Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would Djokovic have been the force that he has been over the last decade without Vajda?

How sought after Djokovic packs it in (maybe 5 years?) will Vajda be?

Where does he rank among the top coaches of the last decade or so?

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Vajda is great coach to Novak obv.

Jelena Gencic - extraordinary lady, athlete, tennis coach , erudite, laid a firm foundation to the player he became.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Honestly, it's hard to say until we see him coach other players, a sample size of one is not enough to know for sure one way or another.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Vajda said in a comeback interview (see other threads) that Djokovic preferred him to Agassi, because Agassi had an american mentality, not a slavic mentality.

Can anybody explain the difference between american and slavic mentality in tennis terms?

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Honestly, it's hard to say until we see him coach other players, a sample size of one is not enough to know for sure one way or another.
Good coach is like a good shoe. What fits perfectly one person doesn't necessarily fit someone else. Vajda is a great coach for Djokovic, that much had been clear many years ago.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Good coach is like a good shoe. What fits perfectly one person doesn't necessarily fit someone else. Vajda is a great coach for Djokovic, that much had been clear many years ago.
Well said. Exactly what I would have said.

·
|
14,307 Posts
Vajda said in a comeback interview (see other threads) that Djokovic preferred him to Agassi, because Agassi had an american mentality, not a slavic mentality.

Can anybody explain the difference between american and slavic mentality in tennis terms?
I don't know, but Agassi seems a bit like Brad Gilbert, very analytical and talks a lot.
I don't know whether Vajda talks a lot or not, but that could be a difference.

·
Premium Member
21,077 Posts

If I had to guess, Agassi was probably all business and no bullshit, while Novak can probably be an emotional rollercoaster at times, and Vajda is not just a coach to him, he's more like a family member, an uncle or an older brother too, so he knows how to navigate out of such situations. :)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
If I had to guess, Agassi was probably all business and no bullshit, while Novak can probably be an emotional rollercoaster at times, and Vajda is not just a coach to him, he's more like a family member, an uncle or an older brother too, so he knows how to navigate out of such situations. :)
Could be. So does any of that really have to do with an American mentality vs. a Slavic mentality? I mean, would Djokovic have gotten along great with a coach from, say, Mexico or China? ;) And Agassi and Vajda probably just have different temperaments period.

·
Premium Member
21,077 Posts
Could be. So does any of that really have to do with an American mentality vs. a Slavic mentality? I mean, would Djokovic have gotten along great with a coach from, say, Mexico or China? ;) And Agassi and Vajda probably just have different temperaments period.
Possibly no, more likely it's someone who knew Novak for a decade vs someone who came during a crisis, when nothing was working anyway. Now, this would probably be much better time to add Agassi, but that ship has sailed I guess. :p

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Vajda is obviously great coach. Maybe he can't teach Novak new tricks, but I think he has incredibly motivating and calming influence influence on him. Even if Novak finds someone to help him adjust his game a bit, he should not let Vajda go imo.

·
|
14,307 Posts
Becker did so well with Djokovic because Nadal was so low on confidence in 2015 that he lost to Berdych in straight sets (including a bagel) at the AO (and Nadal had won their last 17 meetings) and lost to Fognini at the US Open (and all 3 of Fognini's wins over Nadal came in 2015, no other years).
And if you look at Nadal-Djokovic 2015 Roland Garros, Nadal played the same style of tennis as he did in their 2011 meetings (crosscourt over and over again, not going down-the-line, hence low confidence).
In 2016 Nadal had a wrist injury and withdrew from Roland Garros, and was clearly not a title contender at the US Open.
Nadal's virtual absence from the tour led to Djokovic's domination.

Prior to 2015, here was their last 5 slam meetings:
2012ao: Djokovic in 5
2012rg: Nadal in 4
2013rg: Nadal in 5
2013uso: Nadal in 4
2014rg: Nadal in 4

Nadal's absence left Roland Garros and US Open open for Djokovic, and that was as bigger factor as any in Becker's success with Djokovic.

·
Premium Member
21,077 Posts
Becker did so well with Djokovic because Nadal was so low on confidence in 2015 that he lost to Berdych in straight sets (including a bagel) at the AO (and Nadal had won their last 17 meetings) and lost to Fognini at the US Open (and all 3 of Fognini's wins over Nadal came in 2015, no other years).
And if you look at Nadal-Djokovic 2015 Roland Garros, Nadal played the same style of tennis as he did in their 2011 meetings (crosscourt over and over again, not going down-the-line, hence low confidence).
Anyone can play that game - in mid and late 2012 Novak had major family problems and was low on confidence, so that allowed Nadal to dominate in 2013.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts