Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First set aside where it was fairly nervy, and Kei really having trouble winning pts on serve and having a W/UE differential of -7 or -8, the second and third sets showed far more control, Kei slowly but gradually working the rallies around the court, keeping Khachanov uncomfortable. He ended up +2 on winners to UEs. The BHDTL was an especially effective shot. Didn't expect the second and third sets to be as easy as it looked but certainly one of the few matches Kei has played since his return where I felt like his quality was somewhat vintage.

A good rally:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Khachanov is 5-15 in deciding sets against Top 100 players since the start of 2020 (4-9 in 2020 and 1-6 so far in 2021.)
9 of those 15 losses came after he WON first set. For whatever reason he seems to be completely unable to sustain the momentum, nor is he able to regain it after second set dive. Inexplicable really.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Today , my son talking with me for Nishikori can US Open 2021

It is possible?? I think no , I am big laughing for this , I am wrong??

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Khachanov is 5-15 in deciding sets against Top 100 players since the start of 2020 (4-9 in 2020 and 1-6 so far in 2021.)
9 of those 15 losses came after he WON first set. For whatever reason he seems to be completely unable to sustain the momentum, nor is he able to regain it after second set dive. Inexplicable really.
A couple of years ago, I thought Khachanov was going to be the best Russian, he was the first next gen Russian to win an important title with his victory in Paris Bercy in 2018 but actually ever since, he struggled. When you see him on the court, he does not seem happy. Is he like Bublik or some other guys just playing for the money ? Maybe. Whatever the skills or talent you have, you need to have the passion to reach the heights of the sport. Guys like Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray obviously have it. Among the next gen, it seems that Stefanos Tsitsipas has this passion. I think Jannik Sinner has it too (but a bit too early to affirm it). Khachanov is another player who can be happy with the frozen rankings otherwise it would be at least 10 spots lower

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
we need to see Kei have some more success, he's well overdue for a big result

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Today , my son talking with me for Nishikori can US Open 2021

It is possible?? I think no , I am big laughing for this , I am wrong??
Today Nishikori can US Open 2020. 2021 will go to Nole or whoever can Nole (unless 5 grueling sets, in which case whoever can whoever can Nole).

Despite Capgou’s unorthodox grammar he might be the most intelligible poster on MTF.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Nishikori has to do well here . He must for old times sake , he is due to a good run before he call it quits :unsure:

Reactions: Ilkae

·
Your visions will happen
51,355 Posts
Nishikori has to do well here . He must for old times sake , he is due to a good run before he call it quits :unsure:
Nishikori only Age 31y4m, so many years left for him

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Nishikori only Age 31y4m, so many years left for him
Mmm JG sadly he has many of the symtoms of those who retire early , maybe excepting lack of motivation (so far) which is important. However, that can easily be lost at the next injury . Lets hope none of these happen though !

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mmm JG sadly he has many of the symtoms of those who retire early , maybe excepting lack of motivation (so far) which is important. However, that can easily be lost at the next injury . Lets hope none of these happen though !
Most annoying part has been serve efficiency. He was able to overcome that weakness on average basis but I saw him win 45% of first serve pts towards the end of the first set against Khachanov and just facepalmed. How can you win like that. Fortunately he flipped the script in set 2 and 3 but you always feel that vulnerability and lack of easy pts.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
In overall, his career is going nowhere in this stage. He reminds me of Caroline Garcia of
WTA, had a very short time of great moments and after that is just filling draws.

·
Premium Member
9,271 Posts
Nishikori currently ranked #45. Could be a dangerous floater at RG, but can still make headway prior to that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Today Nishikori can US Open 2020. 2021 will go to Nole or whoever can Nole (unless 5 grueling sets, in which case whoever can whoever can Nole).

Despite Capgou’s unorthodox grammar he might be the most intelligible poster on MTF.
I cannot believe , it is for me 2021 Nishikori unequations of grand slam winner , for me NEVER ... but US Open 2014 final ... ok it is respect

My son believe and told that Nishikori can US Open 2021 .... ok watching but I cannot believe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts