Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Soooo.... :(
I wasn't really expecting him to win, but definitely not excited to see a retirement. Anyone know what the issue was?

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts

·
85,829 Posts
well, he is in the Houston draw so hopefully he is ok!

·
85,829 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
I watched the livescore of the doubles match and they really struggled!

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Well, we have our answer. Mardy is back, playing the qualifying of Madrid. Injury seems to be recovered. Here is his draw:

(4) DOLGOPOLOV JR., Oleksandr UKR v (WC) MENENDEZ-MACEIRAS, Adrian ESP
(WC) GOMEZ-HERRERA, Carlos ESP v (8) FISH, Mardy USA

He has a really good draw, Dolgopolov played injured this week in Munich and the other players should be no match for him.

Hope Mardy takes advantage of this opportunity, good luck!

·
85,829 Posts
I think he will have a hard time beating Dolgopolov on clay, except that Madrid has some altitude. Anyway, good to see him back and attempting to qualify for the master, but I wonder if playing some challengers in the US an getting match tough for the grass season would've been better....

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
I think he will have a hard time beating Dolgopolov on clay, except that Madrid has some altitude. Anyway, good to see him back and attempting to qualify for the master, but I wonder if playing some challengers in the US an getting match tough for the grass season would've been better....
I would agree with you 100/100 times but in this case, Dolgo is supposedly injured and as you say, this clay surface and altitude suits his game quite well. I think he can qualify, but probably playing at Sarasota would have been a better choice. I don't think he wants to play challengers, probably sees that as a last resort, but the opportunity for match practice and more points for winning the event would have been nice, and obviously as much match toughness and practice for grass is needed. Hopefully this decision doesn't backfire on him.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
So great to see Mardy back! :bounce:
The draw is nice, but still always hard to play 1st clay matches this year!

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Mardy won 6-2 6-2, lost only 10 service points and broke serve 4 times in the match and won more than half of return points. He plays Dolgopolov Jr. in the final round of qualifying tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Mardy is also playing doubles with Mark Knowles!
R1 vs Gimeno Traver/Navarro!
:)

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Mardy failed to qualify in the singles event, losing a 3+ hour match to Dolgopolov, 7-6 (5) 4-6 6-7 (5). Mardy was down a break in the third and came back and was down match point in the third and fought to take it to a tiebreak, but it wasn't enough. But that he took a good clay court player to the distance is a good sign for Mardy for the French, and more importantly about his conditioning for the grass and summer hard court season. Hopefully he's on the right track and takes positives out of the loss.

Good luck to Mardy and Mark in the doubles!

·
85,829 Posts
Mardy got in the singles draw as a lucky loser! He's playing Russell, who also got in as a lucky loser!

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Finally some luck for Mardy! :)
He won in straights!
Melzer next, who is tough but also beatable!

·
85,829 Posts
He lost in 3 but is out playing doubles. so hopefully this at least means he is healthy!

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Mardy to face Berrer in RG R1! :bounce:

61 - 80 of 97 Posts