Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mardy Fish Says US Open to Be Last Tournament of Career

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS JULY 22, 2015, 12:29 P.M. E.D.T.

NEW YORK — Former top-10 player Mardy Fish says the U.S. Open will be the last tennis tournament of his career.

The 33-year-old American has played just one competitive match since August 2013 as he's dealt with anxiety issues. The U.S. Tennis Association said Wednesday that Fish was using a protected ranking to gain entry to the singles field for the year's last Grand Slam event.

Fish tweeted: "I will finish my career at the US Open."

He says he'll play tournaments in Atlanta and Cincinnati before that.

Fish had announced last month that he would play doubles with retired pal Andy Roddick in Atlanta along with making his singles comeback there.

Fish's health problems began in March 2012 when his heart started racing uncontrollably the night after he lost a match at Key Biscayne, Florida.

Really unfortunate for Mardy. He was #8 in the world in 2012 and playing well until this problem started.

Let's wish him and his family all the best.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
11,858 Posts
Loved his game and his ankle socks :hearts:

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
i will miss him :hug:

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
expected, but sad. I liked Mardy's game

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

I watched Mardy practicing with Bradley Klahn 3 weeks ago. He told me he was coming back in Atlanta and he was gonna play Cinci/USO but he did not mention anything about retiring after USO. :sad: Really hope he can end his career on a good note. Why not focus on doubles? Mardy could be a top 10 doubles player... Well at least he gets to retire on his own terms...

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Mardy...he's already been semi-retired, though, so it isn't very sad...but still, it's a little sad to see someone like him truly leave...

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
4 Masters series finals. All lost in deciding sets. First in 2003, last (so far) in 2011.

He decided to get into good shape too late in his career to maximise his potential.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Not sure where all the love for Fish is coming from. He was a fairly arrogant douchebag in his prime.
Agreed. He was a great frontrunner to the crowd when things were going well, but he let the umpires/opponent/ballkids have it when he was down in a match. Great backhand, inconsistent serve, and a forehand only gasquet could love.

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
Sad news.

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,982 Posts
Not sure where all the love for Fish is coming from. He was a fairly arrogant douchebag in his prime.
Nostalgia. Hewitt was an arrogant douchebag in his prime too, but folks have warmed up to him now that he's nearing retirement.

Hell, even I will be sad when certain players I strongly dislike retire from the game.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Nostalgia. Hewitt was an arrogant douchebag in his prime too, but folks have warmed up to him now that he's nearing retirement.
As for me i don't like Hewiit. But what was wrong with Fish ?? Didn't hear anything special about his bad behaviour

·
Registered
744 Posts
Is Ginepri retired as well? He hasn't played since April. Only three active Americans, Fish, Ginepri and Isner have made it to the quarterfinals of majors. Isner has only done it once. The 1997-1999 generation (Tiafoe, Donaldson, etc) of Americans looks quite strong though.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
As for me i don't like Hewiit. But what was wrong with Fish ?? Didn't hear anything special about his bad behaviour
He was quite vulgar and irritable when getting down in a match. Finding arguments with umpires and opponents when it wasn't warranted. He was quite a brat when things weren't going his way. This was his general pattern of behavior, no meltdown match or anything like that.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts