Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excellent match.
Pella was very good and will have a nice Rome and a good French Open.

Stanimal is back and ready for everything.

Allez-absolutely everything.

Sensational heavy forehands
Wrong-footed Pella several times brillantly
Heavy shots and great point construction

Nerves hold? Semi check :|
Crazy wild forehands at match point? Double check.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Strange to see Wawrinka playing this well here. He usually sucks hard in Madrid.

Lets see how he does against Nishikori. They played only once against each other on clay with Wawrinka as the winner.

I would not complain about a Nadal vs. Stanimal clash in the quarters 0:)

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Turtleneck-wearing Stanimal gets a big victory! Only saw parts of this but its an impressive win against one of the in-form players so far in 2019. Not many people would have put Wawrinka to win while dropping only 7 games.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wonder what would've happened if he got broken in that last game. Pretty ugly ending, haha.
Yeah, 2 or 3 shanks/big misses on sitters at matchpoints in the last game, I was afraid that Stan loses the plot, but fortunately he could close it.
Also now he is a projected seed at RG, which is necessary to avoid other seeds in the first 2 rounds. :smile2:

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
The level was high as it was expected. Very strong win over an extremely in-form player for Wawrinka. As I've said previously, Wawrinkas level is generally pretty high but due to the nature of his game many matches come down to small margins and he has been tragically unclutch. Tried to choke today, too, but got the job done in the end.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Yes indeed, it was quite a weird way to finish the match with some huge miss hits on match points. But overall, it was good to see Wawrinka playing well. He needed the win too, as he is not yet sure to be seeded in Paris, this win should help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts