Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
dude i can't type sooo many typos i think i'm still dying of shock form robby and andy meeting so early :bigcry:

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
adee-gee said:
Gee, British interest will be over by Round 1 :(
yayyyyyy!!!!! sky will have no choice but to shut up about them then :p

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
Éowyn said:
yayyyyyy!!!!! sky will have no choice but to shut up about them then :p
:lol: I'm sure they'll still manage to fit in a vast amount of Henman references.

Hopefully Murray can qualify, but I was just having a look at the Qualifier places. I don't think there's anywhere that he could be placed where I'd be confident in him going past 1 or 2 rounds :(

·
Registered
812 Posts
Interesting 1st and possible 2nd round/3rd round matches:

Gael Monfils vs Novak Djokovic
James Blake vs Greg Rusedski

2nd round:
Andy Roddick vs Ginepri
Mario Ancic vs Gael Monfils/Novak Djokovic
Paul-Henri Mathieu vs Tim Henman
Andre Agassi vs Ivo Karlovic (Agassi hates hard servers)
Sebastien Grosjean vs Tomas Johansson

3rd round:
Gasquet vs Ivan Ljubicic
Marat Safin vs Max Mirnyi
Henman/Mathieu vs Ancic/monfils/Djokovic
Fernando Gonzalez vs Nalbandian
Tomas Berdych vs Agassi
James Blake vs Rafael NAdal

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
adee-gee said:
:lol: I'm sure they'll still manage to fit in a vast amount of Henman references.

Hopefully Murray can qualify, but I was just having a look at the Qualifier places. I don't think there's anywhere that he could be placed where I'd be confident in him going past 1 or 2 rounds :(
Adee:wavey: although i like andy he'll hopefully lose today ;)

·
Registered
24,581 Posts
Lets go:

Jiri Novak
Fernando Gonzalez
Wayne Arthurs
Taylor Dent
Paul-Henri Mathieu
Max Mirnyi
Jarkko Nieminen
Alexander Popp
Richard Gasquet
Jan Michael Gambill
Mardy Fish :hug:
Thomas Johansson :hearts:
Greg Rusedski
Igor Andreev

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
good draws for ivan and mario :)
good first round for ivo :)

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
jtipson said:
What's worse is that the draw is reportedly made the day before, today all they do is plop the 32 seeds in place! How long can that take?
This is horseshit and it's not allowed by the ITF. You really shouldn't spread BS like that around unless you have a reliable source for it.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Fee said:
This is horseshit and it's not allowed by the ITF. You really shouldn't spread BS like that around unless you have a reliable source for it.
OK, I'll check up on the thread that Socket referred me to earlier.

Right, here's the thread: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=731784&postcount=16

Let me place the text here for reference. Socket wrote to TennisWeek to ask them about the draw last year, and got the following reply from Richard Pagliaro.

The way the US Open draw is conducted is the USTA officials, with WTA and ATP officials present to ensure the integrity of the draw, draw the UNSEEDED players the night before. In this case, they drew those unseeded players and set them in the draw Tuesday night. Scoville Jenkins was drawn on line 127 of the men's draw Tuesday night. So it was a given Andy Roddick would play him since Roddick, as the second seed, is automatically slotted on line #128 at the bottom of the draw just as Roger Federer, as the top seed, is automatically slotted on line #1 of the draw.

Then yesterday morning at the UN the USTA drew the seeded players and slotted them in the draw.

Several people have emailed me today believing the draw is "fixed" because Venus and Serena are on opposite ends. It's definitely not fixed. I was there. They put chips (that look like poker chips) with the seeds numbers on them and put them in the trophy and then went around the room and drew the seeds. In fact, Tennis Week editor Andre Christopher was one of the people who pulled seeds out of the trophy.
So I doubt this is bullshit ;)

Note that I wasn't commenting on whether the draw was fixed, merely that with this method of drawing they should be able to get the draw up on their website a heck of a lot quicker than they usually do because they only need to add 32 names into it today.

·
34,642 Posts
Thomas Johansson!!! Zabaleta is a good first round opponent. Gros jean is a hard one. But I would love to see ToJo against Guga in third (Robredo in his way again, but I have doubts of his first round with Goldstein)
Mello has Monaco in first round. A good win can give him some courage to face big Berdych in 2nd round.
Sricahaphan, El Aynaoui, Dent, Mirnyi and Nadal also have my "good luck"

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
jtipson said:
OK, I'll check up on the thread that Socket referred me to earlier.

Right, here's the thread: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=731784&postcount=16
Thanks for posting this information. I remember reading about this last year, but I had completely forgotten about it. I also vaguely remember that the USTA got some amount of flack for it and wasn't going to do it anymore, so let me check around and see if I can find anything.

My apologies for the harsh language. You have a record of integrity in this forum and I should have remembered that you are not the type who blows smoke and writes clueless posts. :D

·
Registered
70,027 Posts
now finally my US Open good luck list :D

good luck:

Jurgen Melzer
Albert Montañes
Victor Hanescu
Olivier Rochus
Juan Carlos Ferrero :D
Nicolas Kiefer
Nicolas Lapentti :D
Christophe Rochus
Dmitry Tursunov
Lleyton Hewitt
Nicolas Almagro
Lars Burgsmuller
David Ferrer :D
Dominik Hrbaty :D
Fernando Verdasco :D
Paul-Henri Mathieu :D
:worship: Novak Djokovic :worship:
Mario Ancic
Jarkko Nieminen
:worship: Karol Beck :worship:
Vincent Spadea
Robin Soderling
Filippo Volandri
Feliciano Lopez
Jan-Michael Gambill
Stanislas Wawrinka
Richard Gasquet
Janko Tipsarevic
Rainer Schuettler
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez
Gilles Muller
Juan Monaco
Philipp Kohlschreiber :D
Tomas Berdych :D
Mikhail Youzhny :D
Florian Mayer
Brian Baker
Gaston Gaudio
Thomas Johansson
Paul Goldstein :D
Tommy Robredo :D
Igor Andreev :D
Bobby Reynolds
:worship: Rafael Nadal :worship:

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Just to put my correspondence with Tennis Week in context, the day before the draw was to be made, a tennis site (tennis-x.com, I think) reported that Roddick was going to play Scoville Jenkins in the first round. I e-mailed Richard Pagliaro at TW to ask him how anybody could possibly know this before the draw. I then posted his answer explaining how the draw is done, which explains how that site knew what it knew.

·
Miss Fabray
55,507 Posts
Horrible draw :p

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Fee said:
Thanks for posting this information. I remember reading about this last year, but I had completely forgotten about it. I also vaguely remember that the USTA got some amount of flack for it and wasn't going to do it anymore, so let me check around and see if I can find anything.

My apologies for the harsh language. You have a record of integrity in this forum and I should have remembered that you are not the type who blows smoke and writes clueless posts. :D
No problems, Fee :) Have to say your post did make me think twice though, and I was glad to see Richard Vach's name at the bottom of Socket's letter!

Do let us know if you find out anything more about the draw method. I seem to remember the AO has gone to an instant computerised method now, and that's even more scary than this one.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts