Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are looking for the form player going into the next few tournaments, and even the US Open, then all eyes should really be on Mardy Fish.
The Florida-born star is easily looking in the best form of his entire career to date after he defeated fellow countryman John Isner 4-6 6-4 7-6 (7-4) to win the Atlanta Tennis Championship at the weekend.

That ensured he won a second successive ATP Tour title and also took his recent unbeaten run to ten matches - which included beating Andy Roddick, the top seed, on his way to lifting the trophy.

As a result of that win, Fish has risen to world number 35, which is a move upwards of 14 positions, and he is looking to get back into the world top 20, something the tennis betting suggests he can do.

He got there early in his career, in 2003, but then major injury problems to both his wrist and knee blighted his game and he plummeted to outside to top 100.

Fish admitted after his victory in Atlanta that he has been putting in a lot fitness work with his new trainer and it "feels great" to come back and win big games and tournaments.

"This is as top as I've ever been," he said.

"I've never won two tournaments in one year, I've never won two tournaments in a row and on the ATP Tour I've never won ten matches in a row. It's probably as good as it's been."

Fish is now going to be hoping to keep his rich vein of form going all the way to the US Open, where he made it to the quarter-finals back in 2008. He will be something of an outsider in the US Open tennis odds, but he won't be too long a price.

Foremost in his mind though is going to be this week's ATP Farmers Classic in Los Angeles where he is drawn to play Benjamin Becker in the first round.

The German is going to be no pushover by any means, but if Fish can continue on with the form he has been showing in recent weeks – then it is likely he could go a long way in LA and possibly even lift trophy number three of 2010.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts