Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gasquet with the biggest win of his career, that of most annoying racket head colour ever.

·
Registered
404 Posts
A nice practice session for Roger for his first match on clay in 3 years :clapsss:

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Fed with a nice warmup. Still too early to judge his form, as Gasquet was barely moving.
Monfils or Fucsovics next will be quite challenging and Fed might get grinded too soon.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Quite an event to see Roger back on clay. A very fine match, he is ready, prepared, with great tactics and returns.
Funny drop shots. Madrid could be just the right tournament for a very good week. I can even see a tournament win.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Too soon to get so enthusiastic. Fed was fine, but nothing special. Fh clicking, but bh is not so sharp. And he was strangely grunting too often, hope i am mistaken and is nothing.
Either Monfils or Fucsovic are indeed good tests to see where his level is. But there is hopefully room for improvements, at least serve is good.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Federer looked great! (for his 1st clay match in 3 years) Hit a lot of winners, thought he would stand on the baseline but stood a foot or so back, he ..still moves great on clay I thought.
He might crash out here early, but I think he can go deep at the French.

Lol at the dropshots off Gasquet's serve, why isnt this used more often?

Where to find match stats of winners/unforced errors?

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Too soon to get so enthusiastic. Fed was fine, but nothing special. Fh clicking, but bh is not so sharp. And he was strangely grunting too often, hope i am mistaken and is nothing.
Either Monfils or Fucsovic are indeed good tests to see where his level is. But there is hopefully room for improvements, at least serve is good.
He was grunting because his 1st serve % in the second set dropped and he was annoyed with the shanks... he always grunts when he’s unhappy with his game... but he upped his level at 3:3 significantly more

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Gasquet was not in good enough shape to really trouble Federer. A few nice dropshots, but also too many UEs by Federer. We'll know more about his real clay form after the next match against Monfils/Fucsovics.

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
Pretty fresh stuff from Fed considering it was his first competitive clay match in quite a while. Gasquet wasn't really a threat today though. Interesting to see how far Rogi will go here

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
If you are coming back from injury or havent played in 3 years on clay then facing Gasquet is the best scenario. I even like him, but he is nver a threat to top players.

·
Registered
263 Posts
That's the moment you can really compare 2019 Federer to 2015 version - the last time he played on clay without injury. Now plays way more agressive, risky shots. Interesting to see.
A little bit rusty but winning in 52 min. after not playing on clay for 3 years... not bad. Very good serving, good volleys and expect many more drop shots this clay season

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Quite an event to see Roger back on clay. A very fine match, he is ready, prepared, with great tactics and returns.
Funny drop shots. Madrid could be just the right tournament for a very good week. I can even see a tournament win.
Clear, Concise and Concrete.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I thought Gasquet looked a little bit hampered by an injury. He wasn't moving well and looked resigned to a loss early on. Federer will be happy to get a win on clay but there are lots of match-tough players who will give him trouble. Federer has a bag of tricks to stay competitive and could potentially relish the underdog role, but most matches are going to be a lot tougher than this one. It's still always a pleasure to watch him play.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Solid first round. Nothing more, nothing less.

Can Federer really defy all odds and succeed on clay despite his age not by grinding, but by offensive, creative tennis with variation and that special touch? There are many doubters, and I am one of then. But how many times has Federer proven us all wrong? We should always expect greatness from the true GOAT of tennis.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I thought Gasquet looked a little bit hampered by an injury. He wasn't moving well and looked resigned to a loss early on.
He looked in pain or exhausted in his first round too. It's his first tournament after an operation, being 6 months out of competition. His expectations were obviously very low.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Gasquet also looks out of shape, pretty bulky.
I have doubts obviously from Fed, but as always, the bigger the challenge and the underdog role, the sweetest the defying of odds from the old wiZzarderer.
Oh glorious times, i for one am enjoying every match from now until the greatest player that ever stepped on a tennis court decides to ride into the sunset of eternity of sport. I am sure all his true fans have the same butterflies every time this golden boy of tennis offers us his last portions of greatness with every month that passes. What a legend, thank you.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts