Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First match saving match points since shanghai 2014 against Mayer. Which is bullshit... he did it also against wawrinka later that year, against cilic ab sb 16 against berdych at Miami 17 and against Paire at Halle 18 sorry for the big fat brainfart... I’m just so relieved now

Thiem will probably beat him though, but it was a nice run anyway. I’m happy whatever the outcome of the next match is. Now I can enjoy the rest of the r3 matches

·
Registered
527 Posts
Re: Madrid R3: [4]Federer def. [15] Monfils 6:0, 4:6, 7:6(4) Saves 2 MPs

Thiem has no chance against Federer. He's a heatseaking missile on his way to his second Roland Garros title.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts

I'm proud of Federer for reaching and subsequently winning a TB. :yeah:

Svitolina in ruins. :wavey:

·
Registered
5,922 Posts

Only started watching from the beginning of the second. Did Monfils get the starting time wrong? Anybody on that set.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts

First masters match or first match since 2014? Didn't he beat Cilic in 2016 Wimbledon saving mp's?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts

My 2 favourite players had match points and lost this week. Tennis can be so cruel. Btw the tiebreak was 7-3, not 7-4.

·
Registered
10,410 Posts

Fed managed to steal the third set right under Monfils' nose. He's probably gonna lose against Thiem, but overall he's had a good start into the clay season, reaching the QF of his first clay M1000 in three years.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Nice one. QF is a great result, defeated my expectations of early exit.

·
Registered
20,221 Posts

I don't even remember the last time Roger won a match after saving match points, it usually goes the other way around :eek:

great win :bounce: :yeah: onwards and upwards!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts

Chum jetze!!!!!

After a masterclass in the first set, Federer level declined drastically. His baseline game wasn't there, so he had to play fucking serve and volley, rushing to the net in insane situations. Monfils with the usual clownery when it really mattered. All non Federer fans must be royally pissed that Monfis did not win - that makes this ever so sweet >:)

Triple roast Thiem - Djokovic - Nadal should only be a formality now.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Secondserverer scrapes by. All his problems came from no first serves and he kept dropping the balls short. He will have a hard time against Thiem.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts

1200 wins let's goooooo!

I joined the matrch at 4-4 and was shocked at how bad Fed was, FH was in ruins, couldn barely find a point here and there and lost 5 in a row till 3-0 in the final set. Then slowly started raising his game til the very satisfying end.

Thiem tomorrow is a bonus match.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

This is not anywhere close to true. He saved MPs against Cilic at ‘16 Wimby and against Paire in Halle last year.
True completely forgot about those matches lol probably because he didn’t win the event in the end...

·
Registered
21,287 Posts

First match saving match points since shanghai 2014 against Mayer. Guess what? He won the tournament later on...

Thiem will probably beat him though, but it was a nice run anyway. I’m happy whatever the outcome of the next match is. Now I can enjoy the rest of the r3 matches
He saved match points against Wawrinka in 2014, Cilic in 2016, Berdych in 2017 and Paire in 2018 and now Monfils in 2019 ;p

·
Registered
990 Posts

Thiem will almost certainly annihilate Federer unless he falls down a flight of stairs tonight.

How Monfils has fans though I have no idea, the only people who should like him are clueless casuals who only ever watch highlight video's and think that they show the way players play the whole time.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts

Only Fed’s matches get me anxious.

I actually watched the third set in its entirety. Did not think he could make such a comeback, but it must be said that Monfils was physically done halfway through.

Very entertaining and exciting stuff! Shame Fed doesn’t have his 2017 BH for his next match

1 - 20 of 103 Posts