Mens Tennis Forums banner

121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
George, this is the translation you asked for (I don't like the way the guy writes, but I like the content...):

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/0...tes/d-03107.htm

A FLAG AND HUNDREDS OF EMOTIONS

It was all euphoria, all madness, all Slovakia. Players embracing other players, the technical team embracing the technical team, the public embracing other members of the public. Slovakia was already a Davis Cup finalist, people were calculating how the final would be against Croatia between December the 2nd and the 4th in that same venue, and the main protagonists were walking on air as the whole stadium celebrated.

And then, the chants, the drums, the echoes and even the embraces came to a halt. Near the spot where Miloslav Mecir, Dominik Hrbaty and Karol Beck were standing something different appeared: a flag. Just a simple flag, a large rectangle with words written by some anonymous man. It said this, surprisingly it said this: “Argentina you are fantastic. Thank you. The Slovak fans”. The very members of the Slovak team raised it on high, and later it became known that it was those same local players who had had it written. An Argentine in the stands said: “It’s incredible”. Another Argentine looked at it as many times as it is possible to look at something. Another Argentine clasped his hands to his breast, hard.

A group of people started to applaud, applauded once more and once more again. After the applause came the voices, the voices of the Slovaks. And those voices were followed by a sound: “Argentina”. The sound of four thousand Slovaks saying “Argentina” with the same intensity as they had chanted “Slovakia” almost continuously all throughout the weekend. It lasted one minute, two minutes, a length of time it would be pointless to measure. Four hundred astonished Argentines, moved and moving, were up to the situation and responded in turn with the word “Slovakia”. It would be senseless to look for further appraisals or adjectives. Sufficient to admit that it would have been worth being in Bratislava, Slovakia, in the midst of the rigours and exaggerations of modern-day sport, to witness this sweetest of moment.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Vale, thanks for that, you don't have to like the guy that wrote this, but I saw deivid posted this on GM and gave a basic version of this article and I think it's a great thing and thanks for translation.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have just returned from my holidays and I am trying to catch up with the last posts.

Just some comments:

As most of you, I was also relieved when it was confirmed that Gaston would not play that decisive match. The Malaga issue was terrible: media launched an incredibly bitter attack on Gaston, and I did not want him to go through that situation again if he did not succeed in winning the match.

I have read Vale´s comments about Guillermo Coria, and I totally agree with her. I believe that as long as the opinions expressed in the forum are respectful, all of us should be tolerant enough to accept other viewpoints.

Finally, I loved the fact that even though Gaston was not playing, all of you supported the Argentine team so much and followed the event with so much enthusiasm. You are great!

121 - 127 of 127 Posts