Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess 99.99% here think there will be maximum 7-8 games for match!

I know I'm a little insane. Sorry)

But I think Nadal can lost calm here if something go out of the control as he never played against young spanish before.

Alcaraz is not PCB and even not RBA. It why I think he have chance as have more unpredicted game. And he not so weak mentally!

He already beat some good players...

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
If Nadal loses to Alcaraz here, he must have some serious issues as it'd be a very bad loss for him given how green Alcaraz is and how the young guy idolizes Nadal.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I guess 99.99% here think there will be maximum 7-8 games for match!

I know I'm a little insane. Sorry)

But I think Nadal can lost calm here if something go out of the control as he never played against young spanish before.

Alcaraz is not PCB and even not RBA. It why I think he have chance as have more unpredicted game. And he not so weak mentally!

He already beat some good players...
Alcaraz may be a great talent, but he is very inexperienced. He has been losing to a lot of players recently (see below) that are not Top 10 talents nor are they clay court beasts. The run to the SF in Marbella was impressive, but Munar was a winnable match. Munar is 23 (turns 24 on 5/5/21) and has a career record on clay of 30-31 so he does not exactly have a distinguished resume.

Alcaraz could have become the 1st player in a long time to crack the Top 100 prior to his 18th birthday (5/5/21), but he has squandered multiple opportunities over the last few months to gain points by losing winnable matches.

Interesting: I just noticed that Munar is exactly 6 years older than Alcaraz (both were born on May 5th).

Miami - Lost to Emil Ruusuvuori (ranked 83) in 1st round
Marbella - Lost to Jaume Munar (95) in SF (great victory over Casper Ruud (26) in QF)
Barcelona - Lost to Frances Tiafoe (65) in 1st round
Estoril - Lost to Marin Cilic (42) in 1st round (after winning 2 qualifying matches)

Regards,

-David

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Hopefully an interesting match this one, and not just one way traffic.

Yet, I don't see your bold prediction coming true this time Malvin - even if I have to say there've been other times when I didn't either, but somehow you had those guessed right all along.

But like I said, I'm looking forward to this match. Carlos can only learn from this match, provided that he goes on court with the right attitude, and not just the pure fanboy one.

·
justice for all
18,039 Posts
My expectations aren’t high for this match. The only thing I want is Carlos to give Rafa a good fight and I believe he will.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Alcaraz may be a great talent, but he is very inexperienced. He has been losing to a lot of players recently (see below) that are not Top 10 talents nor are they clay court beasts. The run to the SF in Marbella was impressive, but Munar was a winnable match. Munar is 23 (turns 24 on 5/5/21) and has a career record on clay of 30-31 so he does not exactly have a distinguished resume.

Alcaraz could have become the 1st player in a long time to crack the Top 100 prior to his 18th birthday (5/5/21), but he has squandered multiple opportunities over the last few months to gain points by losing winnable matches.

Interesting: I just noticed that Munar is exactly 6 years older than Alcaraz (both were born on May 5th).

Miami - Lost to Emil Ruusuvuori (ranked 83) in 1st round
Marbella - Lost to Jaume Munar (95) in SF (great victory over Casper Ruud (26) in QF)
Barcelona - Lost to Frances Tiafoe (65) in 1st round
Estoril - Lost to Marin Cilic (42) in 1st round (after winning 2 qualifying matches)

Regards,

-David
He'd have cracked the top 100 already if not for the frozen rankings. He's at 65 in the Race.

·
Registered
318 Posts
He'd have cracked the top 100 already if not for the frozen rankings. He's at 65 in the Race.
Ended last year's race in the 69th spot. He's been a top 70 player for a while now.

He's been losing a lot of close matches at ATP level (won more points than Ruusuvuori, same points won as Cilic and 2 points less than Ymer)(1-4 at TBs on Tour, 3-7 on the year), hopefully he wins a close one soon and reverts the trend, all his underlying numbers look good.

We'll see what he can do against Rafa. Hopefully he can put up a battle.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
This is a dangerous match for Rafa, it reminds of when 17 year old Rafa played Federer in Miami for the first time and beat him 63 63. Rafa was flying around the court like a tornado.

Young Alcarez I predict will be similarly inspired and will be flying around like a human tornado and will play the match of his life. Will it be enough to slay the dragon king? I also give the upset a big chance of happening.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Jimmy Connors also when he was a young unknown teen upset Roy Emerson in the Southwest tournament CA, right after US Open. Jimbo was also 17 I believe. I remember he said he would have done anything to win that match and he did. Alcarez will have the same mindset and this will be big danger for Rafa.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
This is a dangerous match for Rafa, it reminds of when 17 year old Rafa played Federer in Miami for the first time and beat him 63 63. Rafa was flying around the court like a tornado.

Young Alcarez I predict will be similarly inspired and will be flying around like a human tornado and will play the match of his life. Will it be enough to slay the dragon king? I also give the upset a big chance of happening.
Before he met Federer, Nadal had already beaten, among others, numbers 12 (Massu), 14 (Novak) and 16 (Schalken), as well as taken Lleyton Hewitt to 2 TBs at the AO in the same year. I can't see anything closely comparable in Alcaraz' achievements up to now. He has exactly one top 20 win against an out of form Goffin who was losing almost every match at that time. And he has lost to Munar, Tiafoe and Cilic in the last three tournaments. I see not the slightest indication that he could be a threat for Nadal right now.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Any predictions are usless until messiah @pepsi_addicted shares his prophetic dreams. Haven't you learned anything?

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Before he met Federer, Nadal had already beaten, among others, numbers 12 (Massu), 14 (Novak) and 16 (Schalken), as well as taken Lleyton Hewitt to 2 TBs at the AO in the same year. I can't see anything closely comparable in Alcaraz' achievements up to now. He has exactly one top 20 win against an out of form Goffin who was losing almost every match at that time. And he has lost to Munar, Tiafoe and Cilic in the last three tournaments. I see not the slightest indication that he could be a threat for Nadal right now.
The players beaten is a good argument, Nadal had indeed shown more potential at that point even on HC. However, you didn’t mention that Massu retired in their match, and if you look closely Schalken‘s results prior to the Nadal loss were almost identical to Goffin’s prior to the Alcaraz loss, so it can also be said that Nadal beat an “out of form Schalken”;) The recent losses also don’t mean anything, you could find a bunch of bad losses for Nadal in that period too, so basically Nadal has 1 more legit top 20 win and a slightly better slam showing. If you argue for Alcaraz, you could also say that Ruud is a sure top 20 player (maybe even close to top 10) on clay, so that win could also be seen as a top 20 win. Not trying to say you’re wrong, but IMO the difference isn’t as large as what you imply.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Nobody predicted Rafa to beat Federer that first meeting in Miami Open. But he did it 6363.

·
Registered
21,954 Posts
Nobody predicted Rafa to beat Federer that first meeting in Miami Open. But he did it 6363.
Now somebody has, so the jinx actually might not work. :censored:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts