Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the most vile human beings ever born passed away last night.

For those who doesn't know, he was the chief of Pinochet's secret police and arranged the kidnapping, torture, death and disappearence of thousands of my countrymen. He was currently serving a sentence of more than 500 years in prison because of his horrible crimes.

I can't feel happy for someone's death, but there's something anyone can deny: this country (and the entire world) feels a bit more healthy today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Contreras

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-33831527

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
I thought Miguel Serrano was the Chilean Himmler. Or at least, he wanted to be.

Good news, anyway. On the topic of Chile and dictators, it is a shame the current Chilean government is not willing to deport Margot Honecker to Germany so she can face justice for the crimes she committed against the East German people.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought Miguel Serrano was the Chilean Himmler. Or at least, he wanted to be.

Good news, anyway. On the topic of Chile and dictators, it is a shame the current Chilean government is not willing to deport Margot Honecker to Germany so she can face justice for the crimes she committed against the East German people.
Serrano? Ideologically maybe, but he didn't have a power position to exterminate people if I recall correctly :confused:

I haven't got enough information about the Honecker issue so I won't give my opinion. But we had a right-wing government not long ago, so I guess it's more than only an ideological bias.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
I'm kidding about Serrano. I know he was a diplomat, but ultimately just some weirdo who lived in his own depraved fantasies (like most post-war Nazis).

The Honecker thing is strange. As someone who is totally opposed to all authoritarian governments, I don't think left or right should be relevant. There are many people who opposed Pinochet and Franco just as much as we opposed Hoxha and Honecker. It might be more controversial if Erich Honecker was still alive, since he was the actual head of state in the DDR. He died in Santiago, I believe, escaping justice; but extradition might not have been significant regardless, because a lot of Eastern European despots from the Cold War managed to worm their way into post-1989 governments and even into the European Parliament.

Sorry for driving it off-topic, though. This guy sounds like a total dickhead. I should read more about Chile. He seems like a good starting point to read about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts