Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty funny match, because both players were uber-pissy and sarcastic, and poor Fergus Murphy was getting it from both ends. The main complaint was that the advertising boards were bright neon and made it hard to see the ball. Stan complained about it first and ump said there was nothing he could do; then later Sousa complained and Stan ran right up to support him (or maybe to be all "SEE I TOLD YOU SO", depending on your point of view). Both of them were standing there gesturing and being pissy in French-and-Portuguese flavored sarcasticness. Shortly thereafter, the advertising boards were dimmed to a more reasonable level.

Tennis players, united in pissiness:

The DJ, of course, promptly proceeded to troll them by playing "Smiley Faces" on the next changeover.

As for the tennis, Sousa got the early break and actually served for the first set. Stan, however, turned up his level when he needed it, at the tail end of both sets. Not the prettiest of wins (though there were some pretty shots), but he'll take it for sure.

Reactions: Bashak

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Madrid R2 Wawrinka d. Sousa 7-6 7-5

Good hitting from Stan but started spraying errors, got the break back when Sousa was serving for the 1st set. Both complained about the blue background displays which made it difficult to see the ball when at below-knee height

·
Registered
893 Posts
Sousa should have won the first set, too bad..

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Unrecognisable from the mug who lost to Diva in MC. A really good performance both gamewise and mentally. Just hope he can build on this.

·
Registered
14,480 Posts
Good for them to stand up against ridiculous neon advertising :yeah: (they could have been nicer to the umpire though since it was not his fault...)

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good for them to stand up against ridiculous neon advertising :yeah: (they could have been nicer to the umpire though since it was not his fault...)
I did feel bad for the ump, haha. They were both so hilariously pissy.

·
Bring it Home
21,141 Posts
Sousa were inches away from pulling a Henman and hitted a ballboy after an UE. I wonder if Murphy would've defaulted him, he didn't defaulted Kyrgios last week. :lol:

Stan didn't played very well, he looks out of shape to be honest, but a win is a win I guess.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Stan didn't played very well, he looks out of shape to be honest, but a win is a win I guess.
I thought the same, maybe due to the break-up with this wife?

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought the same, maybe due to the break-up with this wife?
He was coughing a lot in the first set, so he may be slightly under-the-weather.

·
24,299 Posts
At least it was in straights. Not sure how it started, but Stan had many opportunities with 15-30's, but it is not until Sousa Serving for the Set game that he was able to do it, and played a very good tiebreak. 2nd Set is quite what I want to see with Stan -- steady, yet was able to find the opening when he should, and closing it out well (well, almost -- did have 40-15 but gave Sousa an opening with a BP but saved it). Good first serve % from Stan with 55% that I hope is his norm in the tournament. Still needs to protect that 2nd serve more with only less than 50% won but had an excellent 1st serve points percentage.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Unrecognisable from the mug who lost to Diva in MC. A really good performance both gamewise and mentally. Just hope he can build on this.
BS tho..

Stan was in the exact same mode, but Sousa couldn't keep him there and allowed him to work himself back into the match.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Sousa were inches away from pulling a Henman and hitted a ballboy after an UE. I wonder if Murphy would've defaulted him, he didn't defaulted Kyrgios last week. :lol:

boy, that was close :eek:

TV didn't even get it, so no replays, but it did look like the ball was within 1m distance from the crssing ball boy, with quite the pace..

·
Registered
10,245 Posts
I loved how they united and told the umpire to do something about those flashy advertisements. Wawa was also telling something to the tournament director. :cool:
It's really annoying playing tennis when you can't see the ball properly. Like when the light is bad (in the evening), but in this case there was too much light. :lol:

Wawa is quite a ballbasher thesedays, but has a sense to stop going for huge shots when he sees he's making a lot of errors. Joao played well and made a lot of balls. Good defence and some nice forehands,
Stanimal is yet to be unleashed...

·
Registered
14,480 Posts
BS tho..

Stan was in the exact same mode, but Sousa couldn't keep him there and allowed him to work himself back into the match.

Disagree. Stan played much better than against Dimitrov (which is admittedly not very hard to do).

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Disagree. Stan played much better than against Dimitrov (which is admittedly not very hard to do).
you probably started watching at Sousa's choke, serving for the set.

I even tweeted during the match that Stan was in Monte Carlo mode, he was useless, throwing careless FHs and BHs 3m wide and 1m long.

Until Sousa decided to go volley and make "smart" drop shots to get broken back lol

Then there was a match.

Grigor didn't let him get back, that was the main difference.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Well, Sousa is improving. His service and BH are way better, specially his 2nd serve. 1st serve wasn't there last nigh like against Jerzy, Sousa told that. Sousa was actually really pissed for his performance because he really felt that could've won. But Sousa is playing well in clay, that's really good news.

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
bye luckysa :woohoo:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts