Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like Ernests Gulbis' equally misguided Roland Garros remarks (the Latvian expressed his hope that his sisters won't take up tennis professionally due to the conflicting pressures of a career and motherhood), Matosevic's words caught the attention of those in and around the sport.

"I think that's a bit pig-headed," said his compatriot Sam Stosur following her triumph over America's Christina McHale. "But I think comments like that, you've got to take with a grain of salt and think, 'OK, that's his opinion. Do you care about it? Not really.'"

When told of Stosur's response, Matosevic appeared to be somewhat disappointed. "I like Sam. She's a lovely girl, we have the same manager and that's a shame," he said. He also tried to elaborate on his stance and what he said about WTA tennis.

"I think you should ask the general public," he said after beating Lukas Lacko in the second round of the Aegon Championships. "You guys always ask us players. I think TV [ratings], crowds at the tournaments ... that's your answer. That's the difference between men's and women's tennis."

Matosevic revealed that he received numerous text messages informing him of the media storm caused by his comments. The experience may prove to be one that he learns a lot from, as he claims he had little idea that his words would arouse such a reaction.

"I was surprised that it did [cause a stir] because I thought my comments were pretty innocent," he said. "Women are a big inspiration to me. I didn't mean it to be sexist at all. I didn't mean for that at all, to come across like that. It's a shame it did."

Matosevic clarified that he hadn't intended to be critical of Wimbledon champ Murray. "I didn't say anything against him. His mum did a great job with him. I was just talking about what I thought of women's tennis."

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
This is pathetic, this era of PR nonsesne, why should he explain himself we all know what he meant and he is right ATP is another level comparing to WTA - but it´s o.k it´s normaln men are bigger stronger, faster it´s natural but why this Media attention and everything. He is irght and bet 99 of top 100 in ATP think the same but they are affraid to say it

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
"I think you should ask the general public," he said after beating Lukas Lacko in the second round of the Aegon Championships. "You guys always ask us players. I think TV [ratings], crowds at the tournaments ... that's your answer. That's the difference between men's and women's tennis."

Spot on. The only times when stands are not half-empty (or worse) in womens matches is when it's a joint tournament.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Sad that he even has to qualify his statement.

·
Registered
176 Posts
We're living in a censored era, Orwell predicted this, now you can't even state the truth in case you hurt somebodys feelings.

Look it up - even Harvard uni whose slogan is veritas aka truth are considering self censoring academic speech if it hurts oppressed people I.e. women and minorities :haha:

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
If anyone said 'women's soccer isn't as good as men's' would anyone bat an eyelid?
There's been scientific studies even proving it.
this is good one

can´t imagine women to have World cup in football played every 4 years and whole world watching and so on - just not possible the same goes with tennis and even if we think about it

tennis is globally only sport where women game is relevant - i mean look at other sports football, basketball, other big sports men vs women it´s like 10 levels in difference while WTA tour is globally popular - tennis is only sport that is ,,competitive, from women perspective but still they are way way less quality wise than men´s game which is natural and logical

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Poor Matosevic. He doesn't come across as particularly bright or likeable. If you are going to clarify your ignorant statement, either apologise or stand your ground. He acted innocent then made it worse. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
But the problem is not because it's women's tennis but the current crop of players. It's only the what last decade where men's tennis is better, prior to that it was women's tennis. The gap was even bigger than it is today when women's tennis was way ahead of men's tennis. It might again happen like that. One of the most remembered rivalries are women, Evert-Navratilova, Graf-Seles, Serena-Venus.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
it maybe werent supposed to be sexist, but they were. i like marinko a lot, i support him...but same as gulbis, this made me like him quite a bit less...

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
We're living in a censored era, Orwell predicted this, now you can't even state the truth in case you hurt somebodys feelings.

Look it up - even Harvard uni whose slogan is veritas aka truth are considering self censoring academic speech if it hurts oppressed people I.e. women and minorities :haha:
you can say whatever. we can also say we dislike what you said

lol its crazy you claim that, when nobody tried to censore matosevic...

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
in this day and age you have to be extremely careful about what you say. Its very easy for people to misenterperate someone's words or for the media to twist something guys say into something worse and upsetting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts