Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AO:
Rogie 99 (needs 1 more, likely to get in less than 24 hours against Millman, if not in 2020, unless he retires, in 2021 for sure)
Djokovic 70 (needs 30 more, could possibly get it)
Rafa 63 (needs 37 more, I'm thinking not)

FO:
Rafa 93 (if he wins it this year playing 7 matches with no walkovers, then in 2020, but he's definitely getting it)
Rogie 70 (no way is Rogie winning another 30 matches here, that ship has long sailed)
Djokovic 68 (there is some chances of it happening, but I have serious doubts)

W:
Rogie 101 (already there and will add to it in 2020 and possibly beyond)
Djokovic 72 (needs 28 more, there is some chances of it happening)
Rafa 53 (no way this is happening, needs another 47, all over, not happening)

USO:
Rogie 89 (needs 11 more, depends on how many years Rogie plays and if he can win like 4-6 matches per USO, else it won't happen)
Djokovic 72 (needs 28 more, this one could happen indeed)
Rafa 64 (needs 36 more, I don't see it happening)

Your thoughts on the matter?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
None of these guys needing 28 wins or more at a slam are going to make it. I mean, winning the slam 4 times in a row would just about get them there! As their decline continues, so it gets harder, and so retirement comes closer.

Fed has a chance at USO, but only if he plays for another three years at least, I think. And that's unlikely.

When it's all over, I think Fed will have 100 at Wimbledon and AO.
Rafa will have 100 at FO.

And that's it.

The end is nigh for all of them.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I say Rogie AO 100, Rafa FO 100, Rogie already W 100 done, and USO is the big ? can Rogie win another 11 there!!

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rafa currently has 273 wins, can he get to 300 total? I say yes, but probably not 350 and beyond....
Djokovic currently has 284 wins, and he will definitely get to 300, but 350 and beyond is somewhat a ?
Rogie currently has 359 wins, can he get to 400 total? I think it's a long stretch to expect 41 more wins, but to get to 385 or so I think he can do (another 26 wins), it all comes down to which year is his last year, 2020, 2021, or beyond??

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Just to keep things in perspective. The old (pre-Federer) match wins in grand slams was 250 by Connors and about that many for Rosewall, if you count all his pro slams. That 400 is even being discussed is absolutely bonkers.

·
The special one
14,376 Posts
AO
Federer yes
Djokovic No - He's AO GOAT anyway with most titles, doesn't need this stat.
Nadal No

RG
Nadal yes
Federer No
Djokovic No

Wimbledon
Djokovic No
Nadal No

USO
No to all 3

Djokovic and Nadal would have to be going deep in slams for the next 5-6 years to reach most of these milestones.

Edit : Actually thinking about it a bit more. I'd rate Federers chances of 100 wins at USO at close to 50/50 chance. I don't think he's winning another title there but I can see him reaching another 2 or 3 QFs/SFs which will push him over the line.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
definitely one of Federer's greatest achievements, possibly getting 100 GS wins at three different slams

Reactions: Joe H and paca

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would be befitting if Rogie finishes with 100 or more AO, W, and USO wins and Rafa with 100 or more FO wins, like the days of 2006 and 2007 when Rogie won the AO, W, and USO, and Rafa won the FO!!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Federer could perhaps get it at USO but not super likely. Dull and Djokovic have no chance at any of them except Dull at RG.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There it is, Rogie 100 at AO and 101 at W, 2 grand slams with 100 or more wins, Rafa might get it at FO this year if he wins it and no walkovers (at 93 now), USO still TBD!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Roger has got his 100 at AO an now for Rafa to get his at FO. That will probably be it!! I don't see Djokovic getting to 100 in any.

For Federer to get 100 at USO it will all depend on how he plays this year. Wouldn't he be 39 already?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Federer will play at least another 5 years, so US open is mostly a lock
The rationale is that he will play as long as Nadal is winning slams
and I see Nadal as the favorite or at least a serious contender in French open in the next 5 years
so Federer will play another 5 years for Nadal's sake, and probably another 2 years for money's sake, that'll make him playing until 45 years old, which is really old compared to most historical tennis legends but not really exceptionally old if you look at his body

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just to keep things in perspective. The old (pre-Federer) match wins in grand slams was 250 by Connors and about that many for Rosewall, if you count all his pro slams. That 400 is even being discussed is absolutely bonkers.
I Think you can't count it the same way for Rosewall, because the pro tour was not only focused on pro slams, there were also the world pro championship series. A better approach would be to count his wins in A-grade tournaments on the Tennis Base scale. There, Rosewall got 317 wins. I think he's only second to Federer in Tennis history in that regard, but Djokovic and maybe Nadal should be able to pass him.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
I Think you can't count it the same way for Rosewall, because the pro tour was not only focused on pro slams, there were also the world pro championship series. A better approach would be to count his wins in A-grade tournaments on the Tennis Base scale. There, Rosewall got 317 wins. I think he's only second to Federer in Tennis history in that regard, but Djokovic and maybe Nadal should be able to pass him.
The problem with this approach is the fairness aspect. You'd have to pro rate the wins to 4 tourneys a year. The other problem with that approach is the artificial inflation for the era. You'd have essentially eight slams a year all counting for wins. I don't have a good solution for it. One view is to count only the amateur slams, but then that shortchanges players like Laver and Rosewall who don't get their due.

In any case, Roger's numbers are well beyond even Rosewall's regardless of the system used so I think it makes this particular argument moot. It's also unlikely that his mark will be challenged anytime soon. If he actually reaches 400, that would be the same as winning 20 slam matches a season for 20 years.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Will Rogie win 40 more though for 400?? His last 40 wins are from 2017 Wimbledon F- 2020 AO 3rd round, can he rack up another 40 in the next 3 or so years, will he play that many more years and still be good enough?? 360 is a nice round number and the final number will be greater than 360, but will it be 400?? I seriously have my doubts, but 380-385 is quite possible for Rogie!! A lot of it depends on what his final year is and how effective he still is in grand slam matches in the years to come!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts