1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former Tennis Pro Given Task of Taming Safin
By REUTERS

Filed at 2:11 p.m. ET

ROTTERDAM, Netherlands (Reuters) - Former tennis journeyman Denis Golovanov has landed one of the most unenviable jobs in the sport -- to tame his temperamental fellow Russian Marat Safin.

Safin's fragile temperament has come under the microscope in the past as he often erupts when things are not going according to plan -- breaking rackets for fun.

It takes a strong willed person to stand up to Safin and the world No. 7 believes Golovanov has the ideal credentials to be his coach since he ``knows the way I think.''

``You have to understand tennis but you also have to understand the personality of the player,'' said Safin, who overcame Belgium's Xavier Malisse, 7-5, 6-3, in the first round of the World Indoor Tournament Wednesday after being sidelined for a month with a wrist injury.

``He knows me really well, we've known each other for 11 years so he knows what kind of person I am and what I need and what I want.''

Safin has wasted little time in terminating the services of the numerous coaches he has hired over the years.

In fact, the fiery Russian has worked with five different coaches, including Switzerland's Marc Rosset, over the past three seasons.

Having employed Golovanov after the Paris Masters last year, Safin said: ``It's usually difficult when you hire a new coach as it takes two or three months to get to know each other ... and to see if you like each other. You need a person to trust and I trust him.''

Golovanov has certainly had his work cut out with his new charge over the past six weeks.

Safin, who admits to being ``not a very patient person'' has suffered both shoulder and wrist injuries since the new season started, which have severely curtailed his on court activities.

But after spending five years on the brutal lower tier challenger circuit, the 23-year-old Golovanov is well aware of the frustrations that go with the sport.

``I helped him (Golovanov) at the beginning of his career with some money but he found it difficult to travel on the tour by himself,'' said the 2000 U.S. Open champion.

``So I suggested why not come with me.''

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Here is a list of Marat's former coaches:

Rauza Islanova (Marat's mum and first coach)
Raphael Mensua
Andre Chesnokov
Alexander Volkov
Mats Wilander
Amit Noar
Denis Golovanov *cough*

so to answer you question, we are up to number 7 now :eek:

·
Registered
326 Posts
For about two years now I've felt that Marat did not need a coach per se just someone to do pre-match scouting for him during tournaments. Technically he's pretty much perfect. I don't really see what a coach can do for him. If it's the "mental" thing, I'm not sure what a coach, any coach can do.

·
Registered
213 Posts
He might have perfect technique, but he can use some improvement in the shot selection area. Golovanov is 23 years old? Enough experience to coach Safin?

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
walee said:
Golovanov is 23 years old? Enough experience to coach Safin?
Sounds like a "Yes" man to me! Maybe Marat knows he needs a coach but doesn't like being told what to do, thus loses his concentration and loses matches like that Aussie 02 abomination so he gets a old Junior tennis hitting partner to act like a coach and mentally begins to think, "Yes, I have a coach he will do wonders for me" and AMAZINGLY starts to pick up his game and wins a succession of Grand Slams!:D :D :D

·
Registered
444 Posts
Darn it tennis fool, took words out of my mouth (errr fingers :p)!!! :D

·
Registered
326 Posts
I agree with you tennis fool. He really does not seem to care to much for people telling him what to do. But I would think anyone who's been pretty much on their own since the age of 14 and sent to a different country will not take to kindly to any authority figure.

What's wrong with his shot selection? Isn't what makes Marat so absolutely spectacular the fact for him high risk shots are easy.

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
We'll just have to wait and see. My feeling tells me that it might even work out. Marat knows what he has to do. In interviews before AO he said that he needs to stay focussed during the entire match and not give up. Together with his talent this has to bring him somewhere. A victory at RG I hope.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't see how Golovonov can be much use. It's all ver well being the travelling chum but that isn't coaching. So imo he is still coachless. A coach does all the scouting of other players. As for strategy Golovonov wasn't good player so i fail to see how he can help him in that department

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Is that the only reason?

Maybe Denis and Dinara are an item and they are trying to hide it from their parents? :p

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
**Breaking News***

Marat fires Denis G. after losing 2nd set tiebreak and the match in the third at ABN Amro to old dog KAFELNIKOV :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Marat definitely does need a coach. A good coach, not a 23 years old who didn't even make it out of the Challenger circuit.:fiery:

A coach will help Marat learn to think on the court; a coach will help with strategy against various players; a coach will help him with his serve and return; but most of all, a coach will keep him out of the bars.:eek:

He needs to start taking his tennis seriously before it's too late. Mark Phillipousis was a "party boy" and has lived to regret it. Marat is headed in the same direction. He needs someone to boss him and make him seek the right path.

If players like Andre Agassi and Pete Sampras still think they need a coach then certainly Marat does.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Well, believe me, Marat DOES take his Tennis seriously. When you would read his interviews after matches he looses, especially now, you would see that he is totally lost and sad ... He`s just too much a perfectionist . He wants to win too badly. I mean he comes back from an injury break... he must give himself some time and slowly build up his self confidence. He is just too much unpatient.
But yeah, Tennis is not everything for Marat. And that is great, because he is a young man and he wants to enjoy his life, make the best of it... Not just live for tennis. Thats not the matter. And i think it is also NOT his Problem that he sometimes goes out partying and so on. Let this Boy have his fun!
His problem is that when he is on the court he has his Off moments...just have a blockade..concentrating not well etc. and sometimes also closing out matches... That is what a coach should work with him out,his mental side, and okay.. as well to build a strategy before matches, especially for "not known" Players. From Playing skills and fitness, he has everything.
I don`t know if the thing with Denis G. will work out, but lets wait and see. Marat says he needs someone who he can trust and who understands him...Denis knows Marat very well.
Personally i think his relation with Mats Wilander was just perfect...even if Marat still wasn`t at his bets at that time, but i had the feeling that Mats helps Marat pretty much...its a pity that they stopped. And Alexander Volkov was also a great man for Marat. He could inspir Marat very well.

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
Thanks Andrea you said it.
I'm wondering when people will stop saying he's a party boy. So he goes out ONCE AND A WHILE, who doesn't. He's more devoted to his tennis then you think.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts