Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
lol I was watching this match and Thiem vs Fognini simultaneously -- and the disparity in the quality of hitting between the matches is hilarious :lol:
Chardy is just a mediocre player, and Novak was vulnerable as hell too. Djokovic gotta up his game because at this rate, the first decent player he faces will send him back to Pepe's meditation camp.

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
Jeremy was dire in that first set, but a joy to watch in the second. Too bad he fumbled in the breaker.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
lol I was watching this match and Thiem vs Fognini simultaneously -- and the disparity in the quality of hitting between the matches is hilarious :lol:
Chardy is just a mediocre player, and Novak was vulnerable as hell too. Djokovic gotta up his game because at this rate, the first decent player he faces will send him back to Pepe's meditation camp.
Shoot, same thing here. TV on, laptop too. Trying to watch 2 matches at the same time :explode::lol:. I'm an idiot :speech::).

Yes, Djokovic won. Not surprised but Novak was so passive in the second set. Chardy gave it all. Poor fellow tried so hard. I kinda feel bad for him. It wasn't enough. He never won a set against Djokovic.

I cheered for Chardy. Just win a freaking set. Well :crying:. He won against Fed back in 2014 but he is clueless when it comes to Novak.

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
Shoot, same thing here. TV on, laptop too. Trying to watch 2 matches at the same time :explode::lol:. I'm an idiot :speech::).

Yes, Djokovic won. Not surprised but Novak was so passive in the second set. Chardy gave it all. Poor fellow tried so hard. I kinda feel bad for him. It wasn't enough. He never won a set against Djokovic.

I cheered for Chardy. Just win a freaking set. Well :crying:. He won against Fed back in 2014 but he is clueless when it comes to Novak.
It's not that Djokovic is mainly a bad matchup - Chardy is just a crappy player. His footwork is poor and his shotmaking ability is limited as well. It's more surprising how he managed to squeeze out a win vs Federer (although with the smallest possible margin).

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Watched only parts of the second set, and I agree he looked so ordinary. He better steps up or his chances to win the French Open will be close to none.
Even if he wins every match here with double bagel and takes the Madrid title it has nothing to do with RG. I'm not saying he'll win it 100%, but Djokovic's body language and effort level reveal that he's treating Madrid as a warm-up.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Even if he wins every match here with double bagel and takes the Madrid title it has nothing to do with RG. I'm not saying he'll win it 100%, but Djokovic's body language and effort level reveal that he's treating Madrid as a warm-up.
He treated Madrid as a warm-up to Paris when he won Madrid in 2016.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
It's not that Djokovic is mainly a bad matchup - Chardy is just a crappy player. His footwork is poor and his shotmaking ability is limited as well. It's more surprising how he managed to squeeze out a win vs Federer (although with the smallest possible margin).
I always say 'everyone can have a bad day at the office'. I don't want to derail this thread but that was a bizarre loss back in 2014.

I see Chardy as being one dimensional if you wish. He can hit some great shots but overall ... you know how it goes ... You have to be consistent.

Anyway, Djokovic did enough. Now, watching Fed :).

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,335 Posts
Djokovic almost lost a set to a mediocre Chardy on clay :lol:

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Didn't watch the match but it's good that Novak progressed in two. From what I read here Novak is still mediocre so he'd better up his level for the weekend.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
He treated Madrid as a warm-up to Paris when he won Madrid in 2016.
That Djokovic wasn't planning much and was just winning everything in sight. This one is much more shrewd. You're going to hate him even more. :wink2:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
It's fans of the king of pushers who are going to have a very very rude awakening a month from now, after months of self-delusion.

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,913 Posts
It's fans of the king of pushers who are going to have a very very rude awakening a month from now, after months of self-delusion.
When a guy wins 3 Slams in a row and his fans expect him to win more it's "self-delusion"? :cuckoo:

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Watched the first games of this and Djokovic did actually look pretty good to me. I guess he went back to his usual mug level making set 2 much closer afterwards.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts