Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Madrid R1: Querrey def. Kokkinakis 6-4, 6-7(6-8), 6-3

Sam really should have won this in 2. double faulted on break point when serving for it in the first set and then was up 6-4 in the tiebreaker then lost the next 4 points. Played a great point to break in the 3rd set and closed it out easily. Sam was the better player in this match and was the rightful winner in the end really.This should never have gone 3

for thanasi..well, he's done great in qualifying this year but has rarely translated that to a win in the main draw

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Re: Madrid R1: Querrey def. Kokkinakis 6-4, 6-7(6-8), 6-3

Even for Querrey standards it would be hilarious, if he would lost this match.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Sam is a real choker. I am glad he got the job done though.

As for Kokkinakis, I think he needs to play challengers more than he plays qualifying draws. What's the point of qualifying for every tournament only to lose in the first match? I think he won only one match in the tournaments he qualified for and that was in Delray Beach.

·
Bring it Home
20,353 Posts
Kokkinakis should've killed that backhand in the 5th break point, but instead he went for a club level shot that even Querrey was able to reach and hit the passing shot.

But since he should've lost in 2 if not for Querrey's huge choking, I think it's ok.

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
Re: Madrid R1: Querrey def. Kokkinakis 6-4, 6-7(6-8), 6-3

That defence from Clayrey at 4:3 AD:40 3. set was out of this world :worship:
Yes, there needs to be a video of that. Genuinely one of the points of the year.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
solid win despite what the critics will say

no one is perfect and it's just as easy to hit a big miss at the beginning of the set as it is the end for someone like Querrey. if he were that much of a 'choker' he would have performed far worse in the third set than the second, regardless of if he let Thanasi back in the match

keep it up Sam!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Querrey almost choked on kokk.

Thanasi's still got a long way to go. Definitely second the notion that he should play more challengers and less qualifying draws since he's barely won MD matches.

·
Registered
29,207 Posts
Querrey lolz how the hell is this guy ranked #39? Houston?

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Man, qualifying into everything would work much better for Kokk if he could win a main draw match once he gets there. He's 5/5 in qualification attempts this year, but I think he's only backed a qually run up with a MD win once. All the other times he's lost 1R. (To Kudla, Lajovic x2, and Querrey. The only exception was Delray Beach, where he won 1R over Krajinovic and then lost 2R to Karlovic.)

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,559 Posts
Both had trouble on second serves it seems from the stats but served well, and Querrey let control slip from a break up in the second.

·
Registered
21,633 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,559 Posts
Querrey lolz how the hell is this guy ranked #39? Houston?
SF in Memphis too this year but he was relatively unclutch playing Nishikori who was decidedly clutch especially in the final TB.

Not sure about other tournaments...I guess some US ones down the track?

EDIT: ^ oh yeah some vulturing of challengers :lol:

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
Sam is a real choker. I am glad he got the job done though.

As for Kokkinakis, I think he needs to play challengers more than he plays qualifying draws. What's the point of qualifying for every tournament only to lose in the first match? I think he won only one match in the tournaments he qualified for and that was in Delray Beach.
Playing weaker opponents in challengers won't make him a better player. He is clearly competitive at this level, 5 wins over top 50 players this year, so it would make no sense to drop back down. Sure he has had some bad defeats but that happens to pretty much every young player, it is a normal part of their development.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
His 2nd serve isn't good enough. He should win way more points on it against such a mediocre returner as Querrey. And he should definitely add more speed on the 1st serve. It will be necessary against TOP20 players.

This is becoming a Kokk standard, losing the 1st round after perfect qualifiers.

The other problem from this match is Kokk's weak ROS. However, that's standard for young players.

Better luck next time.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,323 Posts
Playing weaker opponents in challengers won't make him a better player. He is clearly competitive at this level, 5 wins over top 50 players this year, so it would make no sense to drop back down. Sure he has had some bad defeats but that happens to pretty much every young player, it is a normal part of their development.
My thoughts exactly.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts