Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vanni moves through to face his countryman Bolelli in the next round.

·
Registered
22,230 Posts
First main draw win for Luca since his Sao Paulo run :worship:

Not even Challenger or qualifying wins before this tournament. Bolelli is a really kind draw in the next round.

·
Administrator
9,548 Posts
Tomic is the living legend of something in kind of anti-clutchness without even choking

·
Registered
19,564 Posts
Expected loss for Tomic, he has just not improved enough on the surface.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
tomic is a disgrace

·
Ace Loveforty
83,410 Posts
attaboy Luca

fantastic result after a tough period with a back injury

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tomic didn't sound too confident in his clay abilities at the players' party.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
not really that much a surprise. Tomic has improved on clay but he is still one of the best draws a guy can get on this surface

its hard to tell if he will ever be a factor on clay, my guess is not.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Bad result for Tomic. At least it's not his best surface anyway so I expect him to being doing well again in the grass court season.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
losing in a third set TB can't be about the surface.

No excuses this time, pure choke.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Sick momentum shift when Tomic was serving at 45 in the second. Before that, Tomic was working him around beatifully and exposing his poor movement. It was so bad, Vanni was barely in the right position when serving.

·
Registered
22,230 Posts
Tomic didn't sound too confident in his clay abilities at the players' party.

Nishikori's 'Special K(ei)' nickname will do well in the party scene.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Solid performance from Vanni. And by solid I really mean solid, because he didn't have to play some extraordinary tennis today. Once when he limited amount of errors and improved his serve, match was competitive. Enough to said Vanni hit 11 aces in third set, while he had only 5 in both first and second set combined. And don't forget that Bernie blew 0-40 in 3rd game of second set. Could be even straight set win for Tomic, but Vanni delivered. No surface excuse.

Reactions: Spadea TT

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Good result. Tomic played a hilarious tie-break he wasn't attacking but still couldn't keep the ball in the court.

·
Registered
375 Posts
ALL HAIL THE #VANNIMAL!!!

I knew when the Vannimal held after being down 3-6 0-1 0-40 that he'd take this. ToTo imploded.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I'm so so happy for Lucone. He is really a great guy, who has been dealing with a lot of injuries. Fantastic to see him come up big in a Master1000, after the fairytale run in San Paolo. :woohoo:
Too bad he won't be getting any wildcard in Rome (his only chance is Bolelli getting a direct entry, unfortunately).

Sick momentum shift when Tomic was serving at 45 in the second. Before that, Tomic was working him around beatifully and exposing his poor movement. It was so bad, Vanni was barely in the right position when serving.
It surely was a momentum shift, but Vanni, after the first horrible service game of the match, has never got broken again. He served really well and Tomic, except that 0-40 at the start of the 2nd set, didn't have that many chances.
I'd say that Vanni, except that nervous start, played really solid, taking risks at the right time (like that backhand to get 3 set points in the 2nd set). He showed some masterclass drop shots too. Then, we all know that he has problems on backhand, especially on low balls, but today it didn't matter in the end.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts