Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
* Djokovic has started his run very late and although hes the form player these days he'd be breaking years of tennis history if he was to win enough slams to catch Nadal or Federer very few have won slams after they turn 28 let alone Multiple ones
For comparison:

Code:
Number of slam titles after turning 28:

8	William Tilden
7	William Larned
5	Andre Agassi
5	Rod Laver
5	Roy Emerson
4	Ken Rosewall
4	Frank Parker
3	Jimmy Connors
3	John Newcombe
3	Jaroslav Drobny
3	Pat O'Hara Wood
3	Norman Brookes
3	Arthur Gore
3	Laurence Doherty
2	Roger Federer
2	Pete Sampras
2	Ivan Lendl
2	Victor Seixas
2	Henri Cochet
2	Jean Borotra
2	James Anderson
2	Anthony Wilding
2	John Hartley
Of course many great players in the past turned pro relatively young which reduces slam counts. I haven't done age stats including pro majors.

·
The Last Mohican
24,737 Posts
In 6 years, Roger had 5 multi-slam winning seasons. Concentrated greatness.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
PHP:
Nadal    Federer    Djokovic

19:1=1   -          -
20:1=2   -          - 
21:1=3   -          21:1=1
22:2=5   22:1=1     22:0=1
23:1=6   23:3=4     23:0=1
24:3=9   24:2=6     24:3=4
25:1=10  25:3=9     25:1=5
26:1=11  26:3=12    26:1=6
27:2=13  27:1=13    27:1=7
28:1=14  28:2=15    28:1=8
         29:1=16     
         30:0=16
         31:1=17
Obviously played in different era's ETC.

Some interesting Observations:

* By 22 Nadal seemingly looked easily like beating any slam count Federer would reach. The same could be said we he was 24 after just winning RG Wimbledon and the US Open back to back

* While Nadal has won at least 1 Major a year Federer keeps ahead of him Mainly because he's had 5 Multi-Slam years to Nadal's 3

* Djokovic has started his run very late and although hes the form player these days he'd be breaking years of tennis history if he was to win enough slams to catch Nadal or Federer very few have won slams after they turn 28 let alone Multiple ones
Djokovic isnt 28? are you talking seasons or actual age?

·
The Last Mohican
24,737 Posts
In other words you just noticed how average he is in slam winning age stats. Concentrated clown era rather.
Greatness takes time, but it's imminent and its potency: unrivaled. What's the rush to blow your load when you got like 8 years of prime left...? Concentrated greatness is pretty underrated in GOAT debates, whereas mediocre 1 slam consistency is overrated.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
In other words you just noticed how average he is in slam winning age stats. Concentrated clown era rather.
How is a regular (i.e. average) performance curve, similar to most ATGs something bad? :confused:

Most ATGs started winning young (Federer at 21), had their best results until age 28 and won very little after that age. There were some notable exceptions, but most are pre-open-era. The only relevant exception is Agassi and I won't go too much into what I think of him, due to the expression of such thoughts being a bannable offense around here.

:facepalm: @ clown era.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Those couple of years where Djokovic was fucking around, 22 YO and 23 YO might eventually cost him GOATness.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Those couple of years where Djokovic was fucking around, 22 YO and 23 YO might eventually cost him GOATness.
He had health issues then. That wasn't his fault. But yes, it did cost him peaking late. His mugging in 2013 cost him dearly too.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
How is a regular (i.e. average) performance curve, similar to most ATGs something bad? :confused:

Most ATGs started winning young (Federer at 21), had their best results until age 28 and won very little after that age. There were some notable exceptions, but most are pre-open-era. The only relevant exception is Agassi and I won't go too much into what I think of him, due to the expression of such thoughts being a bannable offense around here.

:facepalm: @ clown era.
Rosewall won 4 slams in the open era ages 33,35,36,37. Laver won 5 slams in the open era ages 29,30,31. Rosewall won his first 2 slams at 18, in 53, but could not compete in slams from 57-68, ages 22-33. For most players peak years usually are 22-30. There are exceptions to every rule, though very few.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Yes, if his 2011 started in 2009, he'd be well on his way do demolish all the known records, but who knows what awaits the future of tennis with these 30+ year olds still hanging around strong.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Obviously played in different era's ETC.

Some interesting Observations:

* By 22 Nadal seemingly looked easily like beating any slam count Federer would reach. The same could be said we he was 24 after just winning RG Wimbledon and the US Open back to back

* While Nadal has won at least 1 Major a year Federer keeps ahead of him Mainly because he's had 5 Multi-Slam years to Nadal's 3

Nole is the dominant #1 and very hungry due to his many self made defeats unlike any other 28 year old before him, with still a month to go.
All those other guys had a hot period before someone else usurped them and then they declined. Even when Nole is down , it's always on him to bring himself up.

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
While Nadal has won at least 1 Major a year Federer keeps ahead of him Mainly because he's had 5 Multi-Slam years to Nadal's 3
This is mostly what we've been trying to tell Nadal fans for awhile now.

Nadal in the past 4 years: 5 slams, one off clay.

Federer in the past 4 years, 4 slams.

Nadal's been losing ground for the last 5 years, really.

·
Registered
905 Posts
He doesn't turn 28 till later this month, so he has four more slams before he turns 29. He could well win three of four of those slams moving him to 11 or 12 at age 28. He has a good chance to do the same next year which would move him past Nadal and close to Federer. With no real competition on the horizon he could easily win one or two a year after that till he hits 33 or 34 moving him past Fed.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Yes, if his 2011 started in 2009, he'd be well on his way do demolish all the known records, but who knows what awaits the future of tennis with these 30+ year olds still hanging around strong.
We will have a cycling like awakening?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
He doesn't turn 28 till later this month, so he has four more slams before he turns 29. He could well win three of four of those slams moving him to 11 or 12 at age 28. He has a good chance to do the same next year which would move him past Nadal and close to Federer. With no real competition on the horizon he could easily win one or two a year after that till he hits 33 or 34 moving him past Fed.
The list is made by season, not age.. i dont know why people are discussing..when the list is invalid.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The list is made by season, not age.. i dont know why people are discussing..when the list is invalid.
How is it by seasons? so your're telling me when Federer won his first Wimbledon Nadal already had 5 Slams? This is by age and i actually posted because
of all the Djokovic hype of late currently Yes he's not 28 yet obviously but i didn't think i'd have to spell it out that it's by what age they turned the year
they won those slams. Sorry i forgot the fine print it gets you burnt on MTF it seems. Next time i'll list it for you. Nadal had 14 at the year end of 28 Djokovic
is currently on 8 so it'll be interesting to see what he ends up on but in the end i don't know if he'll catch Nadal or Federer.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts