Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Any overly patriotic crowd is awful

Votes: 13 15.9%
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think so. Their behaviour is utterly disgusting towards anyone who isn't Spanish, especially if they are playing Nadal or have a good chance to beat him.

The worst two cases are definitely the Dimi vs Djoko match in 2013 and the Nadal vs Nishi match last year. In the former, the crowd bullied Djoker to a disgusting degree and even shouted obscenities at a young girl in the crowd who supported Djoker. All because he had just beaten Nadal at Monte Carlo and they were running scared. At the time I remember a pathetic trolling thread by a Nadal fan calling it the best crowd ever or something. Guessing that thread got shut, it certainly should have done.

Then last years final in which Nishi was outclassing Nadal but then got injured. The crowd booing Nishi when he was clearly hurt was absolutely appalling. So much so that Nadal had to tell them to stop. You all know what I think of his sportsmanship but in this instance he was right. It was so uncalled for.

If you are a fan of Spanish players that is fine, but I seriously worry about anyone who doesn't objectively think the crowd are vile. So desperate for their players to win they will make it happen by bullying. Awful stuff. The FO crowd can be silly but it's mainly just pantomime, whereas the Madrid crowd get genuinely nasty.

I wish it wasn't a Masters for this reason. Get another clay masters, or finally get a grass one. But this crowd are just :eek:

Reactions: Lacabra

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Just watch Kyrgios vs Federer. Hardly any clap left for Nick at the end of a match.

Reactions: Floki

·
Registered
395 Posts
They were bad and annoying even when supporting the likes of Andujar against the likes of Sock. But there are some other disgusting crowds, like the one in Sao Paulo (the amount of bullying Vanni had to endure against Souza was horrifying, for example).

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are nasty, and without the tennis knowledge of the French crowd to redeem them. I think they're the worst.
Agreed. That's one good thing about the FO crowd, their tennis knowledge is good. Also I feel like a lot of what they do is more of a pantomime with no real malice. They can be awful, but a lot of the time it's just silly. I have never seen a FO crowd member shout obscenities at a young fan in the crowd. That's just too much :sad:

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Nothing against Spanish people in general. I have so many Latin/Spanish friends here in Canada. They seem to be too passionate and tend to overact sometimes. I don't really mind it, I tell them when they 'cross the line' ...

I'm having a hard time understanding the difference between Madrid and Barcelona. It seems to me that people in Barcelona are much more civil. Maybe someone from Spain could explain. I guess I know shit about Spain and I don't want to judge Spain based on their tennis tournaments :).

·
Registered
16,919 Posts
I'm having a hard time understanding the difference between Madrid and Barcelona. It seems to me that people in Barcelona are much more civil. Maybe someone from Spain could explain. I guess I know shit about Spain and I don't want to judge Spain based on their tennis tournaments :).
People in Barcelona are first and foremost Catalans, then Spanish.
VamosRafaNadal explained it perfectly once: people in Madrid who visit those matches are mainly football fans. They drag their cheering habits into the tennis court which is a big fail here.
Thereby they often behave too offensive, too loud, too disgusting versus a foreign player. Heck even a Spanish player with "low" standings.

Though similar behavior you can always experience in fellow Mediterranian countries, in fellow competitive sports.

·
Registered
29,240 Posts
Where is the "Can't decide between Madrid and Paris" option. Disgusting crowds both of them.

·
29,637 Posts
Shit crowd. Not even a tennis-clever crowd, just a bunch of arrogant middle-class wankers.

Shit tournament as well- Hamburg was always better.

·
23,538 Posts
I agree. It seems a bit much when they whistle (the most frequent among the tournaments I have noticed), and it is very distracting to the players. Too many of them all cheer for errors. That match with Andujar with Sock really had the crowd go rowdy when Sock had the lead.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
I think so. Their behaviour is utterly disgusting towards anyone who isn't Spanish, especially if they are playing Nadal or have a good chance to beat him.

The worst two cases are definitely the Dimi vs Djoko match in 2013 and the Nadal vs Nishi match last year. In the former, the crowd bullied Djoker to a disgusting degree and even shouted obscenities at a young girl in the crowd who supported Djoker
:eek:
Let's see if Bulgarian fans have balls to do the same with some Nadal's supportress tomorrow :)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I think so.
You really shouldn't be allowed to post polls here. Seriously.
Your polls are not about asking about opinions but rather making a statement.

For example this poll doesn't have positive option at all. Aka Madrid crowd is terrible according to the poll no matter what option one chooses.

Disgusting.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
You really shouldn't be allowed to post polls here. Seriously.
Your polls are not about asking about opinions but rather making a statement.
For example this poll doesn't have positive option at all. Aka Madrid crowd is terrible according to the poll no matter what option one chooses.
Disgusting.
It's not necessary in this certain case. No need to call black white

·
Registered
645 Posts
Shit crowd. Not even a tennis-clever crowd, just a bunch of arrogant middle-class wankers.

Shit tournament as well- Hamburg was always better.
yes.
Gunter Parche agrees with you 100%

It's not necessary in this certain case. No need to call black white
someone maybe like it? personally, I don't, but that doesn't mean someone else is not enjoying this type of crowd.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
The worst are the Brazilians, by far. Just look at the Rola - Souza match from a couple of months ago. No class whatsoever.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts