fully recovered for Wednesday's qtr finals. ;)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Mark P pulled out of the match.

That's what i was trying to tell you... regardless if Philippoussis lost (or withdraw) he would still recieve the points because Verryth is just a replacement player.

Brydan Klein retired hurt against Verryth yesterday but was still awarded the win... so Philippousis obviously wanted the day off, rather then play a 16yr old for fun.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Oh, I see there is an article about it so it seems like Philippoussis withdrew then. They sure did a good job on their scoreboard then. :rolleyes:

No, Philippoussis wouldn't have been awarded a win if he lost to Verryth. It would be a loss. It's just that Verryth would be ruled out of contention himself.

Philipoussis withdraws from match

Melbourne Park, 17 December 2007

Mark Philippoussis has withdrawn injured from his round-robin match with substitute Mark Verryth at the Australian Open 2008 Play-off today.

Philippoussis has been asked to provide a medical certificate to explain his absence from this afternoon's match.

Depending on results in other matches, Philippoussis can still make the quarterfinals if Sam Groth defeats Brydan Klein this afternoon. If Klein wins, it will depend on games and sets won by the top three players in Group A.
http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/News.aspx?id=4&pageId=11478&HandlerId=2&archive=false&newsid=3650

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I was sure i read somewhere that Klein was awarded the win despite pulling out... will have a search... anyhoo the match didn't count for anything so that's probably why he pulled out.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Klein just defeated Groth 7-5 6-4. I haven't done any calculations but I think that Klein will be the one that qualifies considering that Philippoussis's retirement today probably counts as a 6-0 6-0 loss. Then again that's not what happened in the Blake-Del Potro incident so how do you fairly compare games and sets then?

By the way, the amount of walkovers in this tournament is ridiculous.
http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/default.aspx?id=4&pageId=13096

Next year, they should ditch round robin.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Yeah its the first time this tournament has been RR format and this is the most withdrawals we've ever had.

I suspect Klein withdrew against Verryth for the same reason, as he obviously isnt injured because he beat Groth today. No one wants to waste their time playing a junior in a match that doesnt count.

I wonder how they will do the countback though, as Groth will be disadvantaged because he didnt have the luxury of playing Verryth, he had to play Alun Jones who gave him a tough match and thus Groth lost more sets. To be fair they should consider that.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Mark Philippoussis is through to the quarter finals of the Australian Open wildcard tournament despite having to withdraw from his final round-robin match at Melbourne Park on Monday.

The Scud withdrew from his match with Mark Verryth, with swelling of the lateral meniscus in his right knee the problem.

In the last match to decide the quarterfinalists, a determined Brydan Klein beat the big-serving Sam Groth 7-5, 6-4 but still fell just short of advancing.

With all three players in Group A winning the same amount of matches and sets, the two quarterfinalists were decided on games won divided by games played. Groth won the pool (0.622) from Philippoussis (0.615) and Klein (0.600).

Philippoussis is receiving treatment to get ready for his Wednesday afternoon match with Victorian Rameez Junaid.

In other results, Adam Feeney of New South Wales and Colin Ebelthite of South Australia both won marathon three set matches. Feeney’s match was particularly close, overcoming a determined challenge from former Optus Australian Davis Cup hitting partner Miles Armstrong 4-6, 7-6(11), 7-6(4), while Ebelthite won beat Andrew Coehlo 2-6, 6-4, 7-5.

Feeney and Ebelthwaite will now face each other in the quarterfinals, while Groth has been drawn against Nick Lindahl.

Western Australia's Matt Ebden will play Victoria's Joseph Sirianni in the other quarterfinal match-up.

On the women's side, Jelena Dokic won her third round-robin match defeating Victorian Karolina Wlodarczak in three sets.

Dokic's fitness was tested after the first two sets were shared 6-2, but she was able to finish the better, eventually winning the final set 6-4.

Dokic will now face 16-year-old Olivia Rogowska of Victoria in the quarterfinals.

Monique Adamczak, the highest ranked woman in the play-off, will take on experienced Victorian Christina Wheeler in the quarterfinals, while Sophie Ferguson will play 15-year-old Isabella Holland of Queensland.

In the battle of the teenagers, last year’s play-off finalist Jessica Moore has been drawn against Victorian Sally Peers who, with Rogowska and Holland, played in Australia’s champion Junior Fed Cup team.

All quarterfinalists will have a rest day on Tuesday, with the knockout stage of the play-off set to take place on Wednesday 19 December.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts