Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Garin the (clearly) better player.

But Medvedev fought and was solid in the second set. Good serving helped a lot.

Med was cocky in frustration and his aggressive intentional grunting is annoying. He grunted right from the beginning.

Net incident towards the end:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Medvedev did well in the second, and was taught a clay court lesson in first and third. Though I was not impressed with Garin either, he will lose easily to Berretini in the next round.

As a Novak fan, am happy that Medvedev lost early so Novak’s #1 ranking is stable for a bit more time.

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
As much as I like Medvedev and as much as want Djokovic to hold on to #1 spot... I have to say it would not be good for the sport if Medvedev would in any way get to #1 with such a sub-par clay game and with no GS titles.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
So glad Garin got through, Med needed his wings clipped for sure. Happy Garin could recover from his injury earlier in the year.

·
Your visions will happen
52,157 Posts
Well #1 looks very far away now and deservedly, does not need to think of #1 when even every match on clay is a question

·
Registered
735 Posts
As much as I like Medvedev and as much as want Djokovic to hold on to #1 spot... I have to say it would not be good for the sport if Medvedev would in any way get to #1 with such a sub-par clay game and with no GS titles.
Agree. At this moment, I can’t remember other past #1s who were so poor on clay. Even Murray, Sampras etc were much better.

Hmmm, even Roddick was a bit better.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Well #1 looks very far away now and deservedly, does not need to think of #1 when even every match on clay is a question
If a third of the season is played on clay, there is no way Med is going to get to number 1 unless he train’s in a different fashion and really concentrates on clay surfaces. I doubt that is going to happen. Now if Novak, Nadal and Federer all retire at the end of the season, maybe he would have a shot - a distant shot at number 1.

·
Premium Member
23,955 Posts
Honestly I thought Medvedev will reach here QF as I hoped his clay game has improved a bit, but this match again proved that this is not the case.
Medvedev can rally maybe better on the surface than years ago, but he still hits too flat to cause any trouble for the opponent.

Reactions: TheEndIsNear

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
And to think these 'clay' courts should suit Medvedev. Can't believe this guy is the number two in men's tennis. Laughable.

More proof the Wimbledon seeding system was good for the game.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Med did better than I thought he would but he’s still hopeless. Garin will lose easily to Berrettini next.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Time for Johnny G to activate that weeks @ Number 1 meter again ;
Another month or so.It's all gravy.Djokovic on circa 324 now chugging towards 353.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
You guys are being a bit rough on Medvedev here, first tournament back after COVID, first tournament on clay, I thought he battled well. We will see if he can get a bit better for Rome and RG. As for Garin, this is a match he needs to win, and he did.

·
Registered
8,502 Posts
Med was quite the brat complaining about "clay" to his team
Glad Garin won, I like this guy
I normally like Med but really would prefer to see Rafa #2 and Med doesn't play a clay game anyway
It will look worse in Rome or RG where the court is slower

·
Your visions will happen
52,157 Posts
Time for Johnny G to activate that weeks @ Number 1 meter again ;
Another month or so.It's all gravy.Djokovic on circa 324 now chugging towards 353.
Needs 375 to pass Laver, 378 to pass Steffi

1 - 20 of 31 Posts